MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Blazin Bakers
Found some matches.

Default New Jambo backyard pit

Hey Guys, new member and first time posting a thread. Have frequented the forum from time to time and learned a lot so thought I would seek some help from you guys.

I am putting a deposit on a Jambo backyard pit this weekend and was hoping for some must have’s as I know Jamie provides several customization options. I understand the backyard model doesn’t offer the customization options as his other pits but was hoping for a few suggestions or at least some “watch outs”.

This will be my first stick burner and want to make sure I do it right. I’ve cooked on a WSM in the past and the last couple years on a BGE. Looking for more room and a true offset firebox setup. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Blazin Bakers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, I don't have a Jambo, but I have cooked on an offset for many years. Sounds like a very good step for you. I'm looking forward to seeing you learn on it.

You should introduce yourself over in Cattle Call so we can give you a proper welcome.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Blazin Bakers
Found some matches.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Bdub
Knows what a fatty is.

I went to a comp here in Oklahoma and it seemed that 3/4 of the guys were using Jambo Pits. They look like awesome pits. I would love to have one in my backyard.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Copronymous
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Talk it over with Jamie. I know a couple of guys who bought Jambos and he really helped them learn their new smoker.
Copronymous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

Check out the brethren sales section. A member has one of these posted you may want to check out.

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Blazin Bakers
Found some matches.

I'll talk it over with Jamie for sure, hoping to get some feedback from folks that have cooked on a Jambo backyard pit.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I've had 3 Jambo's so what are you specifically wanting to know?
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
NickyG
On the road to being a farker

Most people I have talked to run around 275 degrees. It has never occurred to me to ask if you can dial it down to 230-250 degrees. Can you?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Blazin Bakers
Found some matches.

Guess I'm looking for some:
- wish I would've done that to my pit
- I've seen this and wish I had thought of it

I know im not much help here, just dont want to miss something and regret it later. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

Add the upper rack over the side closest to exhaust stack. You will also want front casters if you have to move it around. The casters should be standard imo.

As far as cooking on one, you control the temp by the exhaust stack. The intake vent can be adjusted with a wrench, you will find that they are setup to run 270* or so out of the box. I've never tinkered with mine, no need to.

I start the fire with a chimney full of lump. Once the pit gets up to 200*, I will add a split. Once that split gets going good and coals have burned down a bit I will add another 1/4 split. I've found that going with a larger fire(3 1/4 splits) and cooking at 300* allows me 2-2.5 hours of unattended burn time. Cherry wood. No experience with a harder wood like hickory.

Any other questions, fire away. The build quality is awesome and there is something about smoking on a quality stickburner that is hard to describe. The timing isn't right for me otherwise I wouldn't even consider selling mine.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
Blazin Bakers
Found some matches.

Thanks LTG, that is exactly what Im looking for. Spoke with Jamie last week and looks like he's about 12 weeks out on his backyards. Thats OK, its worth the wait. Plan on teaching my son to cook on this one.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Get the biggest pit you can afford and have space for. Space is the one thing you can't really add, and you'll be surprised at how soon you'll be wishing for more... When we bought our Lang 60, I was sure that I'd never fill it up. But at least 3 times a year, i'll have to use a second pit or do two cooks back to back... Also, think about doors. One large door, or two doors without a divider make handling large cuts of meat and whole pigs a lot easier. Especially if you can get a one piece rack that can be slid out the door.

Congrats on the upgrade, and good luck!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely get one large door for a backyard pit.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.