MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Default Simple Brisket...

Trying the hot and fast method for first time on a 14 lb packer. Never cooked a packer before so the trimming was a learning experience. Trimmed little closer than the 1/4" recommendation in a place or two because was trying to do it by sight and feel and since I had neither saw it or felt it, well, it was more like blind fold stumble and fall method.

Kept it simple and just slathered it with the yeller mustard... Put a copious amount of freshly ground coarse black pepper, Kosher salt, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. Not sure how much of any of it cause my daughter and I just go by smell when we season meat. She and I have a nose like a bloodhound when it comes to cooking. Can just about taste of something and tell my wife exactly what ingredients she used and what she either didn't use or should have used more of... Pisses her off too. Daughter inherited the cooking from me and I got it from MawMaw. Wife can't get nothing past us and usually when she makes something and turns her back either my daughter or myself "fixes" it for her and she usually doesn't catch on... Always attributes setting time to her food tasting better after she lets it rest a few minutes... LOL... It ain't resting, it is salt, pepper, sometimes a little fresh garlic roasted or something we decide to kick it up a notch with. It is almost a game with us now.

Briskie went at about 5:30 in the p.m. and I know that is probably a little late, but hey, it was the earliest I could get home from church, walmart, picture takin, and get the thing trimmed ready to go on.

I have plenty of pics, but they are on the Iphone and I will have to figure out how to get them on here. I can send pics with an email, message or whatever from this sucker but haven't figured out how to post to the forum yet.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

sounds like a plan is unfolding.

you need to upload those pictures to a image hosting site first, then link to them.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Is it done yet?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Is it done yet?

It isn't that HOT AND FAST But it is getting there. Not sure if I need to pan it and cover with foil or not... What is the verdict? To foil or not to foil? Foiling will make it faster or not??? I'm getting anxious and I need to get my teeth in this sucker before I have to go to bed. :)

I have sent a couple of pics to fb, I will see if I can link them here.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Ron_L

Foiling will speed up the cook, but it's up to you if you foil of not.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

This is a picture of the thing still in the wrapper... Before the knifing incident.

This is after I trimmed it.

Did I trim it too much? I went as absolutely deep as I could in those fat kernel pockets.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

When is the best time to foil? I checked it a few minutes ago and it was at like 154 in the flat and 165 in the point.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Ron_L

I foil based on color rather than temp. When the bark is the color that I like, I foil it. I generally check the temp just for fun and it's usually between 160 and 165, but the color is the important part to me.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Add liquid to an aluminum pan with meat and cover with foil or just wrap it in foil? I usually put chuckies in a foil pan with peppers and onions and beer. This is different though. Going for a brisket like a brisket and not a chuckie for philly cheese steak sammiches.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post

Did I trim it too much? I went as absolutely deep as I could in those fat kernel pockets.
You are looking to get rid of all the HARD Fat the soft fat will melt away.
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Probably did too much trimming then. That thing was sooo fat on the fat cap side that there was probably 1-1 1/2 inches of it. Fattest dang brisket I ever saw. Wife brought it home yesterday.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Won't be long now. Just stuck it and in one spot it slid in like nothing... But everywhere else just a little resistance. So I'm thinking maybe 20 more minutes or so.

BTW, decided on pouring about 1/4 - 1/2 Redd's Apple Ale in the pan with it. I know it works miracles with pork butt.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Hot off the cooker at 9:40 p.m. EXACTLY 4 hours.... Daggum, that was fast.

Few slices. I would like for the smoke ring to be a little larger and more pronounced, but hey, the flavor was spot on all the way through. This was done with just mustard, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder... No injections, finishing glazes, sugars or any foofoo or powder puff stuff. It tastes like beef. LOL

I'm thinking I may need to try again soon to see if results are duplicatable.

BTW, my daughter wanted to know what the difference was in the flat and point. I told her to cut a slice of the point and cube it up. She did and tasted it. Next thing I know she is holding a knife telling me and her mom that we need to stay on that healthy flat side and she would take care of the heart attack end for us. LOL She says she is an athlete and will run the excess fat and cholesterol out of her system on the soccer field. LOL Dang youngins.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks good to me

Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That look great! Congrats on the first briskie! I agree that you don't need to overspice the meat. Beef just wants salt and pepper. Ok, maybe some garlic too... and a little paprika. Oh, nevermind!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote