MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need some questions answered.

here is the identical Smoker i currently used.[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a list of my questions.

slow cook is what i am aiming for 225 to 250 would be the max

1. I will be hosting a party for 40-50 ppl I plan on cooking 2 briskets 12 and 14 pounders. and 1 pork butt. would this been enough to feed also cooking sides as well.

2. With the pork butt should this be cook longer or shorter than the brisket? Is there a rule for it like the brisket 1 hour per pound

3. Is there a thermometer that can do pit temp and food temp that does not break the bank and works with my smoker?

Thank you in advance for all the help
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll let you do the Math you going to loose 40% of the weight after cooking figure 5 oz cooked product as an average per guest with sides and appetizers. Men eat more Wimens and Childrens less.

Butts and Briskets will average 1.5 hrs per lb at those temps so you looking at a 19 hr cook based on the biggest piece. Be careful not to overload that pit if you stop up the draft your going to have problems maintaining temps. I never monitor meat temps I use a $5.00 oven thermo on the grate from HEB
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
smokinb
Knows what a fatty is.

I like the maverick pit and food temp thermo with remote and warnings.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et73.htm

My last brisket cooked similar in time to pork butts. All depends tho.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

I will be using 2 hondos as well for this cook
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Default get a must have thermometer

This is a cheapo wireless from walmart like $15 I put it in a balled of foil on the cold side and figure 20 deg higher on the hot side. I can walk all over the house with it. Then stick it in the meat at the end to make sure, dont trust the feel test.....

I am now comparing much better thermometers as its time to upgrade but this one was a good starter.

Ps I do fat up 2.5 hours flip it 2.5 hours then wrap in foil 2.5 hours 250deg using oak only for brisket.... can you say phenomenal!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130505_142025.jpg (60.8 KB, 42 views)

Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_hellraiser View Post
here is the identical Smoker i currently used.[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a list of my questions.

slow cook is what i am aiming for 225 to 250 would be the max

1. I will be hosting a party for 40-50 ppl I plan on cooking 2 briskets 12 and 14 pounders. and 1 pork butt. would this been enough to feed also cooking sides as well.

2. With the pork butt should this be cook longer or shorter than the brisket? Is there a rule for it like the brisket 1 hour per pound

3. Is there a thermometer that can do pit temp and food temp that does not break the bank and works with my smoker?

Thank you in advance for all the help
1. IMO, you need at least .4 pounds of meat per person, allow for 50 folks, you need 20 pounds. Assuming 26 pounds of brisket, untrimmed and one 8 pound pork butt untrimmed, with a .5 loss factor, you have 17 pounds of meat. If you trim the fat, then you lose about 1.5 pounds per brisket and 1 pound for the butt. You are 5 pounds short. Do a second butt.

2. At the temps you are talking, the butts will likely take longer than the brisket, it might be a lot longer. At 225F, a butt will easily take 15 to 18 hours, a brisket should be less by a couple of hours. Although here is the deal, since you can hold either meat for hours in a cooler, why not allow 20 hours for both, and pull, wrap and cooler as each one gets done. Long rests are good for both meats.

3. I rarely measure meat internal temperature, I do use a single probe maverick at times, if I am worried about maintaining a temperature range. I tend to cook at one setting on my UDS, and that ranges from 275F to 310F, and I don't sweat that too much.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.