I swear by this brisket marinade...

mawil1013

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I swear by this brisket marinade... I mix all of it together for the mop.

The original recipe is a mop for beef brisket, by Walter Jetton, LBJ's favorite BBQ'r.

I will trim two briskets (10-12 pound each) then using an 8 gallon round igloo cooler, soak the briskets for three days in the mop, no more, no less.

Because it uses beef stock, you gain beef flavor. The taste permeates the brisket and you'll never have a dry brisket ever again. If your like me, once you taste this you won't go back. It does alter the taste from pure beef, the spices are through and through the entire brisket, but I like it!

By: The Caterer to the LBJ Ranch: Walter Jetton

Copyright, (1965 By Arthur Whitman
All rights reserved.
Published by Pocket Books, Inc.

Mop for all Barbecue Meats

Use this to rub over meats or to baste them while they are cooking. Put it on with a little dish mop of the kind that you see in the dime store. As you use it, the flavor will change and improve, for you are constantly transferring smoke and grease from the meat back to the mop concoction. If you have any left over, keep it in the refrigerator.

3 tbs. salt (note: Use kosher or canning salt)
3 tbs. dry mustard
2 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. ground bay leaf
2 tbs. chili powder
3 tbs. Lu'siana Hot Sauce (note: I assume this is Tabasco)
2 pints Worcestershire sauce
1 pint vinegar (note: white)
4 quarts bone stock (note: or use canned beef broth)
1 pint oil
3 tbs. MSG or other pep powder (note: Accent)

Make the bone stock just the way you would start a soup-buy good stout beef bones from the butcher and boil them. Add all the other ingredients and let stand overnight before using.

About 6 quarts

Thanks. Louisiana Hot Sauce is not Tabasco, it is sold as labeled. 2 very different sauces.

Thanks. Louisiana Hot Sauce is not Tabasco, it is sold as labeled. 2 very different sauces.

Thanks, didn't know as I couldn't find it in my local stores, couldn't compare it to anything, I've used, Tabasco, Frank's, Texas Pete and If I'm in a mood, Dave's Insanity sauce :boom:!

Remember, Walter was direct cooking over an open pit where mopping was part of his fire control.

For what it is worth, in many people's opinion, brisket is too big and thick for a marinade to penetrate deep enough to be significant. It is enlightening to me that you have found it works for you.

Remember, Walter was direct cooking over an open pit where mopping was part of his fire control.

For what it is worth, in many people's opinion, brisket is too big and thick for a marinade to penetrate deep enough to be significant.

Also if you are cooking indirect, mopping isn't needed. Opening the lid to mop only slows down the cook due to the heat loss.

Walter was a caterer, showman, his briskets were precooked than he warmed them up on site, so his was not a bbq purists technique.

IMHO; brisket is not too big to take on flavor the way I do it, there is a well defined flavor added with my technique.

Agree mopping is not typically used in indirect cooking, I don't use it as a mop, I use it to flavor the brisket by soaking the brisket in the 'mop' for three days and since it absorbs moisture during my technique, a mop would be a waste in indirect cooking.

Additional: Next time I make the 'mop' I'm thinking of eliminating the vinegar completely.

Interesting. After three days, i would imagine the flavor has penitrated the full brisket. Looks like a pretty normal flavor profile, similar to lots of injections. I don't know why it wouldn't be good. Maybe salty with all the Wish sauce, etc? But i guess not.

I assume you have a recipe with smaller portions for home use?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

WJ used to cook his brisket in a DO and finish on the pit where the mop was applied he never marinated anything. That is a good Mop sauce I've used it a time or two.

I'd be worried about the vinegar changing the texture of the meat as well as the meat losing some of it's natural beefy taste. The color of the meat will be affected too if the meat is left in this mixture/brine for too long. Just my 2 cents...

Back