MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Gas vs. Electric? (Gasp!!)

So....Gas or Electric?

.:Back story:.
I'm looking at rigs that I can use without having to sit and babysit for hours on end. Mostly for big cuts like pork shoulder that take longer than I want to sit out in the cold for. I'm also looking for something to use during the winter when charcoal is tough to come by too. (except for Kingsford (gag ))

Right now, I'm looking at cheaper gas and electric models. I found a Masterbuilt "mini fridge" smoker on CL for $100 basically down the street from me and think I might jump on it. But I want some opinions on whether I should maybe go gas instead.

HAVE AT IT BRETHREN!!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I've had both, of the 2 the electric is easier. It has a thermostat and is " set it and forget it". That being said, my UDS is actually as easy and more reliable, the Masterbuilts have a tendency to have electrical and element problems.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

You could always go the pellet pooper route which is electric start and then fan driven. So it is a wood fire and you can grill and smoke with them.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
You could always go the pellet pooper route which is electric start and then fan driven. So it is a wood fire and you can grill and smoke with them.
I'd be lyin' if I haven't considered it. Know of any good ones that are under $250?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have had all the above. It is all about your budget. For $250 you could hope for a used Traeger pellet pooper or someone dumping a Big Green Egg (ceramic cooker).

However, if you are going to go electric, you will eventually want to go with something better that allows you to smoke in a more moist environment so you don't dry the food out quite so much. My advice, buy the Masterbuilt and save your money for something that you will really like.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

What don't you like about Kingsford charcoal? It's what many of us use in our WSM's and Cajun Bandits.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Mind you, I dont live in MO (snow & all), but I dont have to babysit too much, even though I use an offset. I'm thinking you may be doing a few other things less-than-stellar that may be hampering your efforts.

That aside, way back when I had a much smaller offset and could only cook 20-30 lbs of meat at one time, I used a trick to help. Shhhhhh. Be quiet now. Dont tell anyone. It's called an: Oven. Yep, put the meat on for 3 or 4 hours on smoke, then bring it in, foil it up, put it in the oven for the remainder of the time. Side benefit, the house smells like BBQ. I still do this for smaller cooks when I want fresh BBQ at 9am in the morning. I'll put it on smoke for 4 hours, take it off around midnight, foil it, in the oven it goes and shut-eye I get.

No need to spend extra money.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

I haven't used an electric smoker so I can't say anything about them, but I do have a Masterbuilt propane smoker. After the first smoke I learned where to set the knob, and where to put the chips for no flare ups, and since then it's been set and forget.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've got a Masterbuilt 40 (from Sam's) and love it. I have used it for brisket, butts, ribs, and slow smoking sausage and tasso. It's not perfect but it has been dependable. It's insulated and depending on what I'm cooking I use the chip loader or my AMAZEN smoke generator. The smoke generator is used for slow smoking since the heat element doesn't cycle enough to keep the chips going. It hasn't replaced any of my other cookers...just added some real nice flexibility to the arsenal.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
BobM
Babbling Farker

I find KBB to be fine.
If you don't want to tend a pit, get a WSM or build a UDS. Then get an ATC system for it, fire her up, and go sit inside by the fireplace.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

I had a chepo stick burner that set me back years in my quest for good BBQ. The Masterbuilt 30" that I got after that restored my faith in backyard smoking. Super easy to use and can turn out great food on the cheap. I have since moved on and gave it away but it was the first cooker I had that consistently produced good food.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Mind you, I dont live in MO (snow & all), but I dont have to babysit too much, even though I use an offset. I'm thinking you may be doing a few other things less-than-stellar that may be hampering your efforts.

That aside, way back when I had a much smaller offset and could only cook 20-30 lbs of meat at one time, I used a trick to help. Shhhhhh. Be quiet now. Dont tell anyone. It's called an: Oven. Yep, put the meat on for 3 or 4 hours on smoke, then bring it in, foil it up, put it in the oven for the remainder of the time. Side benefit, the house smells like BBQ. I still do this for smaller cooks when I want fresh BBQ at 9am in the morning. I'll put it on smoke for 4 hours, take it off around midnight, foil it, in the oven it goes and shut-eye I get.

No need to spend extra money.

I dont understand why people forget about an oven. I did this on Sunday as I couldnt pan up 2 pork butts in my mini. I had the 2 pork butts cooking in the mini until I got the bark the color i wanted. Then panned both of them up. One in the oven and one in the mini. I couldn't tell the difference in the product, neither could anybody else.

Meat stops taking smoke on after 140 degrees. The extra time in the smoker, the smoker is basically an oven.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just build a UDS!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Stacks
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Just build a UDS!
Agree! Since I've built mine, I rarely use the WSM's. Keep it out of the wind and the temps stay rock steady. I should also mention I use a PitmasterIQ . Set it and forget it.
SAUCED HOG BBQ / KCBS CBJ #60733
Stacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I dont understand why people forget about an oven. I did this on Sunday as I couldnt pan up 2 pork butts in my mini. I had the 2 pork butts cooking in the mini until I got the bark the color i wanted. Then panned both of them up. One in the oven and one in the mini. I couldn't tell the difference in the product, neither could anybody else.

Meat stops taking smoke on after 140 degrees. The extra time in the smoker, the smoker is basically an oven.
E X A C T L Y!!!!

Plus, most of us already have one or two of them in our kitchen, built-in, paid for....
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote