MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #76
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh, a mini UDS. Yeah, at 25 CFM you have 5 times the CFM you need for a mini UDS. This will definitely lead to wild temp fluctuations like shows on your graph.

I don't think you will be where you can test your software like you want till you have a smaller fan. But here is a suggestion to make the best of what you have on-hand.

- Cut the intake of the fan to 1/8" of what it currently is. Tape over the air inlet is an easy way to do this.
- Set the target temperature up high, like 325F or 350F. This will require more air so your PID loop has a better chance of stabilizing that oversized fan at a reasonable speed.
- Use on/off control instead of just variable speed. Maybe that is what you are doing, not sure. There may not be a maintainable fan speed slow enough to keep the pit at the desired temp (meaning at some point you will lower the voltage down to the point where the fan either stalls, or doesn't have enought juice to start spinning the fan.
- Put a long pipe between the fan and the smoker inlet. This will increase drag which increases back pressure reducing the air flow rate at the same fan speed (typically). Might help, might not.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #77
jcm2m9
Knows what a fatty is.

Any update on this?
jcm2m9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #78
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes, but this update doesn't have much good news.

I ran some more tests but the controller keeps overshooting the desired temp. I think the PID algorithm is throttling the fan too late so I will start playing with the PID settings. To make sure it's the settings and not the algorithm itself I swapped out my PID code for the WPI code you linked above (thanks for that!). That took a while because the WPI code had a lot of stuff that I didn't want/need. Even though the controller is overshooting the temp it's pretty cool to be able to chart a cook.

I did some re-wiring over the weekend so I can run the controller from a battery (I was getting tired of snaking an extension cord out of my second-story window). Like a complete moron I didn't pay attention to the polarity and fried my IOIO board when I attached the battery. *sigh* If I had paid an iota of attention to what I was doing it would have been averted but no, I'm an idiot. I can verify that an IOIO puts out a lot of smoke when you reverse the input polarity. Anyway, a new one is on the way and it'll take me some time to reassemble it.

While waiting for it to arrive I've been taking the time to work on the web server part and other additions. Once I get a basic web page working I'll move on to adding alarms.
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #79
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
The current iteration supports 6 probes but only one fan. There's no technical reason the controller can't operate more than one fan (and more probes). I'd probably be able to help you update the software once I get it all working with one fan.

I plan on writing up step-by-step instructions on Instructables.com and it'd be great to have a guinea pig to help me iron them out. :D
Deeg,

I just stumbled across your thread.

If you would like, I will help you. I have an Arduino, a buttload of resistors, some iGrill probes, a DS18B20, AND a UDS.

PM for contact details.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #80
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

As hobby it is interesting. But if you want easy BBQ, why do not buy ready made commercial controllers.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #81
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Because its fun to make it yourself. Ill be watching this also.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #82
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Update: I'm back in business. I got my replacement IOIO and repaired the controller. (And yes, I'm adding a diode to prevent me from being an idiot again. Well, I'll still be an idiot but at least I won't have to pay for it.) While waiting for the part to arrive I took the time to update the hardware with a much smaller blower. I'm also fiddling around with the PID settings.

I ran another test today and the new blower/PID settings seemed to help. I'm still having issues with the temperature shooting past the set point at first but then it settles down and holds a pretty steady temperature. Here's the chart from today:

I'm pretty pleased with those results (green line is blower speed, flat blue line is target temperature, other two lines are the thermometers). Clearly the blower kicked in when the temp dropped to target and kept it steady. Now I just need to replicate it. :)

On the downside, the range is still not good. I tried using a different bluetooth dongle and it does have a longer range but the connection is flaky and will cut out for no apparent reason. I will continue to look into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
If you would like, I will help you. I have an Arduino, a buttload of resistors, some iGrill probes, a DS18B20, AND a UDS.
Thanks SmokinJohn. What I plan on doing is writing up the plans at Instructables.com and get feedback from any of you who try to build it. Just so you know, I'm not using an Arduino but something called a IOIO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
Because its fun to make it yourself.
Exactly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chart.jpg (7.2 KB, 132 views)

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #83
jcm2m9
Knows what a fatty is.

You are making nice work. What was the time frame of the chart above. How much did the temp increase when the blower kicked on at the end?

Have you tried running it for several hours?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #84
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Deeg what are you using to make your andriod app?
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #85
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2m9 View Post
You are making nice work. What was the time frame of the chart above. How much did the temp increase when the blower kicked on at the end?

Have you tried running it for several hours?
Funny you should ask. :) I ran another test last night for a total of ~4:30. It took ~30 minutes to get up to temperature and then ran for ~4 hours at the target temp. Here's the results; I'm quite happy with it:

The red line is the pit temperature and the one the controller is using to monitor the UDS. As you can see it keeps a very steady temperature other than a 8-degree dip early on. I'll guess most kitchen ovens aren't more accurate than that. :)

I still haven't tested with food in the smoker so that will be next. I need to add the grills first, which I hope to have done by this weekend.

I'll start putting together the Instructables.com page with some pictures and the parts I used. The thing that will take me the longest is creating a circuit diagram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_hellraiser View Post
Deeg what are you using to make your andriod app?
Are you talking about the software? I'm writing it in Java 6 in Eclipse using the Android plugin. The DB is sqlite and the charting software is AChartEngine. Does that answer your question?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #86
jcm2m9
Knows what a fatty is.

That is awesome.

I am excited to start building one.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #87
nrm
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Been lurking on the Brethren for a while and just found this thread. It's awesome, keep up the good work. I have a UDS (55 gal) and love it. I would like to have a temp controller, especially a DIY one. I will be following this thread.
nrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #88
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Thanks SmokinJohn. What I plan on doing is writing up the plans at Instructables.com and get feedback from any of you who try to build it. Just so you know, I'm not using an Arduino but something called a IOIO.

Exactly![/QUOTE]

Any progress on the instructable? I would love to try this. Great job!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #89
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I've put up some pictures and started a list of the parts. Once that's done I'll start filling in with directions. You'll need some patience with me: I can code with anybody but my prose is awful and often ambiguous. I will listen to any and all constructive criticism or anything you think will make the step-by-step directions easier to follow.

http://www.instructables.com/id/E5X914VH7UR7LEK/

The Instructable page is private (meaning it hasn't been published yet) which means you can only get there if you know the URL above. Once we've ironed out most of the problems I'll publish it. Thanks all!

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #90
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I've updated the instructions with a list of all the parts, links, and prices.