Rate My Box

Craig0648

Reaction score
Let me hear it. New to the Comp Circuit, and want some real honest feedback from the Brethren. This was our turn in box for the 2012 Swinetastic in MD.

Attachments

• IMG_20120616_145159-1.jpg
    IMG_20120616_145159-1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 317
Well, if it was a KCBS event, you need at least 6 ribs, and there can be no dressings (the green stuff) in the turn in box. From the picture (which is hard to judge from) I would give you a 7 for appearance. I am not a certified KCBS judge, but have judged under their rules. Just my two pence worth.

Well, if it was a KCBS event, you need at least 6 ribs, and there can be no dressings (the green stuff) in the turn in box. From the picture (which is hard to judge from) I would give you a 7 for appearance. I am not a certified KCBS judge, but have judged under their rules. Just my two pence worth.

No dressing (green stuff) sorry to disagree with you but yes you can. Rule 12 states optional and also described what can and cannot be used.

Craig there is a comp section. I say it would be better to post these questions in that section to get feed back from CBJ brethren.

There's 8 ribs in the box. KCBS allows garnish of parsley, cilantro and/or leaves of green lettuce. I would recommend reading the KCBS rules before you judge again.

Craig, I moved this to the competition forum.

The picture is a little dark, but I'd probably give it an 8. The rib placement is a little haphazard and the ribs look a little dull and aren't screaming at me to eat one.

Solid 8 IMO. Could just be the pic but they look just a bit dark/dry. Maybe a spritz would shine them up a tad? Also, they vary in length so the symmetry is off some, but I also understand wanting to put the best bones in the box so it's not going to affect my score a whole lot. Cheers!!!

I agree on them being dark colored and not that nice red color I like to see... They also look a little thin. Might should have done the double cut so you get more meat on each side of the bone... But you do sacrifice a bone in the process.

Overall I'd say a 7. It doesn't scream EAT ME!

5 maybe a 6 in person. The ribs look brown, leathery and dry. Like others have said, there is no enticement to grab one and start munching.

I would have tried to line up the ribs in the back by using the top ribs to cover the difference in the lengths to make it look uniform. Try to group them together better. The ribs look dry and blotchey. Solid 6 possibly an 7.

A bit dark in the photo, maybe better in person. I'd give this box a 7 or 8. Looks pretty good to me, maybe a bit dry.

When looking at a photo I always score broadly to account for lighting, angle etc. I would go 7/8.

Nice pull-back and your slices appear to be even. The color is a little uneven, and I think the angle of the shot makes a couple of ribs in the top row look short (so no score down for that.)

I think you are off to a good start. As others have said color looks a little dark and could benefit from a little shine. Another thing that I would consider is change how your ribs lay on on another. Lay first row with exposed bones in the center of the box and then lay the next row on top of them with the exposed bones at the bottom of the box. Hope that makes sense. I think that laying them in that configuation comes off as more organized/appealing and easier to hide mistakes. keith

Not a CBJ, but my initial gut score (after a 6 second glance) was a 7.
I would suggest lining the ribs up better too.

These were 8s from 3 judges, 9 from one judge a 7 from one and a 6 from one. Still trying to figure out the 6.

Attachments

• Fred Ribs.jpg
    Fred Ribs.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 161
These were 8s from 3 judges, 9 from one judge a 7 from one and a 6 from one. Still trying to figure out the 6.
And you should send a thank you note to the judge that gave you the 9. keith

Try to get your color and cuts more consistent. Ideally, you want each rib to look like the other as if you cut them all from one rack. I would also try to get a cleaner glaze. Looks very blotchy. Keep practicing, your off to a good start!

If the first box in the thread is a 7/8 this one should be a 10/11.
I;m just saying we always jump on the low score as being out of line and in this case I think it is but we never seem to think of the high score as being out of line and in this case I think it is also. keith

Maybe this will help a little. I cleaned up the photo as best I could.

CD

Attachments

• IMG_20120616_145159-1.jpg
    IMG_20120616_145159-1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 71
Back