tough roast

stanimals2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I found a beef rump roast in the freezer from our last beef and thought maybe it would be good slow cooked on the hillbilly smoker. I injected it, rubbed it down , wrapped it in foil and off we went. I put it on at around 200 degrees and cooked it until 1:30 last night. I couldnt wait to get home tonight to try it, well tougher tha shoe leather is all I can say all be it good tasting shoe leather :shocked: Well needless to say it is now in the slow cooker in chicken broth cooking down, if that doesnt do it the dogs will eat good anyway :thumb:

Bummer. If you try one in the future, do it at a high heat, say 325-350 and cook to your desired level of steak/roast doneness (medium or whatever).

My experience has been that these roasts don't have enough internal fat to break down well with slow cooking (unlike brisket or chuck). Thus, I agree with Chris. Use high heat and get it to the doneness level you want (I like medium) then slice it very, very thin across the grain. Makes a great sandwich.

What was the internal temperature when you took it out of the cooker? I cook lean roasts like that to 125 - 130 internal.

Well I have to admit after it was all said and done it might have turned out to be the best pot roast I ever made, might have been a good mistake !! After cooking half the night in the slow cooker it fell apart as tender as I ever tasted aand the rub and smoke made a great flavor I have never had in a pot roast. Who knew LOL!!

Yup like Hub said it's a lean piece of meat that has no reason to be slowe cooked. Smoked yes but way to lean. Cook high heat to med at the most slice thin and enjoy.

Back