MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default The FIERY FURNACE Breathes Again!!!! --PORK PRON

After Dan's big trailer smoker made it to my place about a month ago, I have had a chance to do a couple of good burns in it to familiarize myself with it again.

Not only is this thing HUGE, it's also a very evenly cooking smoker for as big as it is. Of course, there's some hotter spots and some cooler ones, but overall, it runs pretty evenly. Got it up to over 400 on the first burn with about 15 lbs of Kingsford to get a nice kick start, then just 4 logs, stacked "log cabin style" and let it run until it burned out. Didn't smell too good.

On Monday of this week, I did another burn and after it warmed up, I gave it a really good scraping, removing the 3 cooking grates (each 3'x5'!), scraped the ceiling, all walls and floor, scraped the cooking grates really well with both a scraper and wire grill brush, then put it all back together and sprayed it all down with 3 cans of spray vegetable oil. Loaded up the FB again and let it roll and it smelled a lot better.

This weekend, our parish is having it's 7th annual Festival and once again, I'm doing pulled pork to be sold in the food tent, but THIS YEAR, I'm also doing about 600 pieces of chicken (about 200 white quarters, 200 dark quarters, 100 legs, a few cases of wings and some chicken tenders) for a SMOKED CHICKEN dinner on Saturday night.

This morning, the first round of cooking started. I injected 20 butts with Chris Lilly's pork injection, rubbed with Big JT's Sweet & Spicy rub and put it all on the smoker, which wasn't even CLOSE to full. If needed, I could probably get twice that much on that sucker.

Here are some photos of things so far......

THE FIERY FURNACE

Lit a full chimney of RO lump, threw that on about 2 more UNLIT chimneys worth of lump, let that all get rolling then threw on 1 large 1/2 split of oak. Within 30 minutes, 3 out of the 4 door thermos were reading 325.

The PORK....

Injecting (photo taken by my lovely bride before she left for work)......

Rubbed & ready......

BEFORE

AFTER

As you can see, 20 butts didn't even begin to fill this thing up. I have them 3 deep on there, but could squeeze 4 deep if I wanted (although the last ones would be tough to reach, even for my tall, long armed self). There's a really hot spot just above the FB on the right, so I didn't want to put anything there yet. The bottom left is a cooler spot in the smoker, so I'll throw things down there as they get closer to done.

Threw another couple of logs on and let it roll......

IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!!!

THE PLAN

They all went on at about 275 degrees (need to go see where it's settled in at) at 6 am EST sharp. I plan to wrap them when the color gets right and, when done, throw them all, wrapped, back into the coffin cooler that I pulled them out of this morning. I need to have them all over to the church (about 20 minutes away), and start the pulling process and be ready to start serving pulled pork at 5:00 pm. I'm also hauling the FIERY FURNACE over to the church when I go, so if for some reason some of them are stubborn, I'll just relight the fire and throw them back on to finish, but I don't think I'll have a problem. I hope to be loaded and leaving the house by 3:00 pm (9 hours from now).

HERE WE GO!!!!

SOOO.....

There's a bright crescent moon out, my favorite constellation (my son's name is Orion ) and all the other bright stars, it's a beautiful morning, there's PORK a-smokin, and I'm sitting here drinking coffee and hangin with the BBQ BRETHREN.

What MORE could a man ask for?

Gotta start working on breakfast for the kids, who have the day off from school due to the festival. I promised 'em PANCAKES!

More PRON to come!
I also plan to post a photo thread of the entire Festival Experience sometime later in the weekend, so keep a lookout for that.

HAPPY FRIDAY!

God Bless!

2 members found this post helpful.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
IamMadMan

Looks like a plan that is well under way.....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for the pics. That thing is a MONSTER!!!!!
Glad its in the hands of an experienced man like you. It could hurt a lesser man

Oh and pancakes???????? With that smoker going I expected nothing less than fattys!!! "

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

That's a lot of 's!! You've got the injector I want....how do you like it?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Thanks for the pics. That thing is a MONSTER!!!!!
Glad its in the hands of an experienced man like you. It could hurt a lesser man

Oh and pancakes???????? With that smoker going I expected nothing less than fattys!!! "
I'll be putting on 6 fatties later for the BAKED BEANS that we're serving with the smoked chicken tomorrow night.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Guando
Full Fledged Farker

Looking forward to more pics. That thing is a beast!
Guando is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanch450 View Post
That's a lot of 's!! You've got the injector I want....how do you like it?
LOVE it. I like the brine pump a little better for big jobs like this because it's so much quicker and more "ergonomic". I didn't have access to the brine pump this time. It's Jimmy's (indianagriller) and it's at his place.

The one I used here will give your forearms a farkin WORK OUT!

Still.....MUCH quicker to inject with this than with the regular "load every time" injectors. I had these 20 butts injected in about 10 minutes. It'll pump as quick as you can squeeze it.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
The Smoking Pig
Knows what a fatty is.

Sometimes life ain't too bad, days like that make you feel lucky to be alive.
The Smoking Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Awesome looking cooker (and the pork).
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

As always a great cook from a righteous man! Love dem beans Wampus. Naked Fatties, well you know what they do.

RULE

Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Wow! Very nice!

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Looks like a great morning! And a good smelling one too. I love the smell of pork and smoke in the morning.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
peeps

That thing is HUGE!!!

Can't wait to read more!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Wow, it's a good thing you guys didn't have to haul that down to Dan! That thing is a freaking monster! Everything looks great! If the wind is right, maybe I will be able to smell your cook from Chicago! Good luck.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
jaynostic
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That amount of meat at once is intimidating as heck to this new guy. I did 1 pork butt last saturday and that was enough work for me. It's pretty awesome that you're capable of a cook like that I am thoroughly impressed.
jaynostic is offline   Reply With Quote