Attempting my first brisket this weekend

gourmand71

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I can't be the first guy to share their plans for their first brisket. Here's what I have in mind. Please let me know where I may be wrong.

It's a small flat, 5.62 pounds.

• Saturday night, I will slather the brisket with mustard and pickle juice, roughly 50/50
  • I will then rub it (but not too much) with coarse salt and pepper (a little more pepper than salt), and also a little garlic and onion powder, and a dash of smoked paprika.
  • I'll wrap it tight in plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge.
  • About 6 a.m., I'll get it out and let it warm up a bit, and start the smoker at 205
  • Once the smoker is ready, I'll stick it in... :doh:
  • I'm going to use hickory (Traeger pellets), apple wood chips and, later, a dash of Jack Daniels whiskey barrel chips, with apple juice in the water pan.
  • I do not plan on spraying or mopping, as the Masterbuilt keeps moisture in pretty well
  • I plan on about 6 hours (1 hour per pound). At the 3 hour mark, I'll wrap the brisket in foil, realizing the bark will suffer for it.
  • Once it hits 195 or so, I'll take it out and let it sit for about an hour

Anything out of whack there?

Mustard is for Hot dogs. Pickle juice??.... on a Bisket???:shock: Put it on a cold as possible. Cook it hotter than 205 more like 275 or it will dry out, cook until it is probe tender

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!" For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

205 is kind of a waste of time IMO. its just not necessary. pickle juice, grape juice, apple juice whatever. rubs/slathers are negligible imo on briskets. some of the best briskets i've ever had were non injected, salt and pepper briskets. some of the best also had all sorts of gobbledy gook on them. i don't really think it matters much.

Did I read 205* correctly? At that low of temp you're gonna have some expensive brisket jerky. I'd go with 250-275* smoker temp. Moreover, flats alone can be very difficult to cook and not dry out. Personally I'd only hit it with smoke for a couple hours MAX then I'd toss it into a foil pan with some liquid(beer, whatever) loosely cover with foil and cook her till tender. It'll be different from a standard brisket but it'll still be tasty. Flats tend to not cook the same as whole packers, so if you're looking for that type of finished product you may be disappointed.

Did I read 205* correctly?

That's based on tender results from folks with the same kind of smoker as me. But that's why I'm here, to get some guidance.

Unlike other meats (butt and ribs, for example), there seem to be as many ways to smoke a brisket as there are to skin a cat. But why you'd need to skin a cat is beyond me.

At least...I assume it's a flat. Not small, but has been trimmed some, obviously.

It's from Costco.

meat.jpg

Back