MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Burger.

I finally had a chance to grind some fresh burgers last night using my new Kitchen Aid mixer and grinding attachment. I think I'm gonna like this thing. Nothing real fancy here but I did get a chance to use the Oakridge Black Ops I got from Mike. It was great on the burgers and I can't wait to try it on some brisket.

I used chuck, what types of meat do you guys like to use for making burgers?

Here's some pr0n.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

Grilled burgers, not much in this world beats that.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll sign up for that!
Question...what is on the right of those burgers on the grill?

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
I'll sign up for that!
I had the same question...sort of looks like it could be a (really well seasoned) grill top thermo

Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
gtr

Quote:
I'll sign up for that!
It's a smoked up oven therm, right?

Looks fantastic! And as stated, it really doesn't get much better than a home grilled burger. I also use chuck. I think I've used short rib mixed in there as well. Basically, whatever little bits I've got in the freezer end up in there.

Well now the fuse is lit, and it ain't going out till I grill me some burgers and get out the tater tots I have in the freezer.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
deguerre

I love chuck for burgers. It was my favorite, in fact, until I made some with 50/50 bison and lamb.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
It's a smoked up oven therm, right?

Looks fantastic! And as stated, it really doesn't get much better than a home grilled burger. I also use chuck. I think I've used short rib mixed in there as well. Basically, whatever little bits I've got in the freezer end up in there.

Well now the fuse is lit, and it ain't going out till I grill me some burgers and get out the tater tots I have in the freezer.
Ever fried tater tots in an oil and bacon grease mix? Try it. I dare ya.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
fingerlickin'

Quote:
I'll sign up for that!

Yep those guys ^^^ are right, it's my banged up oven thermo. I don't know why I even put it in there. I didn't look at it and even if I did you can't see what the fark it says anymore.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
MisterChrister

Looks great Jason, I want that attachment for our KA too. Heard of some folks grinding ribeye for gourmet burgers, but I just can't bring myself to do it!

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
fingerlickin'

To be clear, those are crispy crowns, we prefer them over regular tater tots. They really are "crispier".

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Midnight Smoke

Nice Cook, Grinding your own Burgers will let you experiment with different cuts. I like a Brisket/Bacon mix.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Looks fantastic!! I got the KA attachment about a year ago. Nothing beats fresh ground chuck for me. By the way, I'm sure you figured this out, but if you cut the meat into strips and freeze it for about 45 minutes, it goes through the grinder MUCH more quickly and easily.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post
Looks fantastic!! I got the KA attachment about a year ago. Nothing beats fresh ground chuck for me. By the way, I'm sure you figured this out, but if you cut the meat into strips and freeze it for about 45 minutes, it goes through the grinder MUCH more quickly and easily.

I think I remember hearing about the feezing thing before. I did cut it into strips and that worked great. It was only about 1.5lbs and it came straight from the fridge so it went pretty smoothly. I'll keep the slightly frozen thing in mind for a larger batch.

[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
BobM
Babbling Farker

That looks great, good job!

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 01-07-2013 at 04:39 PM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Ever fried tater tots in an oil and bacon grease mix? Try it. I dare ya.
<--- not for the idea, but for the thought that I haven't done that multiple times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
To be clear, those are crispy crowns, we prefer them over regular tater tots. They really are "crispier".
I hear ya. Tots is just what I have in the freezer. Maybe I'll get the potato pills next.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote