MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #106
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
creekstone also sells other grades of brisket... mostly choice, there is a food purveyor close that can get me creekstone but they are about 12 lb packers...
Nothing wrong with a 12 lb packer.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #107
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Over the last weekend, after many brisket disasters, including one that may have cost me a trip to the Sam's regionals, I decided to cook a brisket until it was done.

By nature I am a specific person. It must have a deadline, finish line, or end point to make me happy. So the brisket rule "it's done when it's done" was killing me.

So I put the brisky on the WSM at midnight - 250 deg and went to bed. Got up at 6 and wrapped it. Good bark, did not check the temp. Around 10am I started checking with a toothpick for doneness.
At 12:15 pm I finally understood what I should have been looking for all along!
Now I get it. It was spectacular, it had the WOW factor that I was looking for.
No thermometers, no probes, no time limit, just a toothpick and a lot of faith.

I can't wait to cook my next one.

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #108
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfejr View Post
No thermometers, no probes, no time limit, just a toothpick and a lot of faith.
It really is as "easy" as that. Just have faith brother.....

Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #109
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Wow, somehow comments 1, 3,4,5, are all gone now?
Yep. This is Q-Talk and they (and others, so don't feel persecuted) were completely off topic.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #110
landarc

I am pretty sure there is a difference in how he cooks his brisket and how mine come out.

If I ran a restaurant, I would also take 12 pound packers if I knew they were coming in every week as 12 pounds, and I could get cases of them all the time and the quality was consistent.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #111
gtr

Does this mean stabbing a brisket like the scene in "Psycho" isn't the way to go? (not that I've ever....um....)
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #112
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
guys..

hate to take all the fun out of here.. but..

Aaron Franklins briskets are cooked NO DIFFERENTLY than most of us..

his target temperature zones are wide, and he doesnt pay that much attention to them.. 250-270-- even 300+ degree spikes.. he doesnt care. He just cooks.... just like us, and his rubs are simple rubs. What he does that most of us dont... is he KNOWS briskets.

How do I know this?.. I got the lessons..i cooked with him for 2 days in NYC last week at Meatopia. Back in June, I got a call from a friend who needed someone to help his 'friend' who was coming here to cook and needed hands and equipment.. so I agreed and told him to pass on my number, and the next day i got a call from Aaron Franklin.

i went down to the venue with a double barrel lang 84.. we were given a load of oak and a little cherry.. Aaron had a box with his knives, some terrycloth rags and a roll of butcher paper. He mixed his rub right there.. very simple as he traveled light. We had to prep and cook 50 briskets for service 4PM Saturday. We started 8Pm Friday night.

he trimmed like we do...
he rubbed like we do...
he put the briskets in the pit just like we do..
and he loosly maintained temps... not too concerned about where.. 250-275...290...300... 260.... whatever..the only time he got concerned was when grease caught fire on the deflector plate and started toasting some of the briskets on the bottom shelf. Otherwise.. hes cooks anywhere within the range..

whats different?..... he looks at a brisket, listens to it.. picks it up, feels it, puts it down moves it to different spots...makes determinations..based on what he sees and feels... not once... not a single one... of the 50 briskets ever saw a thermaopen or a probe.. (he had a lime green one that sat in his knife case..never took it out..) he would glance at the pit temp and control airflow by cracking the door to the pit and never touched a damper.. he said his pits in austin dont have dampers on the doors, just the exhaust.. and he controls air with the doors and he controls smoke with how he builds his fires.. he wraps in butcher paper like everyone sees in the videos and he returns to the pit.. and its done when he picks it up, feels it with a squeeze and says.. this ones done, this one needs another 30 minutes, this one needs some higher heat(and moves it closer to the firebox)... he goes by feel.. that is IT.. no magic.... experience... many of us can pick up a rack of ribs, and know if its done by look and feel.. judging the firmness of the meat and the bend to the rack.. and thats how he is with briskets.. he feels it and just knows..

On saturday, after cookign 50 briskets, on a cooker he has never used before, and with nothing in the way of supplies except his knives and a cutting board... he was the one with the line that never ended..Even during a storm, folks never left the line.. and on top of it all..he walks away with the title of Meatopia Grand Champion, leading out over 49 other professional cooks, including APL and and an Iron Chef..

How'd he do it??.. he knows briskets.. period... there is nothing special.. no secrets, no magic ingredient.. chit, he won using completely different wood than he normally uses... he goes by feel, and consistency.. he cooks 1400 lbs a day.. think about it..... thats 90+ briskets A DAY! I dont do that in 2 years. We can analyze this until we are blue in the face..

Franklins briskets are the result of experience..thats it... its not temps, hold times, not the rubs and he does not sauce(he serves sauce on the side to dip).

its simply his experience... so if you want to duplicate his product.. start cookin.

THAT is farkin AWESOME. Great post. Thanks Phil.

It seems so logical and simple. I remember when I would never CONSIDER cooking a pork butt without a temp probe in from the beginning of the cook. Now my remote thermos haven't been used in about a year and I rarely even get out the thermopen (well.....we do use them at comps to double check a few things like $M, chicken, etc). I can tell when a pork butt is done pretty much by feel now, but I've done so many more butts than briskets.

MAN I wanna get the fark out of work and go cook some briskets RIGHT NOW!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #113
landarc

The problem, as I see it Wampus, and I learned this from my days in construction, when there was enough work to buy brisket, I had to work, when I had no work, there was no money to buy briskets.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #114
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Does this mean stabbing a brisket like the scene in "Psycho" isn't the way to go? (not that I've ever....um....)
If you stab a brisket enough times it will be tender. Just sayin...

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #115
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Fat jiggles?

And great Q starts with great meat

Paul

Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #116
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I don't think anyone has said this yet, and I still believe in fat cap DOWN, but I'm pretty sure in the second video link posted with the No Reservations clip, Aaron Franklin goes fat cap UP.

Who will change their SOP at least once or twice to see if there is a difference?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #117
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the great post BBQChef33! I hope to get to his level one day. I cook about 1,000 pounds of brisket per week at my place (SMOQUED BBQ) and seem to understand brisket more and more after each cook. Crazy to think he does more in 1 day than I do in 1 week.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #118
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
I don't think anyone has said this yet, and I still believe in fat cap DOWN, but I'm pretty sure in the second video link posted with the No Reservations clip, Aaron Franklin goes fat cap UP.

Who will change their SOP at least once or twice to see if there is a difference?
That's where I draw the line... fat cap DOWN!!!!
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #119
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Yep. This is Q-Talk and they (and others, so don't feel persecuted) were completely off topic.
LOL This is what I am talking about. LMAO. There never WERE ANY comments 1,3,4,5... LOL.

Ahhh the legend still goes on. So, they could not have actually BEEN removed by anyone. This is priceless! LMAO!

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #120
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

sorry double post, duh

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote