• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The "I like my grilled meats no longer walking" appreciation club

Mooo baby mooo,

money2.jpg

working1.jpg

carnivor.jpg

Be careful....you could get stampeded eating this.:thumb:

I'm used to "medium" chicken, too. At first I was not too sure, but when I lived in Hong Kong, it was often served where the joints would be bloody. I got used to it and now I quite like it that way. Most people I know though, especially here on the forum would not eat it.

Cheers!

Bill

I think he is saying "If chicken were, by some miracle, suddenly safe to eat rare, would you?

And I'd say nice strawman.

Michael,

A strawman argument would be, You prefer your beef rare, therefore you prefer your chicken rare. Nobody claimed that.

I simply asked you a question....if salmonella was not an issue, would you prefer chicken that is rare?

Michael,

A strawman argument would be, You prefer your beef rare, therefore you prefer your chicken rare. Nobody claimed that.

I simply asked you a question....if salmonella was not an issue, would you prefer chicken that is rare?

At this point I would say :focus:

I'm used to "medium" chicken, too. At first I was not too sure, but when I lived in Hong Kong, it was often served where the joints would be bloody. I got used to it and now I quite like it that way. Most people I know though, especially here on the forum would not eat it.

This has everything to do with safety, not preference. The way chickens are processed, 1 in 3 are contaminated with salmonella. In other countries, they are not processed the same way and you have a much lower chance of getting ill (on the order of 1:10,000). Eating rare and medium rare chicken is common in much of the world, but not in the USA where we have high-technology processing to spread the contamination everywhere :tsk:. When we started exporting chicken outside our borders, many people got ill and died. I eat duck rare and have no problem with that (it is not processed the same), so I don't think I'd have any problem eating chicken rare or medium rare.

This has everything to do with safety, not preference. The way chickens are processed, 1 in 3 are contaminated with salmonella. In other countries, they are not processed the same way and you have a much lower chance of getting ill (on the order of 1:10,000). Eating rare and medium rare chicken is common in much of the world, but not in the USA where we have high-technology processing to spread the contamination everywhere :tsk:. When we started exporting chicken outside our borders, many people got ill and died. I eat duck rare and have no problem with that (it is not processed the same), so I don't think I'd have any problem eating chicken rare or medium rare.

Gore,

You can't be in the club either. :bored:

For those who prefer steaks medium well or well done, what is it that makes that your preference?

Hi!

I can answer that easily. For me -- it's the taste of the blood first, that taste grosses me out to no end. You know how blood has that metallic taste? I taste that in bloody meat. Like licking a hammer or the back of a cast iron frying pan. Second, my mouth finds a medium steak a lot chewier than a well done steak. Third, the look of the pink and 'the idea' of it not being cooked through is a turnoff. I really love well done steak. I love the charcoal taste, I love the well-done texture, I love the juiciness -- I find my steak has all that if it's taken off the grill around 170'F. Since joining this forum I've learned a lot about cooking meat and I've just started taking it's temperature before removing it from the heat. I make way better steaks now thanks to my brethren, I don't have so many pink ones to give my partner to eat for me and I don't make 'too overdone hard ones' anymore, either. There is a big difference between a 170'F steak and a 190' or 200'F steak though I'd rather eat a 200'F one over a 150'F.

Hi!

I can answer that easily. For me -- it's the taste of the blood first, that taste grosses me out to no end. You know how blood has that metallic taste? I taste that in bloody meat. Like licking a hammer or the back of a cast iron frying pan. Second, my mouth finds a medium steak a lot chewier than a well done steak. Third, the look of the pink and 'the idea' of it not being cooked through is a turnoff. I really love well done steak. I love the charcoal taste, I love the well-done texture, I love the juiciness -- I find my steak has all that if it's taken off the grill around 170'F. Since joining this forum I've learned a lot about cooking meat and I've just started taking it's temperature before removing it from the heat. I make way better steaks now thanks to my brethren, I don't have so many pink ones to give my partner to eat for me and I don't make 'too overdone hard ones' anymore, either. There is a big difference between a 170'F steak and a 190' or 200'F steak though I'd rather eat a 200'F one over a 150'F.

1.21 gigawatts?! - Dr. Brown & Marty - Back to the future - YouTube

To each his own. But I don't get why the rare and medium well crowd is so militant.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Ron,
Did I really write that or was that some Mod Magic? Too Funny. I totally meant to write rare and medium rare crowd...

Interesting discussion so far. I've already mentioned my preferences. I prefer the texture, tenderness and flavor better at rare to med rare. For those who prefer steaks medium well or well done, what is it that makes that your preference?

I don't like the squishy, stringy texture of rare. I like it better when the center has just started to firm up. I will agree the flavor can be better, especially when compared to well.

Hi!

I can answer that easily. For me -- it's the taste of the blood first, that taste grosses me out to no end. You know how blood has that metallic taste? I taste that in bloody meat. Like licking a hammer or the back of a cast iron frying pan.

This is very interesting to me. My wife also makes comments about not wanting to see blood on her plate. What i find interesting is that it isn't blood. The blood in any animal (including us) is carried in the veins and arteries. There is very little blood in the meat itself. Red meats, such as beef, contain a lot of water. The water mixes with a protein called myoglobin, and ends up as the red liquid that most folks think is blood.

I don't like the squishy, stringy texture of rare. I like it better when the center has just started to firm up. I will agree the flavor can be better, especially when compared to well.

I can understand how different textures appeal to different tastes, and i can understand how taste preferences differ. I'm not one of those militant types :-D It's your steak (or chop or whatever) so you can eat it however you like it. It's similar to coffee. Folks sometimes apologize to me for putting milk, cream or sugar in their coffee. I always tell them that they should drink it however they like it. The only exception to that is ketchup on hot dogs! :twisted:

Back