MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #46
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

crump

Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #47
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Glad this thread got back to the top. I never would have seen it.

Seems to me that whichever way you get to enjoying great food with loved ones (or if you're catering, making a memorable experience for folks) is the "right" way to go. It's all about good food and good times, nothing else.

I wish my yard was big enough to dig a pit without the missus having a conniption....
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #48
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

heck, i just want a brick pit like smittys

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Glad this thread got back to the top. I never would have seen it.

Seems to me that whichever way you get to enjoying great food with loved ones (or if you're catering, making a memorable experience for folks) is the "right" way to go. It's all about good food and good times, nothing else.

I wish my yard was big enough to dig a pit without the missus having a conniption....

Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #49
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
heck, i just want a brick pit like smittys
Before it's all over, I will have a brick pit. It may take years or decades (I'm a lazy sumbich and not so crafty) but the idea is extremely appealing to me. And potentially extremely appalling to the missus.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #50
btcg
Babbling Farker

It is a critical essay on Rob Walsh's excellent research on Jetton but also how he has fallen prey to the faults of primary documents. Those of you educated in History or some other discipline that uses critical thinking will see it as a critique.

All too often, we see history as a vehicle of propaganda, essentially... written by the winners in order to gain validity as to their deeds. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the masses had access to both sides of the story and were able to discern the differences. All too often, mere repetition serves to prove the old adage: "repeat a lie often enough and it eventually becomes accepted as the truth."

The huge amounts of public confidence in British and Irish Shipbuilding, as well as one of Britain’s (and American) shipping companies would have been destroyed. Simply put, Lloyd would cover fully acts of God not negligence or Harland and Wolfe’s Shipyard’s defect in design.

The design of the Titanic was unique and considered to be revolutionary at the time it was built. As a non-standard design, it had little or no impact upon the market, as it was highly unlikely that either a passenger or their freight would encounter it, even remotely. As we know, manufacturing would find itself a slave to the war effort in the immediate aftermath.

We often are fully aware that how a person REALLY cooks and how what is placed online or in a book can differ. I think I cited once before what REALLY went into Mikiskas sauce and rub on a Bobby Flay VIDEO show once was ENTIRELY different from what was posted as the recipe on the Food TV cite.

I've noticed this too on Flay's shows, especially the throwdowns. I've heard him explain that it's often because either he himself of his two sous chefs will continue to tweak the recipes, and sometimes will make an outright change of the dish. The show is only a half-hour usually, and they not feel it worth the trouble to update, and/or, they may want to keep somethings secret. What's the Tolkien quote about chefs... something like "they like to keep their mystery, as the words of the praise by those in pleasant suprise are often louder."

Foiling, for instance, is nothing but merely braising the meat in its already quite robust collection of flavors – of course part of braising is merely simmering in a closed environment – the simmering liquid ends up as a collection of the beef drippings, your rub, the smoke and results of the maillard reaction.

I'll foil sometimes to protect my bark... and depending on whether I'm trying to speed up or slow down a cook, or accomodate another dish sharing the grill, I'll make a decision on what side of the foil to use on the outside of meat/dish.

I used to make my mashed potatoes al naturale. Now, I make my mashed potatoes with half instant and the other half boiled potatoes with skins on. The instructions call for boiled water so I just make the whole dish better by boiling water with potatoes already in it and mash them up and add.

Depends who you're feeding. That flavor enhancement is, in my experience, due to addition spicing added by the mix: namely sodium. My wife wouldn't see it as an improvement... she'd complain.

Add to that the INTERNET driven taboo that claims simmering meat as “untraditional” when the TRUE story is MANY different people (ONCE BBQ BECAME A BUSINESS OR A WAY TO FEED TRAILHANDS AT THE END OF A RIDE) sought these shortcuts which often exceeded the flavor of NOT using them. This drive is WHY WE INJECT; to add flavor and retain moisture.

I don't recall simmering as a complaint as much as I recall boiling... as a grouse. And, as to trail cooks or Q-cooks in general, it's actually a borrowed french technique (brasier... and not even the kind I like ;)) that was adapted and altered from need: the french call for an initial sear of the meat and essentially pan roast after.
Trail cooks, not having a kitchen handy, were forced to more or less boil first, to allow for a faster cook. This is understandable, as getting a herd of cattle to stand around an wait wasn't an easy talk. Boiling it also made a reheating later that much easier. But it would be my guess that this food wasn't the tastiest, hence one of the reasons cowboys loved heading into town for dinner (and other attractions, of course).

Interesting read.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #51
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

True, the Olympic Class of Liners were an isolated excercise in economy mechanically. Oddballs with three props. I was the one that discovered the Achellies Heel of the power plant way back when doing research for Jack Grimm. A secret kept for years.... that in an effort to make the vessel economical to run (there were a lot of coal strikes and the Cunard twins were already shutting down boilers sacrificing speed for economy) the twin reciprocating engines of the Titanic and its sister, fed into the low pressure turbine which in turn fed the steering engines. During docking the turbine was incapable of reversing (it was added as an afterthought due to the success of the Mauretania and Lusitania in 1907/190. In fact the turbine could not reverse at any time.... it was merely to augment power from the exhaust of the expansion engines. Not that that is special... the German Vaterland which spent 2 years in New Jersey before being taken and turned into the Levithan for US Troop uses... ran the ENTIRE WAR with not reverse in three of its four engines owing to sabotage.

Anyway, the design of the Titanic/Olympic (not the Britannic) did make allowances for the design and the exhausting steam in most of the cases of reverse was bypassed away from the turbine low pressure feed and even the condensor straight out externally. This bypassed the steering engines. However, in docking situations and through a complex set of valves steam pressure could be directly routed to the steering engines.

Fast forward to April 14, 1912... 11:40 PM... steam is routed through the efficent channels... from boiler... through expansion reciprocating engines and throughout their progressively larger cylinders and through the parsons low presser turbine and then through the steering engines.

"clang clang clang Reverse engines..." the mostly new crew had 37 seconds to stop the massive engines and reverse them.... (SEVEN seconds longer than at the trial weeks before, and at the time of impact they were probably just beginning to think about restoring steam pressure to the rudder... which already was made useless from the lack of slipstream from the loss of the turbine blade and the resulting slack water surrounding the rudder surface caused by the slow progression of reversing propellers.

Essentially, the order to reverse robbed the progression of the rudder (fed partially from the residual steam before the shut off) so the rudder probably never made it hard over.... thus the little turn moments before the impact.

Better though than the Lusitania, build with being a crusier in mind with logitudinal bulkheads which allowed for the storage of coal along the sides on the ship... problem was... no one ever thought how a load of coal would make the bunker doors ineffective... impossible to close from the wieght and dust... they were cut off in 1908.... fast forward May 1915... the Mighty Lusitania, after having its bottom blown out from a coal dust explosion ignited by one torpedo.... also has no less than about 125 open passages between its many watertight compartments... sinks in 18 minutes.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #52
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

Good read ! I will have to get the book , I enjoy BBQ history...

Here is a little historical triva about The 5th pic in your post, "Typical pit ( not jettons ) with a goat maybe on it " That picture was taken on the Braswell plantation , Edgecombe county NC , in 1944... And I believe they are cooking hogs

Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #53
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

damn if you're not right... I'd trust the state of NC

http://www.flickr.com/photos/north-c...n/photostream/

Go here and you will see they men making lemonade.... in galvanized buckets... LOL and several boiling kettles in the same shots, same pits.... the pigs are small but since its in NC they are def not goats.... u can even see choppi

n going on.... a must see... deserves a separate thread!!!\
\\

THANKS!!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #54
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

wonderous find

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:30 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #55
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

I recognized the picture from the book "Holy Smoke : The big book of North Carolina barbecue " . A good book with a detailed history of NC bbq, lots of old pics and recipes etc .

Just checked out the pics on flickr , nice!!!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #56
jestridge

LOve those old pic . I going to do the simmer things tomorrow
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #57
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
LOve those old pic . I going to do the simmer things tomorrow
grab a little cedar for smoke wood lol

Old 12-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #58
leanza
Babbling Farker

I want to know what they did with all that broth? Oh, it's in my freezer!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #59
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Wow, what a fantastic read. I'm supposed to be catching up my budget right now so that I can determine if the purchase of a backyard Meadowcreek pit is economically feasible. But I can't stop reading this thread! Thanks Donnie...for taking everything I THOUGHT I knew about Que (not much really, and all gleaned from this site) and completely turning it on its head. I see now that my pursuit of good Que will now be a LIFELONG race.

Keep it funky Donnie!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #60
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
Wow, what a fantastic read. I'm supposed to be catching up my budget right now so that I can determine if the purchase of a backyard Meadowcreek pit is economically feasible. But I can't stop reading this thread! Thanks Donnie...for taking everything I THOUGHT I knew about Que (not much really, and all gleaned from this site) and completely turning it on its head. I see now that my pursuit of good Que will now be a LIFELONG race.

Keep it funky Donnie!
No... the 'turn it on its head" thread was actually this one

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...weep+read+funk

Thanks from:--->