Poorque - Princeton WI

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Was looking over the calendar this morning and noticed a new contest in Wisconsin. Now I certainly don't choose contests on payouts, but was wondering if this might be a typo.

$70 in Prize Money. Prize money to 5th Place

The entry is $50, plus a $30 per night camping fee, so maybe not. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this comp.

I saw that too... I like the entry fee but also have questions...

Only a $50 entry fee?
Charging $30 to 'Camp' Friday night?

As for the $70 in prize money, I would hope it's a typo, but it could also be because of the new regulations requiring a letter of credit or proof of deposit for the prize money advertised...

Actually, after reading thier web site I found this...

The purpose of the event is to promote Competition BBQ as a clean safe family sport. This is a break-even event not being used to raise funds for anything. The fees are to cover sanctioning, supplies and the token prize money of $70 and nothing else.

So maybe it is correct...

That's interesting. I like the idea, although I'm probably in the minority here. At least with this competition I have no delusions of breaking even or coming out ahead.

Sorry, but that contest is a lose money situation from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I don't do it for the money, but to be able to recoup your expenases is a big part of BBQ contests. I also know the organizer, but she wants to put on something at our expense? No thank you.

I to think I'll pass on it as well...

We are just now getting to a point where we aren't loosing all of the money we have invested in a comp. To take one on that even if I win GC won't cover my meat purchase is really not in the equation and on top of that it's not even a qualifier... As of right now, the next closest comp for me that weekend is over 300 miles away...

Maybe we'll take that weekend off....

We are just now getting to a point where we aren't loosing all of the money we have invested in a comp. To take one on that even if I win GC won't cover my meat purchase is really not in the equation and on top of that it's not even a qualifier... As of right now, the next closest comp for me that weekend is over 300 miles away...

I'm thinking Colorado....

I think it is a qualifier, I had recieved an e-mail about this comp, but I am unavailable that weekend so I just deleted it.

It's sanctioned and they have a Gov proclamation. Doesn't 15 teams make that a qualifier?

I think it is a qualifier, I had recieved an e-mail about this comp, but I am unavailable that weekend so I just deleted it.
I stand corrected...

06/11/10
to
06/12/10 PoorQue Montello, WI
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP Contact: Anita Moore, W 5811 Bend Road, Princeton, WI 54968.
Phone: 920-420-4618. apmoore@centurytel.net
KCBS Reps: MIKE LAKE, THERESA LAKE

I still don't know... Maybe...

I think the intent of the contest was to lure newer teams to competition bbq with a lower cost contest, with the benefit of having a JD draw available to interest some more established teams. Interesting idea, but I don't think it will be on our schedule in 2010. Hard to justify not spending the extra the money for a "regular" contest and take a shot at possibly a substantial cash payout. I hope the contest achieves what the organizers have in mind, but I likely will pass.

Matt

I agree Matt. Great folks, but it's one thing for me sucking and not be worthy of getting my costs back. But if you win at this, you still are out a lot of cash... A win is not worth that much to me.

I guess we will be one of the 6 or 8 teams there.Its to hard to pass up this 3 miles from the house.I know Anita has already recieved some entries.

Dive ,I wanted to address the comment about the $30 to camp friday nite.This is a campground and they are charging Anita and Tony a reduced rate of $30 per site.I think she was trying to explain the cost of the event as far as what they are charging for the entry.

Dive ,I wanted to address the comment about the $30 to camp friday nite.This is a campground and they are charging Anita and Tony a reduced rate of $30 per site.I think she was trying to explain the cost of the event as far as what they are charging for the entry.

Not a problem bro, thanks for explaining it...

I agree Matt. Great folks, but it's one thing for me sucking and not be worthy of getting my costs back. But if you win at this, you still are out a lot of cash... A win is not worth that much to me.

Man, I hate to admit that Scottie may be right...

I guess if the prize money would have at least covered the entrance fee it would make it more enticing...

While I think we'll be there since it is a qualifier and since the next closest comp for us that weekend is Ottumwa, Iowa... If something opens up that weekend that is within reason distance wise, we may have to change our minds...

Before I get started on a couple of random brain farts, I want to say that I think the concept behind this comp is great. We’ve all been trying to come up with ways to get more people involved with our addiction and this, along with ‘BBQ Pitmasters’ (did I really say that out loud?) may work out great.

I guess I would have liked to have seen the prize money at least cover the entrance fee and camping charges. While I haven’t been doing the ‘comp thing’ (as my daughter calls it) all that long, I think it would be more enticing to new teams if they thought that they could at least make those fees back. For me, I know what it costs for me to just show up at a comp and can do the math for a good cause.

My other thought was that I wish that this would have been scheduled earlier in spring. I know that the weather is at best ‘Iffy’, but so is the weather for the ‘Minnesota In May’ comp. I for one would love to have an inexpensive comp early in spring to use as a practice comp. This may be something to think about for next year.

The only real question I have right now is does Anita have any guess as to the CBJ percentage? I know that it’s early and there is no way to get an exact number but at Princeton last year it was recorded at 93%. I guess I’m just trying to figure out the audience I would be cooking for.

Please pass on to Anita my thanks for trying something different.

I would ask all of you to please think about comming to this comp...I am going I realy dont care to much about the money this is not going to cost that much to do! I think we all can do one a year that we know is not going to be a money maker. I know the pay out is not alot but the entry is not much either. we need comps to good and bad. big and small.big money and small money. It is a qualifyer. isent that what we all try for in a chanch for the draw? if we support it this year then next year it could be a big money event and that would be cool . we can chose to make this a big event or not. please to all my Wi BBQers please come to this one its our backyard we need this de forist is gone! i am not shure that menomonee falls will pull it off. i here the milw comp might not go off this year... so i think we should go to this one... I WILL BE THERE. and wont you feel like chit if the draw for the jack is this comp winner and you did not come... please to all my friends all 2 of you please come to this help Wi BBQ to grow... thanks ya'll

Didn't know Deforest was gone! That sucks, We'd hoped to do that one.

Unless this economy picks up, seems like a lot of that will continue happening. We're not sure how many we can afford this year

I'd heard Marsha was looking to do one in Racine (not at the zoo) but not sure of that status either. anyone?

This one sounds like fun, but after entry, meat, gas, etc. not sure I can justify not at least being able to come close to breaking even

Well said!!!

TIM

I would ask all of you to please think about comming to this comp...I am going I realy dont care to much about the money this is not going to cost that much to do! I think we all can do one a year that we know is not going to be a money maker. I know the pay out is not alot but the entry is not much either. we need comps to good and bad. big and small.big money and small money. It is a qualifyer. isent that what we all try for in a chanch for the draw? if we support it this year then next year it could be a big money event and that would be cool . we can chose to make this a big event or not. please to all my Wi BBQers please come to this one its our backyard we need this de forist is gone! i am not shure that menomonee falls will pull it off. i here the milw comp might not go off this year... so i think we should go to this one... I WILL BE THERE. and wont you feel like chit if the draw for the jack is this comp winner and you did not come... please to all my friends all 2 of you please come to this help Wi BBQ to grow... thanks ya'll

Well said!!!

TIM
No translation required!

Back