**Splittin' Oak!.....

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
.......French Oak Wine barrels!

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

It's that time of year again. I'm starting to see some of the Micro-Vinters in the area unload some of their Oak barrels, the prices are all over the place and last year they were too expensive or not enough to go around.
So when I came across these I thought I'd better jump on them!

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

These had Cabernet Sauvignon and a Syrah. I love this stuff!

What did ya have to pay for the barrels? What winery?

Hole in the Wall Cellars, down by Southcenter Mall.

Keep your eyes peeled, there is a chitload of Micros in a business park off Hwy 9 and Woodinville/Duval Rd.

Them things look like they will produce an awesome smoke for ya! They are purdy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like a few staves from this batch please...don't I owe you for one of those?

IMG_1408.jpg

Nice score! I hadn't thought about this but there is a winery near here that I might have to contact. Thanks for the tip.

What? You using yours for a planter or sumpthin'?

I haven't cracked mine yet...I already like the looks of yours so save me a few staves just in case mine is "planter material"! :lol::lol::lol:

.......French Oak Wine barrels!

IMG_1408.jpg

These had Cabernet Sauvignon and a Syrah. I love this stuff!

Just curious, that lid looks fantastic. You think it could be turned into a cutting board or even a UDS shelf or something? I'm gonna look into a few of the winery's in NM, and see if they are unloading their barrels. Nice score.

I got a hold of one of those Frenchies. Love the aroma, you can smell the vino. Wonderful flavor as well. If you use it in chuncks it will last a long time.

I sell them at my nursery. They are cut in half for planters. $38 clams wholesale. Not cheap. (From Napa) My sales guy gave me 2 bags of chips made from these this summer. It was pretty darn good. I'll see if he knows where we can order some and how much.
Have fun smoking with em!

Just curious, that lid looks fantastic. You think it could be turned into a cutting board or even a UDS shelf or something? I'm gonna look into a few of the winery's in NM, and see if they are unloading their barrels. Nice score.

The lid staves are held together with double pointed nails and like the barrel staves compressed by the steel bands. Some are tighter than others but over time they loosen up.
I thought about a cutting board myself, and I'm not sure if its Jerry (Barbarian) or another Cali bro that has some UDS tables varnished up and look pretty nice.

That would be me. Makes a great side table. On the barrels I have gotten the lids were doweled together, so they were easy to take apart sand and a bit and put back together. The color is just the wine stain.

Attachments

• DSC02701.jpg
    DSC02701.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 41
i cut down 3 trees on my property and i tried to split it but i hurt my back im only 15 y/o and im already going

That would be me. Makes a great side table. On the barrels I have gotten the lids were doweled together, so they were easy to take apart sand and a bit and put back together. The color is just the wine stain.

That's what I'm talking about. Did you just put em back together with wood glue and clamps? That is a nice looking shelf.

i cut down 3 trees on my property and i tried to split it but i hurt my back im only 15 y/o and im already going

15 y/o, a drum, and already cutting and chopping your own wood..........you are off to a great start. As my dad would say, hard work builds character. Keep at it, and hope the back is better now! You might want to ask for a log splitter for Christmas. It's worth a try.:wink:

Back