MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default how I reverse sear

do what works for you. I do what works for me. thin steaks get the 7 minute steak method treatment. nice thick steaks and chops or roasts I prefer the control I get with a reverse sear.

I like to start ahead of time and season early, give time for it to act like a dry brine. thicker the meat the more liberal I get with the rub.

for those who dont know reverse sear is cooking to temp first and then searing at the end of the cook. It's best to cook as low as you can for the first portion of the cook and hot as possible for the sear. choose your cooker wisely, sometimes a combination of cookers can work best.

I prefer to start low. under 275 is good, 250 is better. if my cooker can run clean there I'll go 225 or lower. it helps with even cooking and tenderizing. a proper thermometer helps alot but so does proper technique. poor placement can lead to misreadings. sometimes I'll use a leave in to get me close but it the thermapen that says it's done. insert the probe into the center of the meat and wait for it to stabilize. slowly push it in a little further and then begin to draw it out pausing for temperature changes and noting the lowest temp displayed. I pull between 125-130

when you reach your desired internal temp pull the meat off the heat and let rest while you get to sear temperature. it's fine to wait 10 minutes or so with large cuts they will stay hot. the low cooking temps limit carry over and bullseye effect. sear lid open over an open flame for 1-3 minutes a side, flipping based on color and crust. when everything looks good take it off and serve.

tonight I used my el cheapo pit boss pellet cooker with searing zone. I seasoned a tri tip liberally with a 50/50 mix of oakridge santa maria and carne crosta and cooked at 225 pit temp to an IT of 125. it's as simple as sliding the plate over and cranking it up to 450. by the time the roast rested ot was up to temp. about 90 seconds per side developed a lovely crust. I served it with roasted root vegetables and creamy horseradish sauce

Old 02-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

I use a Weber Chimney starter with a crazy thick SS Kenmore grate. A london broil steak would sear in 1 min per side, then into the oven @ 250 till it reached 130F.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
do what works for you. I do what works for me. thin steaks get the 7 minute steak method treatment. nice thick steaks and chops or roasts I prefer the control I get with a reverse sear.

I like to start ahead of time and season early, give time for it to act like a dry brine. thicker the meat the more liberal I get with the rub.

for those who dont know reverse sear is cooking to temp first and then searing at the end of the cook. It's best to cook as low as you can for the first portion of the cook and hot as possible for the sear. choose your cooker wisely, sometimes a combination of cookers can work best.

I prefer to start low. under 275 is good, 250 is better. if my cooker can run clean there I'll go 225 or lower. it helps with even cooking and tenderizing. a proper thermometer helps alot but so does proper technique. poor placement can lead to misreadings. sometimes I'll use a leave in to get me close but it the thermapen that says it's done. insert the probe into the center of the meat and wait for it to stabilize. slowly push it in a little further and then begin to draw it out pausing for temperature changes and noting the lowest temp displayed. I pull between 125-130

when you reach your desired internal temp pull the meat off the heat and let rest while you get to sear temperature. it's fine to wait 10 minutes or so with large cuts they will stay hot. the low cooking temps limit carry over and bullseye effect. sear lid open over an open flame for 1-3 minutes a side, flipping based on color and crust. when everything looks good take it off and serve.

tonight I used my el cheapo pit boss pellet cooker with searing zone. I seasoned a tri tip liberally with a 50/50 mix of oakridge santa maria and carne crosta and cooked at 225 pit temp to an IT of 125. it's as simple as sliding the plate over and cranking it up to 450. by the time the roast rested ot was up to temp. about 90 seconds per side developed a lovely crust. I served it with roasted root vegetables and creamy horseradish sauce

Beautiful cook!!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
I use a Weber Chimney starter with a crazy thick SS Kenmore grate. A london broil steak would sear in 1 min per side, then into the oven @ 250 till it reached 130F.
That sounds like it would work great but it's not considered a reverse sear.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:29 AM   #5
sudsandswine

It's a reverse reverse sear

Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #6
campdude
Babbling Farker

Looks like you have your technique down.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #7
Smoke Dawg

Name/Nickname : IMF

Looks great Steve,

For me I would go a little more rare
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #8
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post
Looks great Steve,

For me I would go a little more rare
thanks, everyone likes em how they like.

sometimes I'll take a steak to 120 but its usually just over 125. I prefer closer to med rare especially with roasts

Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

That is how it is supposed to be done. Thanks for the pics of a great cook.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
W.I.T.W.A.G?
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

looks awesome, thanks for sharing! I have only tried Reverse sear a handful of times and haven't quite dialed in how long it takes to get to the 120-125. Usually when I cook steak I'm so hangry for it that I NEED it NOW. numnumnumnumnum
This will push me to do it more, thanks!

Why Is The Whiskey Always Gone?
[url]http://www.ironsidesmokers.com[/url]
W.I.T.W.A.G? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
tom b

Good looking TT Ninja!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Great lesson on reverse sear! I've been playing with my GMG Daniel Boone doing reverse sear. I set the DB to 225, take the steaks to 115-120 internal, then sear on my gasser. Results have been great. A couple of nights ago, I cooked some 1.5" thick prime Porterhouse steaks but used the Performer. Not confident enough yet with my reverse sear technique to risk big, expensive steaks.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
That sounds like it would work great but it's not considered a reverse sear.
Its a reverse, reverse sear.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #14
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.I.T.W.A.G? View Post
looks awesome, thanks for sharing! I have only tried Reverse sear a handful of times and haven't quite dialed in how long it takes to get to the 120-125. Usually when I cook steak I'm so hangry for it that I NEED it NOW. numnumnumnumnum
This will push me to do it more, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnbiker View Post
Great lesson on reverse sear! I've been playing with my GMG Daniel Boone doing reverse sear. I set the DB to 225, take the steaks to 115-120 internal, then sear on my gasser. Results have been great. A couple of nights ago, I cooked some 1.5" thick prime Porterhouse steaks but used the Performer. Not confident enough yet with my reverse sear technique to risk big, expensive steaks.
practice really does make perfect. once you get the hang of it you'll nail it every time. for me it's less stressful cooking a monster steak or roast reverse seared than a 1 inch thick market steak (I do have good results at 3.5 minutes a side on the kettle with those). kettle and pellet cooker makes for a nice combo. the low cook temp and rest before searing helps prevent dreaded carryover.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Perfectly cooked That is good Eats Thanks for the write up
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote