A Day of Marinades

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
After reading CUTiger's post "Do You Get Tired of Pork?" and JayinBoston's post "Philly Roast Pork Sandwiches" about Philadelphia Style Italian Pork, I decided to make a day of marinating and cooking some items for several dinners and also to vac-seal for future use. Pork itself can be cooked in so many different styles, methods, and flavors. My answer to CUTiger is "No, I never get tired of Pork!"

I started by looking for 2 pork butts, I didn't feel like removing the bones myself so I took the easy route and bought two boneless pork butts from Costco. I trimmed the fat and sinew off both pieces of meat and then butterflied into one long piece of meat.

I started with the first butt, thin slicing fresh garlic, onions, and some peppers in the bottom of a 4" deep hotel pan. I cut the pork into long 2" X 2" X 6" strips put them in the pan and then marinated overnight in a Criollo Mojo Marinade (Sour Orange, Lime, and Lemon with other spices).

Here is a picture of the marinading meat after 8 hours, turned in the marinade and put back into the fridge. After another 6 hours in the marinade I will sear on the grill and then return to the liquid and cook the pork in the marinade.

I took the second pork butt I butterflied into one long piece of meat and rubbed both sides with an olive oil and Italian Spice Mixture. I folded to neatly fit into the pan.

Here is a picture after 8 hour covered in the refrigerator, and refolded in the opposite direction to allow equal exposure to the oils, and herbs. This too will sit for another 6 hours before a light sear on the grill, and then stuffed into a netting for roasts before being roasted low and slow.

I also picked up a couple pieces of Top Round and put them into a 2 gallon zip-loc bag with a Peppercorn Worcestershire Marinade, to be cooked in the style of "London Broil". These too will sit for a few more hours before hitting the hot coals.

I'll keep you posted as the cook begins and progresses.... I have to say the marinades smell so good that I am drooling....

Man, that looks good.

You're going to have a grand Saturday... I swear I can almost smell those from here.

Keep the pR0N flowing, brother. Enjoy.

Looks tasty.

Sour oranges have been coming up a lot in my reading. I'm curious where you find them? Ethnic markets?

Steve

Looks tasty.

Sour oranges have been coming up a lot in my reading. I'm curious where you find them? Ethnic markets?

Steve

Yes, a Latin Market in Philadelphia had the frozen juice because fresh is not in season.... I did use fresh limes and a lemon as well.

it looks good so far, ill definitely keep an eye on this one.

our local Walmart carries Criollo Mojo in big bottles, most likely not as good as fresh but it does the trick. i use alot of it and adobo seasoning.

Update on the process..

The Italian Pork is browned on the grill before tying into a roast.

The roast is secured in the netting ready for cooking. A few hours in indirect heat will work magic here...

The Pork is also browned on the grill. Although this is not part of the recipe, the carmalization of the meat adds lots of additional flavor.

The Pork returned to the pan of onions and marinade for a long slow cook in the indirect heat of the kettle. (still cooking)

Lastly the Top Round for London Broil is only slightly browned and then will be vac-sealed for another meal on another day to when time does not permit a full cook. Just throw on the grill and heat.

As the cook progresses, I post finished pictures.

Finished cook of items.......

The Criollo Mojo pork is done, swimming in the meat juices. Next is to plate it with rice and beans currently cooking in the caldero.

Here is the finished Italian Pork Roast.

Time to let it cool a little, thinly slice and thicken the meat juices for Italian Pork Sandwiches.

Last edited:
Final products... Sorry for the late pictures but everything went quick....

The Criollo Mojo Pork plated with Spanish Style Rice and a Tortilla Wrap.

Mojo%20Finished_zpswis1ulr2.jpg

The Italian Pork Roast with thickened meat juices. Awesome sandwiches.

Italian%20Pork%206_zpsc4nmwv6a.jpg

Back