Using a warming Cabinet

Gibbs

Reaction score
So we are taking the plunge on a restaurant. I do not have any experience using a warming cabinet. Any of you guys that uses these; any tips? How long do you normally hold meat? Any trick you’ve found that makes your finally product better or worse from using the warming cabinets. I’m looking at an electric insulated cabinet. Temp goes up to 200. Thank you for any comments!!

Know they are for maintaining temp not heating cool food. So everything needs to go in hot. You probably will not use the 200* setting but more like 150*. At that level and with your containers well sealed you should maintain moisture and see several hours of holding time with not too much loss of quality. IMO

That seems to be the way most BBQ restaurants are doing it. They cook, store in holding cabinets - not sure if they are proofers or just holders but would be good to figure out. They take out a brisket and slice and put back or use it up until they need another.

Questions I wonder: Are the briskets wrapped? I think at Franklins they are in paper. I wrap my briskets when I cook until the end in paper so I would keep them. I Don't know how they keep the ribs and pulled pork. Do restaurants pull all the pork and store another way? I am very curious. I have aspirations to have a food truck and go out once or twice a week just to see people smile :)

we use one in our food trailer. We have held briskets and butts for like 20 hours. that is pushing it a bit but it still works without too much quality loss. we regularly wrap briskets and butts in a food film and then foil if holding for more than a couple hours. It works for our style of bbq.

Franklin's may not be the best example they seem to serve non stop until it is all gone. They may use a warmer but I doubt that much meat goes back into it. Cut serve till it is gone grab the next

Franklins will have the briskets resting 10-14 hours in warmer before serving.

Back