Another butt night tomorrow night ( with pron )

D

Derek

Here's another pulled pork butt night for the first day of spring per family request.

Pork Butt ( lot's of nice marbling )
814795250_MhFg4-L.jpg

Kansas City Rub - salt + half bulb freshly ground nutmeg + dill + black pepper.
814795279_gzvVW-XL.jpg

The butt is going to marinade for a few hours.
814795299_dJJtm-L.jpg

Removed the butchers protector paper this time AROUND! ( it's a 3.3 pound butt )
814795267_VJxND-L.jpg

Nice looking start Derek. Are you sure you got all the absorbent pads?

Wait... You took off the protective pad? That's what keeps the bottom on the butt from burning.

:p

Dill, huh... I'm not sure I've ever had dill on a butt before.

Wait... You took off the protective pad? That's what keeps the bottom on the butt from burning.

:p

Dill, huh... I'm not sure I've ever had dill on a butt before.
Funny Ron.

And yes I've used dill ( I've used it before and it gives a certain taste profile to the butt ). I've also used olive oil on the meat before I put the rub in....

Tomorrow it's going in at 5:00 am and going to be taken out at 7:00 pm!

14 hrs for a three pounder???? :confused:
Yuppers my mom wants it in for 14 hours.

And tomorrow morning at 8 I'm pulling it and then I'll let it rest an hour before we shred it and fill the meat with my bbq sauce!

YMMV, but I think it's going to be way over done at 14 hours. Why is Mom focused on that amount of time? It really should be cooked until done, whether that takes 6 hours or 20 hours.

YMMV, but I think it's going to be way over done at 14 hours. Why is Mom focused on that amount of time? It really should be cooked until done, whether that takes 6 hours or 20 hours.
She just wants it fall of the bone tender instead of tender ( we had pulled pork the other night when I posted the pron pictures, and she said next time she wanted fall off the bone tender and not just tender.

Yeah shes a crazy braod but shes my memaw.

Derek, just a suggestion trying to help. With that small of a hunk of meat, it is possible it will be way more than fall off the bone in 14 hours. It could literally turn into mush. Like Ron L mentioned, check for doneness. It isn't a timeline issue. It is when it decides to be done. Hope it all works out great and your mom loves it. Good luck.

Derek, just a suggestion trying to help. With that small of a hunk of meat, it is possible it will be way more than fall off the bone in 14 hours. It could literally turn into mush. Like Ron L mentioned, check for doneness. It isn't a timeline issue. It is when it decides to be done. Hope it all works out great and your mom loves it. Good luck.
Thanks Meat Burner I really can use the help.

I really do respect all the helpers and all the hep I can do.

I have an up most respect for anyone who helps me, and I can return it in the future.

By the way the meat probe is in the meat now...

Smoked Mac & cheese and only 480 sodium for the whole thing.

815585816_exFRz-L.jpg

Smoked Chilly is coming up in 2 hours and the butt is almost done....

That mac and cheese looks pretty cheesy to me.:cool: Mind sharing how you got it so low in sodium?

That mac and cheese looks pretty cheesy to me.:cool: Mind sharing how you got it so low in sodium?
Serringento's cheese and spartan cheese ( 180 soduim for half cup of cheese )

and we used 4 cups ( made BIG batch for the family )

And here is some more pron photo's

815761060_DMFx8-L.jpg

Took everyone's advice and I've smoked it for 8 hours ( thank you gang )
815761269_wUCKC-L.jpg

Smoked Chilly ( my own chilly, not from a recipe ) for tomorrow night dinner.
815761217_qfxpc-L.jpg

A good rule of thumb...cooking at about 225*, allow (notice I say allow) 1 1/2 hours per pound. Looking at your pic of the whole butt, I'm surprised the bone isn't showing more signs of loosness around it to be cooked to an internal temp of 205* Did you check the temp in several places? The metal from the probe, if a wired probe, can conduct heat and cause the area you have the probe stuck in to get done quicker, but the rest of the butt be lagging....
Have you checked your thermometer in ice water or boiling water?

Mac and cheese looks great!

Back