Newb needs ideas for Friday

Jr2bail

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
My first cook on WSM22, spareribs and mexican corn, turned out to be a hit this past Sunday. So much so that my darling former wife wants me to cook for a get together this Friday. The folks invited are family and dear friends that live out of state. Any ideas out there from the brethren?

I just did ribs so would like to pass on those. Thought of redoing my turkey idea I had for the inaugral cook this past weekend...maybe add some chicken. Could do some tri tip..I ave cooked many on the gasser but never smoked one. My son just suggested pulled pork. Maybe I should do a pork butt....never done that before. Anyhow, any suggestions would be a help...remember, I am cooking for 20 and am a total rookie to the smoking world but am excited to play with my 22"r.

I know, huh...I was kinda thinking along those lines myself but the adventurer in me begs to push the envelope....just can't help myself sometimes!

Or do a trial run of something new tomorrow. If it works out go for it again on Friday. Or you can do ribs again with a different recipe (new rub, new sauce).

Spatchcock chicken is real good, or a nice rib eye roast, smoked with a little mesquite.......yum!! Or you could go with a combination of things, like the ribs and a pork butt and chicken wings.........or a brisket is usually a big hit.......lots of options.

KC

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Go back to the well with the ribs.

And did you say the words "darling former wife" in one sentence?

I can't even wrap my head around that phrase....

For that size of crowd, I'd definitely throw a couple pork butts on there and make pulled pork. Not nearly as labor intensive as some other things, not too expensive, most people like it, and most importantly-hard to screw up.

I agree with the gang. Don't try something new when there is a crowd waiting :)

But, ribs for 20? What else is being served? If that's the only meat then you have to plan on half a rack per person. 10 racks is tight on a 22.5" WSM unless you have rib racks.

The easiest meat to cook for a crowd is pulled pork, and it is fairly hard to screw up. The biggest problem is not allowing enough time. If you want to try that, time you cook so that the pork will be done 4 hours before your want to serve. That way if it takes longer (most likely it will) you will still have a buffer.

A typical 8 lb. butt will yield 16 1/4 lb. sandwiches, so you'll need two butts that are at least 8 lbs each. If it were me I would cook them at 270 and plan 75 minutes per pound. But, that's just a guideline. The butts are done when your probe slides in easily, with little resistance, or when the bone wiggles free. When they are done wrap in HD foil and ut them in a dry cooler with some towels or newspaper for insulation until serving time. They'll be too hot to touch even after 4 hours.

Screw the crowd, push your limits!

Do some pulled pork. A pork butt is the most forgiving piece of meat that takes an act of god or some severe undercooking for you to mess it up.

I typically don't try to cook something for a crowd that i haven't practice, but I have done it from time to time. I haven't failed yet on experiments for the crowd. :p

Pork butt is also easily cooked and pulled the day before, and reheated for the meal. It's one of the few meats that I find just as good or better reheated as fresh. Don't sauce it until you reheat it, though.

I also noticed the "darling former wife" comment as well. :shock:

For 20 people on your second cook I would definitely go with pulled pork. With the WSM, dial it in and let it do its thing and you can enjoy the day with family and friends. Just make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get it done, rested and pulled. Nothing worse than having a bunch of hungry people sitting around waiting to eat. You could easily do 2 butts on that bad boy as well as some appetizers, etc...
Let us know how it turns out.

Add my vote for pulled pork. It's a pretty forgiving meat and all you really need to do is allow plenty of time. Give yourself a buffer by allowing an extra four hours and you can wrap it and put it in a picnic cooler for an extended rest. And you can make enough so you'll even have leftovers. Make some slaw and mustard style sauce to serve on the side and you'll be golden. Actually, you can have a variety of sauces to serve on the side so your guests can choose. I prefer Big Daddy's Carolina style sauce but my guests usually go for Sweet baby Ray's.

Now I'm hungry. :hungry:

I vote for pork butt as well and throw some chicken in there for a little extra sumpin sumpin.

Another vote for pulled pork. It takes a long time which makes it seem more special to your crowd. Hard to screw it up. Throw a couple fatties on there for appetizers and you'll own that crowd.

Pork butts it is!!!

Thanks for all the input....you guys are great! Anything special I need to do regarding the butts? I see a bunch of great recipes so that should be pretty easy. Do I need to let sit out of the frige for a while first? I will definitely leave myself an extra 4 hours...good tip there. Is there a preferred type of bread?

And some of you noticed my former wife comment....she is a good one and I am blessed for the situation...my kids so much more so for the matter. I was fortunate as she married a good guy and we have become friends.

I will advise how all turns out and provide some pics. Thanks again for all your help! Have a great week all.

Thanks for all the input....you guys are great! Anything special I need to do regarding the butts? I see a bunch of great recipes so that should be pretty easy. Do I need to let sit out of the frige for a while first? I will definitely leave myself an extra 4 hours...good tip there. Is there a preferred type of bread?

You can go as simple or complex as you want :) The Chris Lilly recipe for rub and injection comes out great, but a simple rub is good, too.

I like to inject and rub about 4 hours before cooking and let it sit in the fridge until I'm ready to put it in. I don't let butts come up to room temp. I just cook them out of the fridge.

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's
About enough for 2 8-10 lb Boston Butts
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
------------
1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)
1 bottle Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (or substitute your favorite BBQ sauce)

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225°F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195°F.

Good luck JR. Should be a fun time.

I'm happy to see that you decided to do a pork butt. They are more difficult to screw up and it's great eats. Especially for a large group.

I've had great luck with a bone in, smoking it until internal temp reaches 160. Putting it in a foil pan and covering it with foil until it reached around 200 205 or until it's tender. I also like to smoke it at a higher temp. 300 to 325 seems to work real well.

Again, good luck and I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

I'd go with the smoked turkey breast. I did one for a ladies group at our church and they loved it!! Use a cherry wood, it gives it a really nice color.

Thanks again all. Ron, I am going to go with the Chris Lilly recipe...thanks so much for sharing. Off to work I go. Have a good one all.

Back