MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Unique recipes needed

I am currently attending culinary school and the program is nearing the end, and as part of my final I have to create a themed menu. Being that my passion involves bbq and grilling, that is the theme I am going with for my menu.
I need to create 5 salads, 5 soups, 7 appetizers, 10 entrees and 3 desserts, and I will have to name the item and provide a brief description on the menu.
I have already created a bunch of dishes on my own, but I have hit the wall creatively so I am looking to the brethren for some ideas.
In addition to just putting all of these items on a menu, I will need to know how to cook everything on the menu. I will be handing the menu in on Monday, Sept 17th. Then on Tuesday the instructor is going to pick any items he chooses from the menu and I will have to cook it and prepare it.
So, the recipes I am looking for will require ingredients, amounts of ingredients and cooking techniques.
Unfortunately I only have a few hours to prep and cook so slow and low bbq isn't really an option, but all grilled or oven recipes are welcome.
If you would like to share a unique recipe with me, you can post it here or send it to me in private message.
Thanks!

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Stuff a fatty and knock their socks off! Could be appetizer or entree.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

James, beyond BBQ and grilling, are you planning of focusing your menu anymore than that? Regional American, Across America, BBQ Meccas, Texan etc...or are you gonna be more across the board?

I did recently have a brilliant salad, I do not have the exact recipe, but, this is what I think.

1 cup arugula leaves, cleaned
1/4 cup Mache leaves, cleaned
6 to 7 halves of roasted walnut halves
light dressing of greens with a sweet vinnaigrette (it tastes like white balsamic vinegar to be honest)
1 grilled peach, cut in section and grilled on one side only
3 or 4 curls of Parmigianno Regianno or Grana Padano

The peaches were grilled just to warm, but, no more than that. They still tastes sweet and fresh. The dressing really tastes like a high quality white balsamic, but, it could have been a simple French vinnaigratte with some sugar added.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Go to The food network and look up good eats. Try the episode on salt I think entitled Eat This Rock. Check out the grilled beef loin where you sear it first the finish it in a salt/flour/spice pouch. MMMMMMMM GOOOOOD

Old 09-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Stuff a fatty and knock their socks off! Could be appetizer or entree.

Yeah, well you better call it a "faa-tay", and tell the dude it's popular on the Southern coast of France. I've used that line before..... some folks fall for it.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
thirdeye

James, that's a tough assignment, and not because you chose live fire cooking. That's just a lot of items that will have to work together in a menu situation, and also woo the instructor.

I never thought I would ever be caught saying this, but maybe you could gain some inspiration from someone like Bo.....Bob....Bob......Bobb....Bobby Fla... Okay, okay..... Bobby Flay. There I said it.

This suggestion is not because of his prowess with a grill, or his knowledge of BBQ. No,...... it's more along the lines that he is a chef, he does use interesting ingredients, imagination and he understands balance of flavors. Looking through some of his grilling recipes may spark some ideas.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Boshizzle

If you want a quick, easy, delicious, and impressive looking appetizer try this. It's delicious and looks elegant if you plate it right.

Grilled scallops with creamy polenta. All you have to do is make polenta or grits but use half and half as the cooking liquid instead of water. Split the scallops in half so you have two thin round pieces instead of one thick piece. Grill them with a little salt, pepper, and OO. Also, grill up some bacon. Chop the bacon into bacon bits. Put a little of the polenta in the center of the plate, top it with a pat of butter in the center, place three or four of the scallop pieces in it around the butter and sprinkle with the bacon. As the butter melts it melds into the creamy polenta which works almost like a delicous creamy buttery sauce on the scallops and the bacon adds that little zing of flavor. Garnish with parsely or anything you like.

The key is to make sure the polenta is nice and creamy. It's rich, so a little goes a long way but it makes a great appetizer. If you want to "church it up" use pancetta instead of bacon.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
deguerre

We recently did a warm sliced steak, bok choy and yellow squash salad with a cheese sauce dressing that was very good if you're interested.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=113542
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
bigabyte

Pecan Pig perhaps? Definitely different.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

OK here is a couple ideas for appetizers

Take some deveined shrimp, place a piece of pineapple in the little curve and wrap in a piece of bacon, toothpick to hold it together and grill. can do direct or indirect. Could make you a sauce to coat them with or better yet to serve with them to dip them in. these are awesome

Another unique one is scotch eggs the link below is to a recipe for them i really like, check it out, and if time is a factor you can icrease the heat on these quit a bit still indirect though, maybe 300-350. Do a test run of both of these you can adapt them and make them your own.
http://divaq.ca/diva-q-smoked-scotch...some-appetizer

Also let us know what you decide to do, would love to see the menu

Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

I just stumbled across this recipe and it looks like it might fit your criteria

Grilled Eggplant Caprese
via Serious Eats

Continuing with the mediterainian theme, for another appetizer idea, what about some grilled haloumi cheese. You could dress it up and make it a salad too I would think.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMac View Post
I just stumbled across this recipe and it looks like it might fit your criteria

Grilled Eggplant Caprese
via Serious Eats

Continuing with the mediterainian theme, for another appetizer idea, what about some grilled haloumi cheese. You could dress it up and make it a salad too I would think.
Heck, I'm making that caprese!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
bigsapper
Take a breath!

Salads with grapefruit, watermelon, oranges, etc. seem to always go well with bbq.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html
And PatioDaddio has an awesome salad posted here.

Also, grill fish like snapper, orange roughy, etc and make fish tacos with a chutney.
Love this...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

Combo... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

the today show just ran a segment on peach and tomato soup, looked like a winning combination and something that you could play with to make it your own, since tomatoes and peaches both take on some great flavors on the grill.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Sometimes I'll either bake or grill chicken breasts stuffed with pesto sauce and mozzarella (or provolone) cheese, with a light coating of oregano and red pepper on the outside.

Easy, fairly quick, and VERY flavorful.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote