Klose BYC, Lang, vert/horiz pit owners ... after using for a bit ...

Q

Q_Egg

.... what size cook do you feel is minimum to justify firing up the pit? Serious question with obviously lots of permutations in your answers .... but it will really help me to know where you have evolved after owning a BYC for some time. If you have no 'established' minimum. what is a 'typical' cook .... home environment, NOT commercial or comp plz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll fire up my WSM just to cook fatties, sausages, whatever. The Brinkmann horizontal is a bit of a fuel hog, and I need to have at least 2 butts to put on before I fire it up.

chit, i fire up the pit for a couple steaks, or even just 4 hamburgers. I used to say.. "nah, i'll use the kettle for the burgers", but Whats the difference where you use a chimney of lump and a few logs.?? If i have the extra time, i use the BYC.. So I guess the anser is...

there is no minimum amount of food, but even for samll cooks, u need about an extra 20 minutes to heat up the pit.. Even if im only cooking in the hot spot.

I fired it up Sunday for a brisket. It's the omly Mo Chine I got so if I smoke I'll fire it up.

I just bought a small Spicewine so I won't have to fireup the big Spicewine to cook something small between competitions.

Last edited:
BBQchef33 said:
chit, i fire up the pit for a couple steaks, So I guess the anser is.. .... there is no minimum amount of food, but even for samll cooks, u need about an extra 20 minutes to heat up the pit.. Even if im only cooking in the hot spot.
-------------------------------
Thanks for the subtle 'heat up' comment. It's not surprsing but the time is an unknown for me. Winter temps will also be a factor, but mine are not that bad by comparison to many.

Wifey thinks I'm nutso, but I've been serious about trying to grab the Klose 'Toyota' BYC here in northern UT. It's an 8-hour roundftrip and the cost of a rental trailer ~ $150., plus the final price of the pit. It would be lots better if I was a Toyota owner or fan, but ...

I appeciate the other comments as well .... they help put things in perspective.

Regards,

... likely this got 'hammered' to death in an earlier thread, but .... why is there no provision to shut off the vertical and open an exhaust from the horizontal .... for those who may do more in that portion of the BYC pit?

I surely understand that owners make the choice for 'both' but the ability to choose just horizontal seems like a reasonable one. What am I missing?

well.. just look at the vertical as a REALLY big smokestack at the end of the vertical. :wink: :tongue:

There is a removable baffle(optional) between the 2 chambers, but no way to shut them off.. Its just not in the design.
Personally, i see no real need, but never gave it much thought.. You buy either a BYC, or a horizontal only.. and i bought the BYC.. so why shut down half od it.?

Versatility of the BYC is its strongest point. Its really an awesome pit.

BBQchef33 said:
well.. just look at the vertical as a REALLY big smokestack at the end ................... Its really an awesome pit.
-----------------------------

.... great point for wifey ! ..... [ really efficient smokestack on that horizontal !! ] :roll:

Even if you could shut off the vertical, since the metal of the vertical is still attached you would still need to bring the temp of the walls of the vertical up to the same temp of the walls of the main chamber. Closing off the vertical wouldn't save that much fuel.

The Klose Master Chef gives you both

Hey,

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Klose Master Chef. One of the big drivers in my decision making was the ability to independently supply both the horizontal and vertical sections with smoke in different quantities.

Sounds great in theory, and I'm looking forward to lots of practical experience!

The Smokin' Badger

The master chef is a totally different design.. I cooked on it at daves house last year.. designed for grilling, smoking, roasting, alot of versatility in that one too, even moreso than the BYC. Has a lot of thought in it to make it a top notch grill and also a smoker. if i was gonna trade in, i would go for that one.. Congratualtions and let us know the details when ya get it.

I just fired up the skd to smoke season some beef for Carne Guisada (thanks jorge). It won't even get up to temp before I'm done. Just because I felt like it.

I decide what I'm going to do by time, mostly. During the week I'll generally use the kettle or the gasser just because I can be ready to cook in a few minutes. On the weekends I'll fire up the Good One for a couple of slabs of ribs and a fatty. !/2 a bag of lump and a couple of logs of some chunks and about 45 minutes and its ready to go for a short cook.

I'm surprised that no one has commented on Tom looking for another cooker! What's your next login, Tom? Tommy_Klose? Q_BYC? Tommy_Toyota? :-D :-D :-D

Good luck on your decision!

.... no sweat ..... after working my ass off all day to rent a trailer and arrange lots of details .... (according to the owner) Dave Klose outbid me for the unit by $150. I have been around long enough to know that this was what was going on all along with the seller even though they were not honest enough to say anything. Supposedly they did not want to transact business on a Sunday which was their reason for not wanting me to drive up tomorrow. ...... I dont' know how to make a spitting sound with my keyboard. sssspppppllttttahhhh !!! Nobody will believe how much visibility this BYC would have received here in this small, but close-knit market and I was already working on it.

I've got a great cooker .... I would have really been proud to own this BYC ... I won't lose a lot of sleep over this type of crud. Just cranked up the BGE to HOT !, put a grate right on the lump, per bro Curt McAdam, and did a terrifc. very thick, sushi class Ahi tuna steak with black sesame seed coating. Only took about 20 minutes total.

Now I can go down on the RV pad and put back the stuff I arranged to mount the BYC and enjoy it. Just a bit bruised, but a something else will likely come along in a couple months or so. sssspppppllttttahhhh !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no minimum in my mind. However, my wifeseems to think that spending an hour (depending on the weather) to get my Klose mobile up to temp is too long for anything but a couple of briskets,butts, a few slabs of ribs and fatties. Lucky for me she doesn't pay much attention to the time as long as appear in the house from time to time.

Back