MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS Chicken

Hey guys, I'm not a big fan of chicken on the bone but I need to make a smoked chicken on my UDS. Does anyone have a very good simple recipe? I bought some Plowboys Yardbird rub on everyones recommendation. I figure between the rub and some cherry chunk for smoke I should have a good foundation for a good meal.

Any help is much appreciated :) Thanks in advance
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Yup, spatchcock the birds, inject them with Tony Chachere's cajun butter and season under the skin and on the skin with your rub. Baste the birds with butter and lime as you cook them. I also spritz them with 50/50 cider vinegar and apple juice. I like that acidic flavor on the crispy skin.

You should not need to flip the bird but one time. At the end when you are ready to crisp up the skin. That is when I put the butter and lime juice on the exposed rib sections.

Enjoy it man. I would also only smoke wood in the first part of the cook. (One load of wood) otherwise it will be over powered on the chix.
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

yardbird and cherrywood... you are on the right path grasshopper!

the UDS is an awesome chicken cooking machine!!
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

tamadrummer is right... go light on the wood, chicken takes up smoke really well and you can overdo it... once you get your fire started don't put the chicken on until you get a good clean ( light blue smoke), on a uds once the chicken starts the smoke may be a little whiteish, thats ok, its the fat hitting the coals, but make sure you get the uds to temp and have that light blue first
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbill View Post
tamadrummer is right... go light on the wood, chicken takes up smoke really well and you can overdo it... once you get your fire started don't put the chicken on until you get a good clean ( light blue smoke), on a uds once the chicken starts the smoke may be a little whiteish, thats ok, its the fat hitting the coals, but make sure you get the uds to temp and have that light blue first
TY for the tip.. I normally use 3 pieces of chunk, 2 soaked in water and 1 dry. Does this work for this too?

Last edited by gaspipe1; 07-30-2011 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I plan on doing chicken splits tonight on the UDS as well. I'm doing them at 350°F.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

OK as intimidating as this may seem I will give it a try..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
Yup, spatchcock the birds, inject them with Tony Chachere's cajun butter and season under the skin and on the skin with your rub. Baste the birds with butter and lime as you cook them. I also spritz them with 50/50 cider vinegar and apple juice. I like that acidic flavor on the crispy skin.
OK regarding spatchcock I will figure that out...
-Injection: I will look for that if I can't find it I will try some injectable substitute. Perhaps a salad dressing packet mixed with apple juice.
-Basting: do I baste the bird the whole time or is that for the part you said at the end? If I baste the whole time every 30 min or so?
-Spray: spray every 30 min or so? If I am basting the bird can I spray and baste the same time or alternate between spraying and basting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
You should not need to flip the bird but one time. At the end when you are ready to crisp up the skin. That is when I put the butter and lime juice on the exposed rib sections.

Enjoy it man. I would also only smoke wood in the first part of the cook. (One load of wood) otherwise it will be over powered on the chix.
-Flip: So the bird should initially be placed skin side up? After I flip the bird, do I need to raise the temp? How many hours before I flip and how long till it's done?
-Temp: What should the grate temp be?
-Do I use a pan under the bird or do I let the drippings go into the firebox?

Tamadrummer I know you not my personal coach but I thank you in advance for you input, your help and your willingness to teach.

BTW: I normally place 3 chunks of cherry wood in the beginning (2 soaked in water and 1 dry)

Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Spatchcock it. I don't season the skin, because i don't eat it. but i will season up under it. then put it on the uds and open up all air holes, get the temp about 350-400 and cook about 1.25 hrs.
nice, good, juicy chicken every time
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
jalon
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
BTW: I normally place 3 chunks of cherry wood in the beginning (2 soaked in water and 1 dry)
That one piece dry will probably be enough on a UDS, like others said, chicken will take up that smoke real good.

Jalon
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

One chunk should be enough...certainly no more than two. Three will be too many in my opinion.

A couple semi-related thoughts (only my thoughts...not meant to offend anyone)...

- I season the skin because I eat the skin. The skin is about the only reason I eat chicken. I also don't use "rub" on chicken as I don't like the flavors I tend to get. I season, but very simply.

- Soaking your wood chunks does no good. If it makes you comfortable, then continue to do it. Just realize that you get no benefit from it. Sometimes the placebo effect can be a good thing.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Cook it nice and high heat.

Whole chicken should be just over an hour at 400 deg or hotter.

Make sure you don't over cook it or it will be dry.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

Google loaf pan chicken... Easy to make and nice and juicy chicken...
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Brine for 8 hours, pat dry and rest uncovered in fridge for an hour, rub with evoo and your favorite poultry rub and fire roast in drum w/ apple wood @ 350-400 for 75-90 minutes, breast side up or until 160 in the breast, 180 in the thigh..

I don't spatchcock, I like to fill the cavity with something aromatic like onion and fresh rosemary

My poultry brine

1 gal water
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup old bay seasoning
1/3 cup black peppercorn
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

gaspipe1, I hope I don't confuse you. With what you said you have, this is how I'd do it. 1st. Spatchcock the chicken into 2 halves. 2nd. Generously coat with Yardbird rub(sprinkle on good, both sides). 3rd. Put chicken in frig to rest 45 min. 4th. Start my UDS(plan on 350 or higher). 5th. Planning on 1-1 1/2 hours put chicken in skin side down. 6th. 35 min into cook quickly flip chicken and recover Drum. 7th. Check chicken at 1 hour for prop temp, pull when temps good. 8th. Eat and enjoy

Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

As always I humbley thank the community for their help and support.. Here is what I have done so far:

-Spatchcocked two chickens (One into halves for easy handling and the second whole ala Steven Raichlen style via youtube)
-I put each bird into a ziplock bag and marinaded them in a Vadalia Onion dressing. I couldn't find an injectable marinade in Costco, and my Italian dressing packet was expired. So I found this salad dressing and remember reading that someone uses it as a marinade.

My plans tomorrow are to pat dry the birds and sprinkle Plowboys Yardbird rub... come to think of it...perhaps I should experiment and see if I can taste a difference. One with rub and one without.

Get the drum temp 375* +/- for the 1 to 1.5 hours that everyone recommends. Use the mop (butter/lime) and spray (apple juice and cider vinegar) every 30 min or so.

Hopefully I do not get over whelmed and am able to take some pr0n.

Tags
recipe, Smoked Chicken, uds