MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
DoubleC
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default What's a fair price ?

I have been asked to cook for a local charitable golf tournament. I purchased all the food which is enough to feed about 300. I think they are only having 124 people eat. We'll be doing sausage wraps mostly with a few pork butts to pull for sandwiches and some brat's. What's a fair price to charge them or agree to.

I am using my own supplies to cook on and with, plus am purchasing all of the food myself.
DoubleC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

1 000 000 dollars

Sorry man had to..... I have no idea

Old 10-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Depends if you are an insured and health department inspected catering business or just a BBQer. Also depends if you are selling sides, drinks and the such.

List down what you are selling and suggested price. think what you would pay from buying from other places.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Why did you purchase so much?
Why did you purchase without a deposit or contract?
Are you a licensed/insured caterer?
Need a lot more info to answer your question.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Charitable event, you're not a pro? I'd do it for the cost of supplies and chalk the event up to experience and the good feeling you get by allowing more money to go to the charitable event.

Choosing to "cater" is not just what's the price, there are liabilities and responsibilities that come with being the "food guy". I don't have insurance or a license or anything else to call my self a caterer. What I do is go over and cook at friends places. More often than not I cook for the cost associated with the meat and coal and wood, I don't build a profit in to my plan, because I am not legitimate yet, but if and when I do, then I will build a profit into it. Now I am learning, learning how to cook for 300, feed 400 and get it all right. If they want a caterer, refer them to someone that knows the business, could use the business, then ask them if you can help. Lot's to learn!! Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

You got a lot of good advice above. When I have cooked for charity organizations, I have found that there is a limit for what folks will pay, that limit seems to be around $8 here in CA. A tri-tip or brisket sandwich seems to sell straight away for that price. Selling sausage, it seems like sales have been better at the $5 mark. Folks seem to view them as hot dogs.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
DoubleC
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the advise.

I am not insured or licensed. I'm only doing this because it's a private event and most people who cater for a living would charge a lot more. I only cater private parties and such when requested. They approached me at home one day after work. I do not advertise and I do not cook for the general public. My business comes by word of mouth only. I've turned down a lot of jobs due to health dept rules but I've not had one complaint the three years I've been doing this. I do it for my family to bring in extra money. I've always heard that if you are really good at something you should never give it away. I've done that to much already.

We purchased enough to feed 300 based on the fact that most of what they are eating will be sausage wraps which is what they wanted mainly. If most get two or three wraps then that adds up quick if you have 125 players. Were adding sandwiches for variety. Were feeding them before the tournament, after the tournament, and I'll be set up by the 9th hole for anyone wanting food as they pass through.

I cook all the time here locally. It all started with a block party I did and the next thing I know I'm getting pounded with requests. I've never charged a church a dime and have cooked for 400 on more than one occasion. If they had to pay somebody else or hire someone else like a restaurant, then yes there would have been formalities. I know these guy's well so to make it easier we just all shook hands and called it a deal.

That will probably not work in many places nowdays but it still does where I live here in West Texas.
DoubleC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

OK, great information. I would do it for cost and set up a tips jar. When participate in those events the beer cart staff and food staff tend to do very well on tips. If not that way, what would you consider your day worth, 300 400? Add it to the cost of food/coal/wood and go from there. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
FltEng
On the road to being a farker

I do a lot of charity events; I charge cost of goods + $25 for incidentals. All profit goes to the charitable organization, after all it is about the organization making the money and not me.
FltEng is offline   Reply With Quote