MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
Porkpuller
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Newbie

Hey Group

I am a newbie from Long Island who recently received a charbroil offset smoker as a gift. I have been smoking pork butts for a few years using an electric smoker but have never used a real fire. I practiced a few times using charcol to try to maintain a fairly steady temperature. I was hoping to try to smoke some ribs for fathers day but need some advice. First off should I use wood chunks, wood chips or logs for my smoke. Secondly I tried to access the recipe to get rib rub recipe but the site told me to send a private message to one of the moderators before I can get access. I am not sure where this should be done or exactly how. I have been lurking in the background for about a week after I joined but now I am ready to start smoking.

Porkpuller
Porkpuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
BIGWILLY
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome, my wife was born and raised in Amityville, are you near there?

UDS
Stainless Gasser
Disco (plow disc, ranchera disc, discada)
Char-Broil "Patio Caddie" (Gas)
Cook n' Kettle Cast Iron Grilling Kettle
BIGWILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Porkpuller

A couple of towns away. My wife gets her hair done in Amityville at the Gazebo. Your wife should know where the Gazebo is located if she lived there for any length of time. Thanks for the welcome

Old 06-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Use charcoal as your base, then start adding chunks each time you add more charcoal. Don't soak anything and enjoy the fire. Make sure you put on a fatty or some other sausage thingie so you will have a snack as you cook. Have fun.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Welcome...

Lots of Long Island members here. Be sure to visit Willie B's BBQ in Bayshore as well.

I'd suggest chunks with charcoal in the smoker you have.

I will send you the recipe section link via PM in a few minutes
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome porkpuller, this site rocks. You will learn so much here if you just take time to listen to the old-timers and ask questions no matter how stupid they may seem. Lesson #1 around here that you must start with is "no pics, it didn't happen"... and lesson #2, have fun!!!
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson View Post
Welcome porkpuller, this site rocks. You will learn so much here if you just take time to listen to the old-timers and ask questions no matter how stupid they may seem. Lesson #1 around here that you must start with is "no pics, it didn't happen"... and lesson #2, have fun!!!
No kidding about the no pics, didnt happen thing,

try not to hijack a post if you are a newbie like me

Michael

FEC100
Traeger 124
WSM
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Another Long Islander...wooo hooo! Welcome...and yes stop by Willie B's

Pull up a chair stay awhile....have a beer
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 AM   #10
jas_rho
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hi,
I'm new too and hoping to learn a lot from this sight! I am looking now for my first smoker and dunno what to get but I have used the gas grill a few times and it has come out pretty good. In Finland where I live its a little hard to find the right wood chips. Mostly they have only Alder but now a little hickory and apple are starting to show up.
jas_rho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Porkpuller

Thanks everyone that replied.
I had my first attempt at ribs yesterday and it wasn't pretty. I had lots of trouble maintaining the temperature level for the first 2 1/2 hours but then was able to hold a 240 temp. I realized that I had to add to the charcols a little more frequently than I original thought. I used 2 racks of ribs that I smoked for a little over 7 hours. The ribs looked beautiful and they had a nice taste but the ribs were very tough and the meat stuck to the bone. The ribs on the thick end had a large fat deposit in the middle of the meat. What did I do wrong???? I also tried some chicken thighs which weren't too bad but I had to finish them off using direct heat. The recipe I used said to smoke the thighs for 2 hours but they definitely needed more time.

Barry