Harvard Fall Festival - No Parsley

BoneDaddy's

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Of the 40+ teams going, how many already have a crate of parsley and won't read the KCBS ban?

Lettuce anyone!:mad:

Of the 40+ teams going, how many already have a crate of parsley and won't read the KCBS ban?

Lettuce anyone!:mad:

?????

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

To think I suffered through 5 parsley box preps this weekend...LOL

Last edited:
alert

http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=177

September 15, 2009

Temporary Rule Change - effective immediately - Parsley

Due the recall of parsley shipped to 10 different states, which have been recalled due to the risk of salmonella contamination and food poisoning in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. The Board of Directors has issued the follow advisory and rule change for all KCBS sanctioned contest held between this date and September 20, 2009.

The use of all types of parsley (including but not limited to curly, flat leaf, Italian or any other type) and cilantro is prohibited and shall constitute an illegal garnish and therefore be disqualified.

The decision to ban the use of parsley and cilantro is made out of abundant caution and concern for the protection of all participants including cooks, judges and visitors, as well as the effect parsley use could have upon a judge whom was concerned the product they were judging could be contaminated. This decision is made in the interest of fair competition.

This ban is only for the period stated and will not effect any other future competition unless the FDA or other authorities issue additional warnings.

Guys, get in touch with the promoter / organizer of the event. THEY need to send
something out to the teams, ASAP, whether it's a phone call, emails, etc.

Also, I'm of the personal opinion that they should (if it's legal) as a result of this ban,
disallow any garnish whatsoever. This way folks wont have to go out and purchase
lettuce only to find out 2 days from now that it's banned also....

JMHO.

I think KCBS should of mandated (or funded) the organizers to have cases of green leaf available so this whole thing isnt on the cooks to deal with.

someone

Guys, get in touch with the promoter / organizer of the event. THEY need to send
something out to the teams, ASAP, whether it's a phone call, emails, etc.

Also, I'm of the personal opinion that they should (if it's legal) as a result of this ban,
disallow any garnish whatsoever. This way folks wont have to go out and purchase
lettuce only to find out 2 days from now that it's banned also....

JMHO.

I just got 3 emails regarding this weekends event and the ban on parsely and celantro looks like they went out to the entire email list for this weekend as you posted this lol It appears some one is on top of it. :icon_cool

I just got 3 emails regarding this weekends event and the ban on parsely and celantro looks like they went out to the entire email list for this weekend as you posted this lol It appears some one is on top of it. :icon_cool

Good deal. At least 1 promoter/organizer is on the ball! We're signed up
for a contest on the 25th/26th and I'm curious as to how all of this is
going to play out. I have a baaaaad feeling this is going to go the route
of the tomato scare earlier (ie. prolonged).

I do wish they'd (KCBS) just ditch allowing garnish altogether... Fix short
term, and fix long term. It would end it.

Mind you, I'm a certified judge. I had another get all in my . . . feces
about this, saying garnish isn't taken in to account, blah blah. I know,
and he's right. HOWEVER, there's always the judge who is just amazed
at how pretty it all looks and score higher, because of the garnish.
Take it out (the garnish), and that argument is moot/over.

I say go no garnish what so ever untill this things settles down. I couldn't place that other green stuff in a box as i have never done it. Could have it's advantages though?

It puts the pros on the same level as me the "never done either". I say bring it on, but then again I like a challenge

Back