• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Pork

paydabill

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I going to admit to the group - PORK is killing me. 2 evetns two bombs! 15 out of 32 and 16 out of 35.

I need help - right now I am injecting with AJ, salt and sugar. Then cook until desired temp and cutting. Presentation my scores have done well. However, my taste and tenderness has bombed.

Any pointer will be gladly accepted! PM or whatever, I will buy you a beer or two at the next contest we are at.

Are you using the Magic-Magnificent-Magnanimous-Money-Muscle? If you are shredding, does it have a lot of bark? Temp/Time/poundage of meat? When are you pulling it off? How long do you let it rest?

Ok here is the process -

2 8 pound Boston.

I inject with 2 cups apple juice, 2 tbls salt and sugar. I rub them and let them sit. At 10:00 I pull them out to let them get to room temp.

Put on smoker fat side up at 225. When the probe says 165, I foil them with brown sugar, little more rub, and apple juice. At 190 I pull the one I am going to slice with out, let out a little steam and put in the cooler to keep warm. The second one I cook to 200 and then put in the cooler to keep warm. They rest for at least 2 hours.

For turn in, I do the money muscle sliced, and shreaded. i sauce the top of the money muscle and and the shreaded pieces. All shreaded pieces have bark.

I do not use Fab or Butchers block.

All help is appreciated - I told my wife, I hope you like pulled pork becuase that is all you are getting this weekend.

Can't see much wrong here. Try fat down and then flip when you wrap.

I have heard that judges don't really like too much apple juice in the pork, and if they taste it, they will score it down--although I have little experience either way. As OC mentioned, sauce is important what kind are you using?

How does it taste to you? How much/what kind of smoke are you using?

I just found out, sauce is boss!!!!

I would tend to agree.

When your typical judge goes to a BBQ restaurant, what are they eating? I gotta believe that some parts of the country have folks eating dry Q, but most folks lather up the sauce (even in Memphis).

What were you category averages for the pork? That info can help to see if its taste, apperance, or tenderness.

I going to admit to the group - PORK is killing me. 2 evetns two bombs! 15 out of 32 and 16 out of 35.

I need help - right now I am injecting with AJ, salt and sugar. Then cook until desired temp and cutting. Presentation my scores have done well. However, my taste and tenderness has bombed.

Any pointer will be gladly accepted! PM or whatever, I will buy you a beer or two at the next contest we are at.

PM sent

I can't help ya....I gotta play against ya.....:rolleyes:

your mixture may need some tweaking but like plowboy said, you're on the right track.

I can't compete versus a legend - oops - did i say that out loud? :icon_shy

I can't help ya....I gotta play against ya.....:rolleyes:

your mixture may need some tweaking but like plowboy said, you're on the right track.

Do share the secret.
Spread the wealth. I'll trade you a chicken tip. :-D

His comment said something completely different earlier, and it was edited, not sure why.:confused: Something about brining and then injecting the brine and not being afraid of Allspice. That is all I remember.

Back