• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can someone explain digital temp controler to me?

B

bo_gator

Can someone please explain how digital temp controllers work on a smoker like a WSM :?:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Aubers. There is a fan that fits in one of the holes in a bottom vent. All others are shut. You have a temperature probe that goes on the cooking grate and is connected to the contoller. The controller is set at whatever temperature you want to cook at and when the temp drops below your target temperature, the fan kicks on and blows on the coals till the temp comes up.

Other controllers have a lot more features, wi-fi, charts, graphs, etc., but I just wanted one to contol the temp and the Auber works great for that. I have both size fans so if I want to cook at 300 or higher I just put on the bigger fan and may have to play with the bottom vents. On a WSM wind is a big factor, probably more than ambient temp.

Cayman1 hit it. To put it simpler, the controller blows air on the fuel if it decides that the pit temp needs to be hotter and stops air if it doesn't need to be hotter. It's all regulated by where you have the thermostat setting.

It works basically the same as your thermostat in your house does. You set it and it regulates the temp in the house without you having to mess with turning the furnace on and off yourself.

Can someone please explain how digital temp controlers work on a smoker like a WSM :?:

Great! If you are looking for detail, here you go:
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller"]PID controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I use Aubers. There is a fan that fits in one of the holes in a bottom vent. All others are shut. You have a temperature probe that goes on the cooking grate and is connected to the contoller. The controller is set at whatever temperature you want to cook at and when the temp drops below your target temperature, the fan kicks on and blows on the coals till the temp comes up.

Other controllers have a lot more features, wi-fi, charts, graphs, etc., but I just wanted one to contol the temp and the Auber works great for that. I have both size fans so if I want to cook at 300 or higher I just put on the bigger fan and may have to play with the bottom vents. On a WSM wind is a big factor, probably more than ambient temp.

Are you talking about something like this :?:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=170

Simply, a temperature controller keeps a WSM at a constant temperature by controlling how much air gets to your lit fuel.

They all do the same thing, but a little diferently.

Like the Auber, my iQue 110 has a temperature probe that goes in the cooking chamber. That tells the controller what the temp is where the meat is. The controler then uses a variable speed fan to speed up or slow down the flow of air as needed to maintain your desired cooking temperature.

On a WSM, you close down two of the three bottom vents completely, and the temperature controller attaches to the third vent, which is wide open.

CD

They act like fluffer on a p0rn0 movie set. Just enough windy to keep the fire hot :cool:

Hey Bo, It's similar to a temp controller for when you're brewin' 'cept you're usin' it to control the heat & not the cold, and it's electrifying a fan for the coals rather than running a fridge. Cheers!!!

So, with an 18 1/2" WSM how bad are these controllers at driving the temps above the set point :?:

How do you know how big of a fire to build when using a controller :?: Is it all trial and error :?:

So, with an 18 1/2" WSM how bad are these controllers at driving the temps above the set point :?:

The controller will not turn the fan on if the wsm is at the set temp. Temp spikes are caused by opening the cooker and allowing a big rush of air to the coals no different than opening the dampers.

How do you know how big of a fire to build when using a controller :?: Is it all trial and error :?:

The fire you build, meaning how full to fill the ring is determined by how long you want the fire to last. For most things, I fill the ring. Unless I'm cooking 300 or higher 12-15 lit briquettes is all you need to start it. You should get 8-12 hours on a full ring depending on all the other factors. If you use a controller, try to catch the temp on the way up. When approaching target temp, shut the bottom dampers and let it settle.

A temp range is fine. Don't kill yourself trying to keep an exact temp of say 250. 235-265 is ok for a desired range of 250, but you will find a wsm will hold temp rock solid without much if any attention.

You will learn by doing. Good info here and on tvwbb forum.

I have had the BBQ guru DigiQ DX2 for about two months now and maybe about 6-7 cooks on it. I cooked two butts Wednesday on the 22" WSM and used a full ring of charcoal. I lit about 20 briquettes and threw on top and set the Guru at 235. When the pit hit 175 I closed the other two vents and within a few minutes it was at 235 and every time I checked it over the next 14 hours, it was at 235. Best butts I have cooked to date. It's kind of like the guy used to say "set it and forget it". I trust it that much now. The temp on the WSM is already pretty easy to manage, but I think it's a good investment just for peace of mind on the long overnight cooks. My .02.

Yep, that's it. Simply put, the pid part means this controller learns your cooker and how long the fan needs to blow to raise the temp. I don't mess with the pid part, just use the default "set temp".

Actually PID parameters are set and that's how they work. The PID tuning loop does not learn the pit. That's why some of the old pit controllers would get "Integral windup" and have a big spike every once in a while. Unless you had a temp alarm, you would never know. The only way a PID controller learns your pit is if it has an adaptive algorithm or fuzzy logic like the auber products.

They act like fluffer on a p0rn0 movie set. Just enough windy to keep the fire hot :cool:

Fark your good! Bout the best explanation a man could possibly hear lol

Actually PID parameters are set and that's how they work. The PID tuning loop does not learn the pit. That's why some of the old pit controllers would get "Integral windup" and have a big spike every once in a while. Unless you had a temp alarm, you would never know. The only way a PID controller learns your pit is if it has an adaptive algorithm or fuzzy logic like the auber products

Good catch. I should have specified the Auber when discussing the pit learning.

I just placed an order for this one a few minutes ago. :clap: :clap: :clap:

You are going to love it!

I have one on my $60 WSM clone and it makes it perform like a champ. I could not be happier with it

if you have any questions on it let me know, more than glad to help a Brethren

Last edited:
I just placed an order for this one a few minutes ago. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good service to report, placed the order about 10 AM Eastern, and got the shipping notification at 3:30 PM. :clap: :clap: :clap:

They have good service and my controllers work great, so far. Makes the overnight cooks very easy. No need to worry what the temp is because it is whatever you set the controller on.

One little tip, set the high alarm and the low alarm about 20 degrees away from your target temp otherwise every little fluctuation of one degree will initiate the alarm. If I recall, the unit comes set at 250, but don't quote me on this as it has been awhile since I got mine and they have been set everywhere, from 220 to 350.

I'm just going to say it, and then duck as y'all start throwing chicken and rib bones at me.......but a BBQ grill should not have electronics of any kind coming from it or going into it.........(ducks and runs).

Back