MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Default Trailer with RV

I have an RV with a hitch carrier that carries my FEC100 but am thinking about getting a trailer to carry the a couple of cookers and such and still prep/stay in the RV.

Does anyone do this? Since it will be about 45' in length (RV+Trailer), Do most comps try to accomodate that or do you have to drop the trailer after unload and then bring RV back to site to setup.

I know this primarily depends on the location of the comp. but I'm thinking of using a pellet grill in addition to my FEC but it won't fit in the RV bays and that would be too much for a Hitch carrier.

Thanks!
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

We've done that for the last couple of years, I think we're about 55' long. We've had to pay a little more for extra space but not always.
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

We are pretty new but cooked 5 comps last year. Each comp we had out 32' Class A motorhome hauling either a uHaul 4x8 and then our 8x10 cargo trailer. We are just under 50 feet and as long as we communicated ahead of time we had minimal issues with space. The only pain is that in most cases we had to unhitch and position trailer to fit in 40 foot space. Looking at a little bigger trailer now to leave our new FEC inside with a prep table.
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

Would you mind sharing a pic or two of your hitch set up for the FEC
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
Yes I will try to get one. Its basically one of those hitch haulers that are made for those "Rascal" type of scooters and it has a ramp that folds up and I put a couple of ratchet straps on it. I ran it about 1600 miles round trip once with no problems. I just want to carry more now.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

We use a 34' RV with a 12' trailer. (51 feet long with the tongue) We use an FEC and a Backwoods, and also mounted all of our gear on wire shelving with casters. Almost everything just rolls off.

We try to get 20x40 spaces, and when we do it all fits in space. When it doesn't, we drop the trailer in the parking lot, using a hand or electric dolly to move it around.

I thought about using a hitch mount for the FEC, but the trailer lets me move a lot more gear. The only downside is backing up an RV with a trailer is much more difficult than with a pickup truck because the hitch is so far behind the rear wheels.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
Yes, I'd love to see that myself! Must be a darn good one with the FEC weighing in at over 400lbs!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls View Post
Yes I will try to get one. Its basically one of those hitch haulers that are made for those "Rascal" type of scooters and it has a ramp that folds up and I put a couple of ratchet straps on it. I ran it about 1600 miles round trip once with no problems. I just want to carry more now.
Something along the lines of this?
SC500 Hitch-mounted Mobility Equipment and Cargo Carrier

I've looked at these a few time as I don't like the idea towing a utility trailer any long distance and can't really afford a cargo trailer at this point.

Would love to hear more about your experience with it.
(Sorry for the thread highjack )

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
Yes, I'd love to see that myself! Must be a darn good one with the FEC weighing in at over 400lbs!
Cookshack lists the shipping weight as 416#s. So even with a load of pellets you would be under the 500# weight limit of that carrier that I posted above.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

The FEC100 is top heavy, so you will also need to secure it from the top.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

This is a little dark but, it is my FEC100 loaded on the back of my motorhome and ready to leave on a trip to Slidell last year. The Trip was 1,500 miles roundtrip. It traveled very well.

The picture looks a little close to the ground but it sits about 24" off of the ground or more.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

You can see I have it strapped across all four sided and the ramp also lynch pins to the ramp frame so it is tightly secured on the hitch and the tounge rating on my hitch was 600lbs.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls View Post
This is a little dark but, it is my FEC100 loaded on the back of my motorhome and ready to leave on a trip to Slidell last year. The Trip was 1,500 miles roundtrip. It traveled very well.

The picture looks a little close to the ground but it sits about 24" off of the ground or more.
I have a 40' damon tuscany motorhome(not mine, but what I do own), I am guessing you don't "toad dingy" anything behind it?

I love to do what you are doing, but need a another car after I get to the contest.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote