MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default Who Else Can't Stand MSG?

My Mom used MSG all the time when I was in my teens (70's) I made some ribs a week ago and used some store bought rub without checking. It had MSG listed second. I was really disappointed with the outcome mostly because of the metallic taste the MSG imparts.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

One of the very few things I'm allergic to. It will cause tightening of my chest.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Sometimes it will give me a terrible headache.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Never has bothered me but I never knowingly use or eat it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
buccaneer

Me.
Anything that dehydrates me and gives me sensations after consuming is not to be consumed.
Common sense rule.

Edit after reading excited raves on how to discuss MSG;
This is from observing effects on my own body.
I stated it knowing full well the FDA findings and conclusions, but since I observed these effects despite believing all I had read,I would need to suffer insanity to deny reality and follow a belief.
YMMV

Last edited by buccaneer; 12-23-2012 at 04:10 PM..
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Read this

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=msg

2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Boshizzle

After dealing with digestion issues for over 25 years, only by the grace of God did the true cause of my problems ever get diagnosed. Nowadays, I can eat anything without a problem. There was a time when I was on 40mg Nexium twice a day and still had issues even when watching my diet. My doctor told me I'd have to be on that stuff for the rest of my life. He was wrong! I haven't had Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Axid, Pepcid, or any other acid reducer/blocker for over seven years. It was like a miracle when I was properly diagnosed and treated.

Bring on the MSG! It doesn't bother me.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
mallorjc
On the road to being a farker

I've never noticed a metallic taste (maybe it was those4 years in Shanghai), or any particular benefit. Won't try to avoid, and will not add.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I avoid anything that's not a necessary ingredient in food. So unless I'm eating Doritos, which is a rare occasion, I don't eat anyhing with MSG.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
After dealing with digestion issues for over 25 years, only by the grace of God did the true cause of my problems ever get diagnosed. Nowadays, I can eat anything without a problem. There was a time when I was on 40mg Nexium twice a day and still had issues even when watching my diet. My doctor told me I'd have to be on that stuff for the rest of my life. He was wrong! I haven't had Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Axid, Pepcid, or any other acid reducer/blocker for over seven years. It was like a miracle when I was properly diagnosed and treated.

Bring on the MSG! It doesn't bother me.
If you don't mind me asking, what was diagnosed? I ask because I have the same issues.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what was diagnosed? I ask because I have the same issues.
Check your PM.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I never use it, and have never used it in asian food at all. In the restraurant I worked in through college, they put it in everything. It was in the stock, the fried rice, the batter, the marinaded meats... everything. When I cook similar foods at home, I never use it and the food is way better anyway as you taste the natural ingredients. The food is not masked with that all intruding MSG flavour.

In particular, the thing that concerns me is the use of MSG in injections for Brisket and pulled pork. If you have to use that ingredient to make a winning competition brisket... you shouldn't be winning.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Gluten is the new MSG (unless you have medically diagnosed celiac disease).

Pass it on.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Boshizzle

My wife has celiac sprue. It's become a very prevalent problem nowadays for a lot of people, unfortunately.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

I don't believe in the msg boogey man, I think its a useful tool in my spice rack.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote