MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Garvin Blackmon
Found some matches.

Default Stuff a Whole Pig with Whole Chickens??

Good Day Gents and Ladies,

Well Hello From Sunny Bangkok!! And Hope this is the correct place to ask this Question or 3...

I have a Brand New UDS due from Fab Shop today.
Planning on putting a pig on it Saturday for serving Sunday. Pig is 35 to 40 kg so70+ to 80+ lbs. Will know when I get it from shop.
I "Plan" to stuff the Cavity with Whole Chickens as well.. some Herbs and spices also of course,.. But Has anyone had any experience doing this?
Wonder what that will do to my cooking time.. How Long to estimate.. I Do know this is not an Exact time measurement and "Q" is always ready when it gets ready,.. but an estimate?

Any references on how to serve it all up. Heck on any comments / Ideas at all I am greaful.. Figure You are the Guys to Ask.

Oh..
Smoker is coming Sand Blasted..Ideas on 'Seasoning' the thing? was planing to make several Dry runs (No food) to determine Characteristics of this smoker.. Also just run the Temp as High as I can.. But that is about all I can think of to do.. Should I spray Cooking oil inside First? before Firing the Coals / wood?

Thanks

Garvin
Garvin Blackmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Arristillius
Got Wood.

How big is your UDS? I couldn't imagine my 55 gallon drum smoker would fit a 70 lb pig, are you going to hang it vertically or put it on a spit above the barrel?
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Even a little piglet of 20-30 lbs would be hard to hang in there without being right on top of the fire basket (assuming you have a fire basket). No experience here with the chickens.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm thinking maybe he doesn't mean UDS. Unless he's found onehelluva big D!
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, that sounds like a bad idea. I could very well be wrong, but if the pig gets done before the chicken stuffed inside it, you will either have to overcook the pig, or undercook the chickens. Undercooking the chickens could lead to a whole lot of time in the bathroom, if you know what I mean.

Add the fact that this will be your first cook on a new cooker, and I see all kinds of potentially bad things happening. You are asking for ideas to season your new UDS, so you can do a first cook of a pig stuffed with chickens?

Help me out here, brethren, am I the only one just a little bit worried?

I may be a complete wuss, but I would go a little less out there for my first cook on a new cooker.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Garvin Blackmon
Found some matches.

"How big is your UDS? I couldn't imagine my 55 gallon drum smoker would fit a 70 lb pig, are you going to hang it vertically or put it on a spit above the barrel?"

"
Even a little piglet of 20-30 lbs would be hard to hang in there without being right on top of the fire basket (assuming you have a fire basket). No experience here with the chickens."

Thanks for comments.. It Just Barely Fits..Drum / Cooking Chamber is 33 inches insde.. length wise.. Pig 35 kg including Head is 31 inches in length..
Smoker design is a lower drum as Fire Box, Flues for heat Smoke (6" dia) go up into upper drum as cooking snamber..

Appoligizes for no Pic's YET.. But Smoker is Due from Fab Shop any time now to my home..

Man these guys kept me hanging on the Delivery till the 11th Hour... But in Thailand, 'Murphy and his Whole family are really Active with that 'Law' of His ... LOL

Gar

Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Garvin Blackmon
Found some matches.

Thanks Caseydog..
Ok, That settles it.. I KNOW when to LISTEN to the experts!!

I will do the Chickens in my smaller Smoker!! That would be a Wiser / Safer course of Action.
I know it is "Iffy" doing a Whole Pig as 'First meat in a new smoker..But I got Stuck into the situation.

I plan on geting it in the smoker by early Sat AM 9:00 am latest, and staying with it till it is ready.. have 6 friends also here on Saturday coming in 'Shifts" to help out..

Appreciate you guys all keeping your fingers crossed for me ..

Gar

Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
Fishin4bass723
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Looking forward to seeing the pics
Quote:
Smoker design is a lower drum as Fire Box, Flues for heat Smoke (6" dia) go up into upper drum as cooking snamber..

Appoligizes for no Pic's YET.. But Smoker is Due from Fab Shop any time now to my home..
Fishin4bass723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin Blackmon View Post
Thanks Caseydog..
Ok, That settles it.. I KNOW when to LISTEN to the experts!!

I will do the Chickens in my smaller Smoker!! That would be a Wiser / Safer course of Action.
I know it is "Iffy" doing a Whole Pig as 'First meat in a new smoker..But I got Stuck into the situation.

I plan on geting it in the smoker by early Sat AM 9:00 am latest, and staying with it till it is ready.. have 6 friends also here on Saturday coming in 'Shifts" to help out..

Appreciate you guys all keeping your fingers crossed for me ..

Gar
It's very simple. Never cook Raw Chicken with any other meat. Salmonella awaits.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
But I got Stuck into the situation.
So either the wife volunteered you or you got drunk a volunteered yourself!

Fess up

Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Good luck with the new cooker. Good idea separating the meats, just gonna be better all the way around.

Have a friend that moved to Bangkok a few years ago and he sent me a shirt from Roadhouse Barbecue there. Ever been there? Checked out the website, looked pretty good.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #12
Garvin Blackmon
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy View Post
So either the wife volunteered you or you got drunk a volunteered yourself!

Fess up

Well... You are 100% correct 555.
It started with myself and 3 friends sitting with some 'Adult" beverages in a Comfortable Pub, in comfortable chairs and talking of the Brisket I had done a few weeks before...

Well one Friend ,.. forgot which one, said.. Wow, I would like to do a Whole animal.. a Pig or a Lamb, That would be Awesome !!! and we all agreed and agreed 'Enthusiastically; All of the friends live in Apartments in Town,. so have no place to do such a thing.. So I said "I have a Smoker,.. and plenty of lawn space.. Shade trees etc.." So in no time at all... They agreed to pay for the Pig and sundry items and off we all went..

Then,.. I learned How Big (Long ) the Pig would be,.. Oooppss Biger than my smoker.. So beggan the Mad Rush to Build, and here we are some three weeks later Facing a Sunday Pig Feast!! LOL

Btw, the number 5 is pronounced 'Ha' in Thai language.. Therefore '555' sounds like 'Ha Ha Ha' Just trivia..

Garvin

Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #13
Garvin Blackmon
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
Good luck with the new cooker. Good idea separating the meats, just gonna be better all the way around.

Have a friend that moved to Bangkok a few years ago and he sent me a shirt from Roadhouse Barbecue there. Ever been there? Checked out the website, looked pretty good.

It is pretty good Food.. one of only a Few over here. But that is changing!!
Gar

Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Wow, that sounds like a bad idea. I could very well be wrong, but if the pig gets done before the chicken stuffed inside it, you will either have to overcook the pig, or undercook the chickens. Undercooking the chickens could lead to a whole lot of time in the bathroom, if you know what I mean.

Add the fact that this will be your first cook on a new cooker, and I see all kinds of potentially bad things happening. You are asking for ideas to season your new UDS, so you can do a first cook of a pig stuffed with chickens?

I may be a complete wuss, but I would go a little less out there for my first cook on a new cooker.

CD
I agree. A turducken is one thing. But a pigken ??
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD
What CD said!

Tags
new smoker, Pig Stuffed with Chicken, uds, Whole Pig Smoke