Good Idea or Waste of $20.00

Those look just like the cast iron wood chip boxes I have seen lately for smoking on a gasser or charcoal grill.

As for waste of money, I dunno... as shown in the photo with a steak, its a waste of money. The heat and air movement inside the grill at those temps is too high for any significant amount of moisture to interact with the food on a noticeable level. If it was in a zone setup where you were cooking lower and slower, it might be helpful to some degree. I often toss a measuring cup full of water in the oven when I'm cooking certain things, but the oven is also a closed environment where the moisture isn't gonna be forced out of the system with the airflow.

It looks to be about 2.5-3 pounds. If it is prime, it's definitely worth $20. If Choice, it's still a good deal but it's your call. I generally like them cut a bit thinner though. That's really more like a roast, and I'm thinking it's going to be awfully raw in the middle the way they're cooking it.

As far as those other things on the grate, I think they're just taking up valuable food space.

I think its a waste of money to buy them.

If you like the concept or want to try it, just use a pot of water or a baking pan.
No need to spend the cash on the cast iron boxes.

I say "waste of money". Even if you like the concept of adding moisture, you can use anything to hold the liquid. Beer cans, throw away foil pans, anything can be used. Why spend $20? Just my opinion.

Save your money or spend it on a bottle of Jack. You will get much more enjoyment from the Jack.

If it doesn't help much when you run one up a chickens butt I don't see how it will help much sitting next to some meat either..........

I'll let these go for 20 bucks.

row-of-empty-food-cans-thumb12434651.jpg

^^^Ditto that, or use those little aluminum pie pans that you can get a billion for a buck or so...

Use the money to buy a case of beer in cans. Crack one open and place it on the grill. Now you have steam and 23 beers left for yourself.

I'm with Guerry. If I wanted to add moisture and "infuse complex flavors" I'd just use cans, drip pans, etc and spend the money on meat or beer.

Those look just like the cast iron wood chip boxes I have seen lately for smoking on a gasser or charcoal grill.
I think that's what they are. Probably weren't selling well and the seller decided to expand the market. Next ad: New! Decorative Paper Weights!

Lowe's had a bunch of those marked down to $14. However, the ones they had were round and looked like a small dutch oven. I thought really hard about it, cause they were heavy, and nicely coated. Could have been used for sauces, beans, etc. But in the end, the lack of a proper lid kept me from buying them. I'd say save your money.

Case of beer, bottle of Jack or almost anything for 20 bucks but that. :cool:

I used to use cans for adding moisture, although lately I have been using cast iron skillets with water in them and they work just as well as the cans. Still, they look nice, if money was not an issue, I might get them just for grins.

Back