MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
noclss2000
On the road to being a farker

Default Insulating a grill/smoker

So, since it's getting cold out, I started thinking about how I'm going to do any smoking during the winter. I've gotten caught with my pants down, per say, when I was trying to smoke something and it started raining, killing my temp. So I can imagine the winter cold won't be much better.
I've read a little about using a welding blanket to wrap or cut and tape together with high temp adhesive tape to make a tight cover. I've also read about using this high temp adhesive tape to put on the inside of the grill? I'm not sure how all of this will work with the setup I have. It's a master forge grill/smoker so the charcoal sits under the grates. Can I wrap the area that would I guess be considered the "firebox?" this would allow me to wrap the whole grill that would need the heat held in and not just the lid of the grill.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Uomograsso

I've used fiberglass water heater insulation to insulate my smoker. That and good old duct tape. It's cheap ($20 to $25), easy to cut (use a utility knife and long straight board) and easy wrap around your smoker.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Kin...9#.Umi4HRCMOAY

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^^^^ What he said, except be sure not to block the vents, and I think two or three bungee cords would be a better solution than any tape. You could also use some velcro strips.
Dave

Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

I just recently inquired about this in the UDS thread. I found some at home depot that was not fiberglass, but recycled denim material. I thought about doing that due to the fact that I hate fussing with fiberglass.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

I used an old wool army blanket. Works great.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
noclss2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
I used an old wool army blanket. Works great.
you're not worried about the wool blanket catching fire?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
noclss2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
^^^^^^ What he said, except be sure not to block the vents, and I think two or three bungee cords would be a better solution than any tape. You could also use some velcro strips.
Dave
you think it would be safe to cover my whole grill, or should I just do the lid as I don't have a true firebox and the charcoal sits under the grates? This is what I have:http://www.lowes.com/pd_404332-95393-MFJ576PNC_0__?productId=3878740&Ntt=master+forge+3 2&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dmaster%2Bforge%2B32&facetInfo =
I think I could cut spots out for the vents and cast iron doors, was just curious if I should do the bottom at all since I read from everyone else not to cover the firebox. I know I have a different setup from the other guys so not sure what the recommendation would be as far as that.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
squeel
Got rid of the matchlight.

I am using a product called Reflectix around my electric Brinkman. Reflectix is rated to 180 so you do not want it to be in contact with your grill. I used the handles on the Brinkman and bricks at the base to keep the material away. If your grill is larger then you could build a cpvc/metal "x" frame with 90 degree angles on the 4 ends. Then come up to a height of your grill and wrap the Reflectix around the vertical posts on the "x" frame sitting under your grill. The CPVC setup would keep the material away from your grill's surface and provide a "windbreak". You could then fashion a Reflectix cover. Of course If your grill is the size of a 1/4 acre lot then this would not be feasible. You can see my set up here:
http://www.usefulramblings.org/?page_id=4446
squeel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclss2000 View Post
So, since it's getting cold out, I started thinking about how I'm going to do any smoking during the winter. I've gotten caught with my pants down, per say, when I was trying to smoke something and it started raining, killing my temp. So I can imagine the winter cold won't be much better.
I've read a little about using a welding blanket to wrap or cut and tape together with high temp adhesive tape to make a tight cover. I've also read about using this high temp adhesive tape to put on the inside of the grill? I'm not sure how all of this will work with the setup I have. It's a master forge grill/smoker so the charcoal sits under the grates. Can I wrap the area that would I guess be considered the "firebox?" this would allow me to wrap the whole grill that would need the heat held in and not just the lid of the grill.
Years ago when I worked on the Diamond R In NE Wyoming that winter wind was worse than a Polar Bear breathing down your neck while standing barerfooted on a block of Dry Ice at the south pole on the 4th of July. All I had at the time was the ECB. I solve the howlin north wind and -35 temps by cutting the ends out of a 55 gal drum and slipping it over the ECB. worked like a Champ. However with yours it is an WSM knock off a HW heater blanket is just the ticket.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

As long as you can keep the wind off it the ambient temp doesn't make that big of a difference. I've cooked at 90F to -55F as long as I keep the wind off it or a heavy rain my UDS keep chugging along. My offset doesn't seem to care about ambient either but the rain effects it more. The BIG thing is colder air= more fuel being burned. So insulating will help with that. But I found it to be more of a pain then worth it. I used water heater wrap and some relfex bubble wrap looking stuff both caused more problems then worth IMHO.

Just my experience
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclss2000 View Post
you think it would be safe to cover my whole grill, or should I just do the lid as I don't have a true firebox and the charcoal sits under the grates? This is what I have:http://www.lowes.com/pd_404332-95393-MFJ576PNC_0__?productId=3878740&Ntt=master+forge+3 2&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dmaster%2Bforge%2B32&facetInfo =
I think I could cut spots out for the vents and cast iron doors, was just curious if I should do the bottom at all since I read from everyone else not to cover the firebox. I know I have a different setup from the other guys so not sure what the recommendation would be as far as that.
I was going to suggest lining at least 3 sides and the bottom with fire brick, but I can't see the inside,so not sure that would work. I think I would either go with some kind of wind break, or the hot water blanket. Cut each section to fit just the top, and them use metal silver tape like used on duck work to close up the seams. The brick if used can be cut with a grinder very easy if you need to fit it around things, then place some foil on the bottom for easy clean up. After saying all that I would probably just use it the way it is and toss a cheap-o welding blanket over it if need be for the wind and rain.
Dave

Old 10-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
noclss2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeel View Post
I am using a product called Reflectix around my electric Brinkman. Reflectix is rated to 180 so you do not want it to be in contact with your grill. I used the handles on the Brinkman and bricks at the base to keep the material away. If your grill is larger then you could build a cpvc/metal "x" frame with 90 degree angles on the 4 ends. Then come up to a height of your grill and wrap the Reflectix around the vertical posts on the "x" frame sitting under your grill. The CPVC setup would keep the material away from your grill's surface and provide a "windbreak". You could then fashion a Reflectix cover. Of course If your grill is the size of a 1/4 acre lot then this would not be feasible. You can see my set up here:
http://www.usefulramblings.org/?page_id=4446
Actually, this is what I ended up finding today as well. My local Lowe's didn't have the denim insulation, only the fiberglass stuff. So, thinking that I can make the reflectix work, I bought some velcro as well. My plan was to make "panels" for each side of the lid and velcro them together so I can pull it apart if need be (and in a hurry at that if that stuff somehow caught fire). The stuff is Class A /Class 1 fire rated so I thought it should be OK wrapping at least the lid directly touching the lid...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
noclss2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I was going to suggest lining at least 3 sides and the bottom with fire brick, but I can't see the inside,so not sure that would work. I think I would either go with some kind of wind break, or the hot water blanket. Cut each section to fit just the top, and them use metal silver tape like used on duck work to close up the seams. The brick if used can be cut with a grinder very easy if you need to fit it around things, then place some foil on the bottom for easy clean up. After saying all that I would probably just use it the way it is and toss a cheap-o welding blanket over it if need be for the wind and rain.
Dave
The bottom has 2 charcoal baskets that can be raised/lowered. I can also put a metal panel in between the two baskets to separate it out for indirect heat.