15 lb brisket rubbed and ready for Friday night

G

Gunpowder Mike

Hi All,

Just started smoking this spring, 7 briskets and 2 racks of ribs so far.

Tomorrow afternoon will start brisket # 8, a 15 lb'r from SRF (first try with them) in a vertical propane smoker. I use a rub that was posted on the food channel - brown sugar and paprika base.

Now that I understand more about my smoker's unique personality like having a door thermometer that reads 40 degrees too low, a wood chip box that provides blue smoke for about 1.5 hrs when the vents are set right and sealed up gaps that use to let so much smoke out that you couldn't see the smoke house itself, I am feeling really good about my chances to prodce a passable brisket. I wound up with 2 oven thermometers inside to make sure it sits at ~220. Oh yea don't necessarily trust a remote temp probe either.

Some might have given up by now but not me !! I will smoke a good brisket... I will smoke a good brisket...

GPM

I'm smoking a 16# tomorrow night as well...starting tomorrow night that is, it will smoke through the night (I hope) and we will enjoy it Saturday night. This will be my 3rd brisket and my 2nd in my UDS. My first was back before I was "enlightened" by the forum, so I don't even count that one. My last attempt as okay, but a little dry. I left it sitting in the 190s too long I think...

I'm going to put the rub on tomorrow after work and stick it in the smoker after dinner. I suppose since it will be in the smoker for so long, there is no need to put the rub on tonight...but who knows, we'll see...

Good luck Mike!

Good luck to both of you. Im doing a 10lb brisket Saturday morning. Supposed to rain here Friday night into Saturday morning. Plus that nasty 4 letter word gets in the way, work. But Im dedicated so Im doing it.

Stay with it bro.
When I first started, brisket was my weakest offering. Ribs were my forte. A couple of months ago, my meat supplier, who also has a smokehouse, was one smoked brisket shy on an order, and asked if I could spare a brisket, to help him fill the order. I did, and helped him out. Now I am smoking briskets for him.

Once you get it all dialed in, it is one of the easiest meats to be consistant with.

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)

15# Brisket came out very well !!

Thank you for the replies,

The brisket went 19 hrs at about 210 ~ 220 degrees.

I cut a notch across the grain before I rubbed and smoked so I had the proper starting point for carving. The brisket was like butter !!! I kept a good eye on the temp inside the smoke house and used a spray bottle to mop every 2 hrs or so. Oh yea, started the smoking with the brisket fat side down (2 hrs then flipped it up-right)

At 19 hrs the meat probe went in easy and read 190 so I shut down the smoke house, foil wrapped the now much smaller brisket and put it back in the insulated shipping box that it arrived in for another 2 hrs.

That did the trick.

Anyway, Along with Cornbread and Mac& Cheese the BBQ was complete.

I just made up a chili with the left over brisket.

Thanks again,

GPM

Chunk a meat for sure. Can't wait for the results. Sounds like you got it down. Pron, dude, pron!

Back