Membrane-Remove-Leave-Score

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Lately I’ve done all three. I’ve been removing baby back and Diamond scoring spares. The 1/2” score does really well- pulls nearly completely back. Your left with some nicely seasoned crunchy gnawing bits. I seldom leave it as is, but I have—but most of my cooks are small.

Last edited:
I remove unless I'm cooking over 350. Just melts away at that temp. Never scored before. Never scored ribs... ribs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It’s all in the grip:-D

I started out removing the membrane but lately leave it on and the bones just fall out with the lightest tug!

This is from the last time I tried not removing the membrane. This is the membrane from one rib after slicing.
membrane_zps1db43252.jpg

I always remove, it only takes a few seconds.
I was watching a vender turn whole spares into ST cut ribs a couple of weekends ago. He was using the tip of a chefs knife to lift the membrane, then grabbed it with a paper towel and ripped it off. I watched him do about a dozen slabs and it never took more than three seconds from when he started on the membrane. Yes, I timed him, because of it being contested here so often.

Depends on the degree of extreme lazy I feel that day. I've lately been scoring the membrane between the bones, then tossing on the cooker. I actually like stripping the leftovers off with my teeth and munching on 'em. Lots of good flavor right there with all the rub flavors and such.

I'd say maybe 50% of the times I've cooked ribs in the past 5 years, I've removed, and the other times I leave on or score between the bones. Haven't tried the crosscut thing yet.

If I'm cooking for myself I leave it and eat it, if cooking for others I pull it. Beef short ribs I will score as my experience has been if pulled the bones can fall apart.

I need to cook some beef ribs. Been a while

I used to remove. Now I buy Swifts baby backs exclusively and the membranes are allready removed.

I pull the membrane every single time. I like to pry it up with a sharp knife. Then i wiggle my thumb under the membrane to loosen it. Then I put my other thumb to wiggle it loose and then get my other fingers under the membrane and pull without paper towels. No need for paper towels. Its easier to get the membrane off in one piece.

I rip it off, or have it ripped off. Have a little SS nail tool, and use paper towel to grip.

If I'm cooking for myself I leave it and eat it, if cooking for others I pull it. Beef short ribs I will score as my experience has been if pulled the bones can fall apart.
On beef ribs i pull and then cut out the tough stuff left on the bones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back