MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
ggeilman
is One Chatty Farker

Question Help with wild pigs

A friend of my wife's calls up last night saying that they bagged a couple of wild pigs hunting, a large one of 50 lbs and a 20 lb baby. Says they are already skinned and cleaned. Can these be smoked in the Bandera or are we going to have to butcher them first? Would rather not butcher them if I don't have to. I have never cooked any wild game before so I could use some advise.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think this came up a couple of months ago if I recall correctly. I read it in passing because I'm not in a wild pig area but I seem to recall there was concern about them drying out more quickly due to a lower fat content than domestic hogs. Hopefully someone on this morning will know more...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would wrap in bacon but have not had the chance or meat to do one myself. Would love to go on a Hog Hunt.
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdbbq
I would wrap in bacon but have not had the chance or meat to do one myself. Would love to go on a Hog Hunt.
I thought that's what you went to Harry Hines for....

Old 11-23-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
ggeilman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_81
I thought that's what you went to Harry Hines for....
LOL!!!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

How are you planning on getting a whole pig into a Bandera?

If you pass that obsticle I would recommend injecting it and perhaps putting lots of whole garlic cloves into slits cut all over the pig.

Oh, and don't forget the apple for the mouth!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
ggeilman
is One Chatty Farker

At least the baby, I haven't seen them yet as to see how big they are. Don't want to forget the pineapple and the cherries, too!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

If you could fit it in to the Bandera then you would need to look at each hog. The amount of fat on the sucker will be the only factor if it will dry out. Some "wild hogs" are farm pets that escaped and went wild but most are not. The 20lb piggy I'd try to roast whole head down in the Dera. But don't use bacon, use fat-back cheaper and will last the 20 plus hours for the cook. Yes I said 20 hours, remember this is a Dera, not a 1/2" offset the fire control will be very hard, but well worth it. The 50lb dig a hole and cook it in there. Just my .02

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
Greg Kemp
Got Wood.

Default wild boar

Great forum! New guy here. Wild pigs are real lean here in Hawaii. They are a mix of Hawaiian pig brought here by polynesians thousand years ago and the Russian razor back brought by Europeans. They're not fat at all. Here's one caught on our property by poachers using illegal snaring method. I cut this guy loose.
Easier to go to Safeway for my pork.

Aloha!

Greg

http://hawaiiguava.com/communities/0...4509677706.jpg
Greg Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
Sawdustguy

If they can be butchered properly I have heard wild pig can be as tasty as normal pork.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #11
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
If they can be butchered properly I have heard wild pig can be as tasty as normal pork.
Actually, more tasty in a lot of cases. The farming and feeding methods in use today have made market pork more bland than in the past. Wild pig will still have a very porky flavor. The best spare ribs I think I ever had was off a big old wild pig we took in south Florida and butchered.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:33 AM   #12
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kemp
Great forum! New guy here. Wild pigs are real lean here in Hawaii. They are a mix of Hawaiian pig brought here by polynesians thousand years ago and the Russian razor back brought by Europeans. They're not fat at all. Here's one caught on our property by poachers using illegal snaring method. I cut this guy loose.
Easier to go to Safeway for my pork.

Aloha!

Greg

http://hawaiiguava.com/communities/0...4509677706.jpg
Welcome Greg, go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #13
ggeilman
is One Chatty Farker

I talked with one the Sgts here (I support services) and he suggested removing the backbone, legs, tenderlions if any and cutting it in quarters or sixth's. he recommended cooking it to 165.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #14
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Default Trichinellosis

Be very careful under cooking the wild pork. I do not have a problem with 150 to 160* in domestic pork but wild pork is another matter. Trichinellosis is still a real danger.

"Trichinellosis, also called trichinosis, is caused by eating raw or undercooked meat of animals infected with the larvae of a species of worm called Trichinella. Infection occurs commonly in certain wild carnivorous (meat-eating) animals but may also occur in domestic pigs."

Trichinellosis

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
ggeilman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_man22
Be very careful under cooking the wild pork. I do not have a problem with 150 to 160* in domestic pork but wild pork is another matter. Trichinellosis is still a real danger.

"Trichinellosis, also called trichinosis, is caused by eating raw or undercooked meat of animals infected with the larvae of a species of worm called Trichinella. Infection occurs commonly in certain wild carnivorous (meat-eating) animals but may also occur in domestic pigs."

Trichinellosis
Yup, which is why he said 165 per AF regs for Trichinosis.