Butts for 120 people

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm cooking pork butts for the group in the spot behind us at the American Royal. How many butts for 120 people? I'm guessing 15 should do it. If an average butt weighs about 5.5 lbs after cooking that will be .6875 (11 oz) per person.

I'll be cooking them the weekend prior, vac pack and reheating in the Backwoods day of meal. I can get 16 half pans in the Competitor at one time - running the convection I should be able to get it pretty evenly heated. Plan on adding a touch of apple juice for moisture when reheating and saucing after it's up to temp. Many of attendees wouldn't know good BBQ if it hit them in the face, so I guess that means sauce heavily but I'll leave that up to the group that I'm cooking for.

normal_comp_with_butts.jpg

I'm cooking pork butts for the group in the spot behind us at the American Royal. How many butts for 120 people? I'm guessing 15 should do it. If an average butt weighs about 5.5 lbs after cooking that will be .6875 (11 oz) per person.

I'll be cooking them the weekend prior, vac pack and reheating in the Backwoods day of meal. I can get 16 half pans in the Competitor at one time - running the convection I should be able to get it pretty evenly heated. Plan on adding a touch of apple juice for moisture when reheating and saucing after it's up to temp. Many of attendees wouldn't know good BBQ if it hit them in the face, so I guess that means sauce heavily but I'll leave that up to the group that I'm cooking for.

I get 15 as well, but my math is a little different.

I'd say the average cooked butt is more like 4 pounds. Is this their only meat? I'd plan 1/2 pound per person so 60 pounds. That's 15 butts, so do 16 to make it an even number.

I think they come 12 to a case. Since they come 2 to a package, cook 16 to give you a little extra. If you buy a case, Sam's sell you two more cryos for case price if you ask.

Many of attendees wouldn't know good BBQ if it hit them in the face, so I guess that means sauce heavily but I'll leave that up to the group that I'm cooking for.

:redface: I just reread this and I hope it's not taken out of context. I'm not claiming my pork is all that, but it's not bad either :wink:. It was meant more as the majority of the crowd that will be eating this pork considers the sauce the BBQ part, the meat is just kinda there to fill ya up.

Is this their only meat?

I believe they are cooking chicken wings that afternoon, at least they have in years prior.

On butts you'll get about a 55% yield. A 10lb butt will yeid 5.5lbs for example. Just divide the yield by the serving size and you have it. I'd do a couple of extra's just to be on the safe side.

:redface: "I just reread this and I hope it's not taken out of context. I'm not claiming my pork is all that, but it's not bad either :wink:. It was meant more as the majority of the crowd that will be eating this pork considers the sauce the BBQ part, the meat is just kinda there to fill ya up."

Most everyone on this forum recognizes that the general public doesn't really understand what BBQ is. They think that burgers and hot dogs are BBQ. We know better, and are trying to educate the public during opportunities like this catering job you're doing.
You're preaching to the choir, brother.:grin:

On butts you'll get about a 55% yield. A 10lb butt will yeid 5.5lbs for example. Just divide the yield by the serving size and you have it. I'd do a couple of extra's just to be on the safe side.

That's what we figure as well, 55%... but who gets 10lb butts regularly? :cool: I only wish!

I recently smoked 12 butts and got 53% yield, which seems in line with what everyone else is reporting. Is there any truth that placing the butts with fat side down results in higher yields? I recall seeing someone reporting closer to 60% yield this way.

normal_comp_with_butts.jpg

A half pound per person is more than enough you will find you have leftovers. I vac and reheat daily vending and it comes out great don't be concerned. Love doing butts in convection did two cases today started at 7 finished at 3:30 vaced and in fridge by 5:30.

I get 15 as well, but my math is a little different.

I'd say the average cooked butt is more like 4 pounds. Is this their only meat? I'd plan 1/2 pound per person so 60 pounds. That's 15 butts, so do 16 to make it an even number.

I think they come 12 to a case. Since they come 2 to a package, cook 16 to give you a little extra. If you buy a case, Sam's sell you two more cryos for case price if you ask.

I didn't know sam's will do that if you ask, thanks for the tip

A half pound per person is more than enough you will find you have leftovers.

They ran out last year, but I'm trying to find out exactly how much they cooked last year. I'm lead to believe close to 15 butts.

Back