June SPECIAL "Beefsteak!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) Lasts All Month!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New June Special Throwdown Category is...

"Beefsteak"

IMG_20150718_175302849_HDR1.jpg

This was mike-cleveland's entry in the 2015 "Steak" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Cook beefsteak!

2. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED and encouraged for this TD only!

3. Standard Throwdown rules apply.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/31 through
the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/1/19.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/1/19.

Click here to READ THE RULES BEFORE entering the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Last edited:
Is there a rule regarding garnishes? asking for a friend.....

I'm wondering if we'll get some actual entries in this Throwdown at some point...

:mrgreen:

This is my entry..

I was given these strip steaks the other day.. Chef at work was cutting them for the owners from the full strip. I couldn't stop drooling.. He cut these two and gave them to me, said "They don't like the vein cuts. Here ya go" I guess I'll suffer through...

Waygu from New Mexico, Pure japanese bloodlines they say. I gotta say, they look pretty legit.

ZYNibbth.jpg

Anyways.. Knowing how rich this stuff is, I cut the top one in half and lightly seasoned it in QSalt.

I fired up half the WGA with a chunk of cherry. Put my little chunk of joy on the opposite side. I let it warm up and get some smoke for about 10 minutes. IT when I checked it was about 60 degrees.

BvLEYMMh.jpg

Moved it over to the hot side for a sear. I probably flipped it every 30 seconds or so, was probably over the heat for 2-3 minutes tops. You really don't want to overcook this stuff.

gqXMEOxh.jpg

Let it rest for 10 minutes and cut it thin -
h6OKxGUh.jpg

Use this one for the entry
ck3vnxWh.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, after an entry like that, what more is left to say?

Last edited:
Looks like the pressure is on now.... I have one entry and it's a good thing multiple entries are encouraged.... if I have enough courage to enter a second one that is. :biggrin1: But you know what they say.... even a horse that comes in last still crosses the finish line.

My 1st official entry in the Beefsteak Throwdown is this Sirloin steak

C0WupaU.jpg

The link to my cooks thread in Q-Talk is HERE.

What is the history behind this kettle? I recognize the ash catcher as one from the 60's, but I don't recognize that style of side handle.

It's a key lime 18.5" that dates from about 1976. That's what the metal bowl handles look like on an 18.5. Cheers!

Back