MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default Splits and wood chunks

For those that have a stick burner and a charcoal cooker, do you have separate piles of splits and chunks or do you cut your chunks from the splits?

Old 08-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I have a Rubbermaid tub of chunks of cherry cut from a load of sticks. When the bucket gets low I refill.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
mrpigs
Full Fledged Farker

I cut and split all the wood for my over and under, use the small scraps from that for when I use the kettle for smoking

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Flatbroke
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Flatbroke

I save some of the bark that fell off when I split the wood and use it. Sometimes if I am out of bark I have sawzalled a couple chunks off a split and issued them.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

I was thinking of buying a miter saw to cut chunks, but mostly because I think I would use it more for secondary purposes like cutting angle iron. Also Franklin's intro on his vid had him doing it too

I'm currently working my way through my original stash of wood chunks that I had a wood guy cut for me. They were pricey and drying fast in the summer heat.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

I cut some of my splits down and chunk them up myself , I hate buying chunks at the store because they are kiln dried and takes the flavor out .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

I heat my house with wood, so whenever I come across an oddball sized/shaped piece of wood that doesn't fit well in my firewood stack, I set it aside for smoking wood. Usually these end up being classified as large chunks. Back when I was using my COS a lot, I burned those large chunks instead of sticks. It tended to have issues with runaway temps, so the large chunks worked better than sticks for keeping the fire under control. Now that I mostly use a WSM, I split them down into smaller chunks. I keep a pile of the larger chunks off to the side of my firewood stack, and a stash of smaller chunks in a cardboard box in the garage.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I was thinking of buying a miter saw to cut chunks, but mostly because I think I would use it more for secondary purposes like cutting angle iron. Also Franklin's intro on his vid had him doing it too

I'm currently working my way through my original stash of wood chunks that I had a wood guy cut for me. They were pricey and drying fast in the summer heat.
You could try pawn shops, Craigs list, or garage sales for a power miter saw. You just might stumble on to a really good deal.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'm still using the truck bed full of pecan i bought 3 years ago. Only cost $40 but in sure that guy has figured out that he can get a lot more money now. He said it was mostly limbs that he couldn't sell... I'll be cutting my own soon from my splits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I'm still using the truck bed full of pecan i bought 3 years ago. Only cost $40 but in sure that guy has figured out that he can get a lot more money now. He said it was mostly limbs that he couldn't sell... I'll be cutting my own soon from my splits.

Three years ago? And the limbs are not dried out? The splits I left behind on my Bandera trailer shows anywhere from 2-5% moisture compared to 25-35% on the oak I just got two weeks ago. The one on the trailer was from last year and sat in the farking Texas heat all of this year.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
pjtexas1

Quote:
Three years ago? And the limbs are not dried out? The splits I left behind on my Bandera trailer shows anywhere from 2-5% moisture compared to 25-35% on the oak I just got two weeks ago. The one on the trailer was from last year and sat in the farking Texas heat all of this year.
I Keep them in trash bags. Are you measuring inside after you split?

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Old 08-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I Keep them in trash bags. Are you measuring inside after you split?

Just the ends where it's mostly flat.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #13
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I cut chunks from splits. They are cheaper than the bagged stuff.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #14
pjtexas1

Quote:
Just the ends where it's mostly flat.
I thought you were supposed to split a stick and measure the inside? I would think the outside would give a false reading.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #15
pjtexas1

Just split a couple chunks, 4-7%. They are bigger than i need but don't split them until i need them.

Split some regular splits, .0% outside, 12-14% inside.