Competition Payouts

WineMaster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
What do most of you see and like at comps for payouts. If its a 10k purse what is the best way to pay. Top 5 in each category and top 5 overall?
What are your thoughts.

Dan

^^^^^I'm with them. Payout top 10 in each category.. Typical, I only see top 2 in the overall paid out but it would be nice to pay out top 5. It's also nice to get a free entry for the next year as a payout in the overall.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
^^^^^I'm with them. Payout top 10 in each category.. Typical, I only see top 2 in the overall paid out but it would be nice to pay out top 5. It's also nice to get a free entry for the next year as a payout in the overall.

Of course it "all depends" on purse size, teams, etc , but:

I like paying 10 in each category. (Being realistic, this is not a ton of dough for these places, but sometimes, especially for newer teams, any payout will provide encouragement.)

I ALSO like paying top 5 overall. I never understood why the 5th place chicken cook gets a check but the third place overall doesn't. (And I realize you had some walks to get third overall, but on degree of difficulty a 3rd overall is harder than a single category 5th.)

If not paying 3rd overall (or 4th or 5th) then next years entry (transferrable) is a nice touch. Rewarding the 'bubble boys'.

Like top 10 but at least announce 6-10 if not awarded something.

Maybe something similar to this:

GC-1600
RGC-800
3rd-300
4th-free entry next year

1-500
2-300
3-200
4-150
5-100
6-75
7-50
8-35
9-25
10-25

I saw a contest last year try to pay too deep and it seemed crazy to me.

They initially were going to give the CG & RGC ...ZERO!

But thought giving 10th place in each catagory $25...WTF?

I don't care for the "everyones a winner here today" attitude.

My 2¢

My 2¢ would have added up to an extra $285 one weekend this summer when we did two comps in one weekend. We got 6 out of 8 calls, but all between 6th-9th. And given the fields, it was hard to complain.

Last edited:
I like a deeper payment schedule. Don't pay much attention to the total prize purse as long as we'll get our costs covered with a couple top 5 calls.

Case in point. Jennies Got Wood placed 6th in Ribs, Pork and Brisket and ended up 3rd over in Excelsior Springs,Mo. last year. They paid down to the top 5 and top 2 for overall. They did get ribbons for 6th place but no money at all for a job well done.

As long as I get my damn money I don't care...I like the top 10 payouts. At least a name mention.

payout to the top 5 and ribbon/trophy to ten...i dont need a $25 check for 10th place...rather have the ribbon

Case in point. Jennies Got Wood placed 6th in Ribs, Pork and Brisket and ended up 3rd over in Excelsior Springs,Mo. last year. They paid down to the top 5 and top 2 for overall. They did get ribbons for 6th place but no money at all for a job well done.

Goodness, this proves my point exactly. With a comp that big, not paying to 10 seems crazy. Or at least top 5 overall. Isn't it harder to get top 5 overall than top 5 in a category?

The upcoming contest in Lake Havasu originally was paying through 5. When the team count jumped to ~75 (well above expectations IMO) they added nominal payments to 6-10. Good move.

In the case of our contest, we have 30 teams since that's all the room we have at our venue. We will pay the top 5 in each category, plus top 5 overall. We're using category sponsors to boost the purses. Each place in the overall pays approx 3x of each category. GC will get $1,500 and 1st Place in each category gets $500. Ribbons for 6-10. I did not get any negative comments about this from the teams last year.

To clarify, we used a similar structure with less money last year. Sponsors are more willing to give us money now that we have a track record.

What do most of you see and like at comps for payouts. If its a 10k purse what is the best way to pay. Top 5 in each category and top 5 overall?
What are your thoughts.

Dan

Hopefully you have some pull with the Rochester PAL Dan:-D (I didn't even know KCBS would allow only paying 3 in each category).

For my $.02 I prefer paying top 10 in categories

In the case of our contest, we have 30 teams since that's all the room we have at our venue. We will pay the top 5 in each category, plus top 5 overall. We're using category sponsors to boost the purses. Each place in the overall pays approx 3x of each category. GC will get $1,500 and 1st Place in each category gets $500. Ribbons for 6-10. I did not get any negative comments about this from the teams last year.

At a small 30 team comp, I think that's OK if the total purse won't allow for payment to top 10, I was thinking comps with more teams. Often the difference in points between 5 and 10th place isn't much when you start getting more teams.

What is the overall purse and payout schedule for your comp? We have it on our list.

Last edited:
Back