• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ground beef steak

mattkins99

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Due to some poor labeling at the store I got what appear to be several small but very nicely marbled steaks for very cheap. Problem is, I hardly ever eat steak except at restaurants. Any suggestions on how to prepare these? I have Alton Browns episodes on how to cook steaks seared into my brain (pun intended,) but I'm more thinking a seasoning. Something a little more than just salt and pepper. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Steak.jpg
    Steak.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 158
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Montreal-Steak-Seasoning-29-Ounce/dp/B001EQ56Y4"]McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning, 29-Ounce Units (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

as for me i do like olive oil salt and pepper . But it has to be fresh ground .

And by the way don't over cook it . If it ain't red it's dead. Feed it to the dogs

Sometimes I grill my steaks with out any type of rub whatsoever. If you want a bit of salt and pepper after they have rested then it is up to the consumer of that steak.
I love the taste of beef alone myself.

I use a basic rub. It works great, those sort of look like culotte steaks, aka tri-tip steaks.

Basic Meat Rub
three parts Kosher salt and medium grind black pepper
1/2 part granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika, chile powder
pinch of sugar

Mix all together and apply to steak. Grill. If you want to get a little fancy, omit the garlic and onion granules. Make a slurry of garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce and some parsley, add the rub and slather it all over the steaks. Then grill.

And by the way don't over cook it . If it ain't red it's dead. Feed it to the dogs

lol, yes, mine will be a nice medium rare. The wife on the other hand is fond of ordering the filet butterflied when we eat out at a steak house...:crazy:

I use a basic rub. It works great, those sort of look like culotte steaks, aka tri-tip steaks.

Basic Meat Rub
three parts Kosher salt and medium grind black pepper
1/2 part granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika, chile powder
pinch of sugar

Mix all together and apply to steak. Grill. If you want to get a little fancy, omit the garlic and onion granules. Make a slurry of garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce and some parsley, add the rub and slather it all over the steaks. Then grill.

Winner, I have all of that in my pantry so that's what I'm going with. I love Worcestershire too :)

I rarely season steaks with anything, normally its on the grill with nothing on it. Tasty.

Let us know haw it turns out for ya.

KC

No pron pics as my phone's battery went dead last night. :sad:

So two things. First, I'd purchased a rib-eye as a just in case steak and cooked it along with the two in the package above. I didn't notice any difference in flavor between the cuts, but the unknown cuts were more tender than the rib-eye. The rib-eye wasn't tough, but the little unknown steaks were like a filet in their tenderness.

From a rub perspective, I'm an idiot. I made the paste, smashed it on the steaks and then topped with freshly ground black pepper and Kosher salt, but I forgot the paprika and chili powder until they were half done on the grill. I was trying to time it with the rest of the dinner and I'm just not used to fast cooking :blah: Anyway, good, but I could have used more salt and the chili-powder would have added some nice heat. All my fault... live and learn.

After letting the steaks rest mine was medium and I was shooting for medium rare. Still very good. I got my wife's steak to a perfect for her well done. Both were very juicy and I'd buy these again in a second!

They lookabout an inch thick Try putting 1/2 tsp kosher salt on each side and let them sit for an hour. Rince well and pat gry Add a little oil toeach side with fresk cracked pepper Grill and enjoy

Back