MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pork shoulder help

Do u cook it with the fat Side down or up?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

I always cook mine fat side up.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Usually I trim the whole thing. Plenty of fat marbled in the meat already. So I just toss it in however it ends up.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

cool thanks guys One more question when you do injection should there be alot of the juice in the pan?
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

It shouldnt all be leaking out when you're injecting it. 95%+ of it should stay inside the meat if you're injecting it correctly.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook it fat side toward the heat source. This allows the rub to be undisturbed and protects the hot side from being charred. There is more than enough fat and connective tissue inside the meat to provide moisture.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Ok you sound new to this. This is how I do it. Many others will add to this post I'm sure. I dry rub fat or skin side down and put in a disposable pan. Smoke won't go thru the skin anyways. Throw on the smoker and no I don't even look at the smoker temp. these things are so forgiving. Smoke till 160-170 degrees internal then I add about 1/3 cup of grape juice (yes grape) it adds a terrific color to the juices and a bit of flavor. Then I wrap the whole pan in foil and bring the internal temp of the meat to 197 or until the bone pulls out clean. Pull from the smoker drain and save juices, let rest tented in foil but not covered tight till it cools enough to pull. I take the juices and put in the fridge till the fat floats to the top and remove and discard the fat or grease. After I pull the meat I add more dry rub (because the meat inside sees very little) and seasonings along with some but not all the juices. Why waste flavor. Then enjoy. Works for me.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

Fat side down.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
Usually I trim the whole thing. Plenty of fat marbled in the meat already. So I just toss it in however it ends up.
I trim it, too. That fat just gets cut off at the end, anyway, and smoke flavor gets thrown away with it. If you trim the fat off before cooking, more meat surface is exposed to smoke.

Keep in mind, the smoke will only penetrate the first half-inch or so. When you pull the pork, and mix it up, that outer meat provides all the smoke flavor for your pulled pork. So trim that extra fat, and let the smoke get to that extra meat surface. There is plenty of fat inside the roast to keep the meat moist.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
landarc

I do a poor job of trimming the fat cap, I like a little bit of fat left on there. But, not a whole lot more than 1/8" or so. And I go fat cap down towards the heat in my UDS

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I like to trim down to 1/4-1/8 inch and then score the fat with a sharp knife before rubbing. I put on fat cap up, but don't have any real reason for doing it that way.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote