MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #46
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
BTW Merl was in the room and I'm pretty sure Linda was as well. They're both friends and I understand if they don't want to comment on what happened, but they both know the truth.
Ray,

No denying. I thought your book deal was great for KCBS. It was a shock when Paul brought his deal to the table. Enough said. Hope to see you in January.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #47
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Linda.
I'm staying home this year. I've just been kicked in the nuts too many times to care anymore.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #48
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Thanks Linda.
I'm staying home this year. I've just been kicked in the nuts too many times to care anymore.
Look I don't chime in much on the KCBS because I decided not to renew my membership. If this election goes a little better I will consider rejoining.

But Ray's comment is systematic of a bad situation. No one who is a member of a an organization, especially one like the KCBS should ever be made to feel they were kicked in the nuts.

This comment isn't directed towards anyone board member but more towards the whole organizations governing methods and processes. I've seen this time and time again when the member of leadership begin to think they know more than the membership and care more about themselves than the membership.

Please do not think I'm pointing fingers at individuals because I'm not. I don't know enough about the situation to do that. I've been involved in youth organizations for years. And I know when the board members forget that "it's about the kids" things get messed up.

In this case it appears, from where I'm sitting, the Board has forgotten that it's "about the BBQuers."

Okay...I'm going back into hiding. I really want a change so I feel like my money isn't wasted when I pay my dues. But then again I can get a Restauarant Depot memberhship now...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #49
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
As a heads up, I emailed Paul two days ago regarding the election and his reporting as a committee head. I haven't heard back. I'm not going to read too much into that due to the holidays. I'll post his response if I get it.

Eric
Read into it what you will. Paul wants to be re-elected so why not be available? This is just as much the election season as it is the holiday season for nine of us. All my emails come to my phone so I know within minutes that I have them and can respond. Why not Paul?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #50
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Look I don't chime in much on the KCBS because I decided not to renew my membership. If this election goes a little better I will consider rejoining.

But Ray's comment is systematic of a bad situation. No one who is a member of a an organization, especially one like the KCBS should ever be made to feel they were kicked in the nuts.

This comment isn't directed towards anyone board member but more towards the whole organizations governing methods and processes. I've seen this time and time again when the member of leadership begin to think they know more than the membership and care more about themselves than the membership.

Please do not think I'm pointing fingers at individuals because I'm not. I don't know enough about the situation to do that. I've been involved in youth organizations for years. And I know when the board members forget that "it's about the kids" things get messed up.

In this case it appears, from where I'm sitting, the Board has forgotten that it's "about the BBQuers."

Okay...I'm going back into hiding. I really want a change so I feel like my money isn't wasted when I pay my dues. But then again I can get a Restauarant Depot memberhship now...
Well said, Larry.

I just want a KCBS that is less like a soap opera, and more of an organization of people promoting the art of BBQ. And not the promotion of ONE guys BBQ.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #51
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

The only reason i rejoined is for the restaraunt depot membership.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #52
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
The only reason i rejoined is for the restaraunt depot membership.
Heck bud... I can get you a card on my membership.. :)

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 AM   #53
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post

I just want a KCBS that is less like a soap opera, and more of an organization of people promoting the art of BBQ. And not the promotion of ONE guys BBQ.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:03 AM   #54
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqchef33 View Post

amen
22" WSM
Backwoods Chubby

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #55
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
January 2008 I was cooking here in Lakeland and I approached Carolyn about writing a new KCBS Cookbook together. I told her I'd gather the recipes and write the book if she'd be responsible for the "History of KCBS". I told her I'd just completed The NFL Gameday Cookbook and thought we were in great position to get a good book deal, but I wanted her to like the idea or I wouldn't bother pursuing it. She said she did like the idea and wanted to pursue it. So I was going to be in KC for the banquet a couple weeks later and would attend the board meeting to present the idea. I was put on the agenda by Carolyn and I went to the meeting in a conference room at some hotel and presented my idea.

As the board was discussing it Paul Kirk spoke up that the board didn't know it but he and the other people involved in the first KCBS Cookbook had already been working on a new KCBS Cookbook, but that work had stopped when Gary Wells got sick. (Gary had been deceased for a while at this time). My presentation continued with a little Q&A and we all left on good terms. After a couple weeks I hadn't heard anything so I called Carolyn and she told me that she was just too busy to do the project but maybe we could revisit it at a later date. Next I heard there was a new KCBS Cookbook deal and Carolyn, Ardie Davis, and Paul Kirk were doing it.

Coincidence? You decide but my arse was very sore. Please remember this story when the new KCBS Cookbook gets here and if you have a copy of my NFL book compare the two.

Mods, I can vouch for all of this first hand.
Unbelievable. How, in Cliff's name, did the KCBS BoD manage to let this deal slip through their fingers? Not knocking the guy, and I have 2 of his books, but how in the world would anyone think a book authored by Paul Kirk could get the audience that Dr. BBQ can get? This is criminal - and I know I'm prone to hyperbole and BS - but I mean this is bad, if true. And from Linda's remarks, it looks like it is. Crying @$$ shame!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #56
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

There is more
But I will not share third hand info
That I can not verify

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #57
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

this is why my wife is a member(membership came with cbj class) and i am not. i don't play stupid games

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote