MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #31
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

JD, I agree with you on Paul. I am sure he is a top notch guy and without a doubt he is a great ambassador for barbeque but that doesn't make him a great director. Doesn't mean he can lead. If you are good at being an ambassador for barbeque, do that as your contribution and let someone else serve as a director.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #32
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I dont see what his record of no report has anything to do with his actions as a board member? As far as I can tell its just a special comittee, if anything just have him removed from that duty. His actions and voting on matters of the board is what counts. Also his knowledge and experience make him a great asset to the KCBS BOD
Sled brings up a fair point.. While he may not do much as far as the committee goes (not sure if committee chair is a required job function or not), his voting record counts equally to the others. Most have little insight to his participation (or lack thereof) during discussions so it's hard to see the other side some are aware of, aside from the lack of committee reports.

Candy Sue noted that most members are judges and vote for names they are familiar with. I believe that. Judges have less at stake based on BOD objectives to get too involved in politics. Most judges are members because they just like BBQ and the hobby. Increasing membership is good only if you are willing to support the majority of the membership first... otherwise there's little in it for them to care who is running beyond who they are familiar with.. Maybe Paul represents the the avg. member and if cross representation is desired that might not be a bad thing.. KCBS is a sanctioning body for contests and teams are critical, but it should be more than that per the mission statement... I just don't see that today. It's too competition-centric. Nothing wrong with it, but trying to be a big contest org making $$$$ and trying to remain true to roots and retain culture are hard to do simulateously.. KCBS needs to figure out what it wants to be.

Thom - Can you expand on the profiting on his position ? Does this have to do with his BBQ classes ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 12-28-2009 at 09:22 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #33
Jeff_in_KC

Vinny, yes, being a chair of an assigned committee is required of all directors. It is without a doubt vital work, without which we get no new ideas to develop and if not utilized to its potential, it cuts out involvement from the membership because the committee is made up of members the director selects to join his or her committee.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #34
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I dont see what his record of no report has anything to do with his actions as a board member? As far as I can tell its just a special comittee, if anything just have him removed from that duty. His actions and voting on matters of the board is what counts. Also his knowledge and experience make him a great asset to the KCBS BOD
This is going to start sounding like I have something against Paul Kirk, which is unfortunate because I don't. I've never met the man and wouldn't know him if I bumped into him on the street.

I agree that his voting record is important. I would suggest that anyone who is planning to vote should see if his record is in accord with your priorities.

His actions, however, are a mystery to me. I would assume that his largest responsibility when it comes to 'actions' would be to lead the education committee and foster its growth and effectiveness. I would also assume that we can use his actions (or inaction) there as an indicator for success taking action elsewhere.

I sent him an email asking about his committee report record. I'll post his reply if I receive one.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #35
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
JD, I agree with you on Paul. I am sure he is a top notch guy and without a doubt he is a great ambassador for barbeque but that doesn't make him a great director. Doesn't mean he can lead. If you are good at being an ambassador for barbeque, do that as your contribution and let someone else serve as a director.
Well said Jeff. I do not know personally what Paul has or has not done...only input I get is here-say and what I read on the forums. I want to vote for the right person that will keep moving our sport/hobby forward in the best light possible. From all indications I believe that person is you...you have my vote sir.

We have a similar situation here with the PNWBA...there are a few positions open and I have voted for the people that I believe will actually DO something other than complain about it...and if they don't I'll vote against them or perhaps RUN against them next time. Talk is cheap!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #36
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Vinny, yes, being a chair of an assigned committee is required of all directors. It is without a doubt vital work, without which we get no new ideas to develop and if not utilized to its potential, it cuts out involvement from the membership because the committee is made up of members the director selects to join his or her committee.
In the case of the eduction committee I believe it's important to support our non-profit status. I'm sure someone here knows Paul well enough to ask him to join us and respond. Seems only fair if there's going to be a whole thread about him. I'd really like to know who else is on his committee and what they've done this year.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #37
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
In the case of the eduction committee I believe it's important to support our non-profit status. I'm sure someone here knows Paul well enough to ask him to join us and respond. Seems only fair if there's going to be a whole thread about him. I'd really like to know who else is on his committee and what they've done this year.
Good points Ray. Unfortunately, I don't believe that I have ever seen Paul on this board. Would love to have him join us here for some discussion. There are always at least 2 sides to every story so I would like to hear his side. Otherwise we are just talking behind his back and that is not a good deal and not what this forum is all about.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #38
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Thom - Can you expand on the profiting on his position ?
Does this have to do with his BBQ classes ?

Not the classes

The revised KCBS Cookbook

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #39
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

January 2008 I was cooking here in Lakeland and I approached Carolyn about writing a new KCBS Cookbook together. I told her I'd gather the recipes and write the book if she'd be responsible for the "History of KCBS". I told her I'd just completed The NFL Gameday Cookbook and thought we were in great position to get a good book deal, but I wanted her to like the idea or I wouldn't bother pursuing it. She said she did like the idea and wanted to pursue it. So I was going to be in KC for the banquet a couple weeks later and would attend the board meeting to present the idea. I was put on the agenda by Carolyn and I went to the meeting in a conference room at some hotel and presented my idea.

As the board was discussing it Paul Kirk spoke up that the board didn't know it but he and the other people involved in the first KCBS Cookbook had already been working on a new KCBS Cookbook, but that work had stopped when Gary Wells got sick. (Gary had been deceased for a while at this time). My presentation continued with a little Q&A and we all left on good terms. After a couple weeks I hadn't heard anything so I called Carolyn and she told me that she was just too busy to do the project but maybe we could revisit it at a later date. Next I heard there was a new KCBS Cookbook deal and Carolyn, Ardie Davis, and Paul Kirk were doing it.

Coincidence? You decide but my arse was very sore. Please remember this story when the new KCBS Cookbook gets here and if you have a copy of my NFL book compare the two.

Mods, I can vouch for all of this first hand.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #40
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Bingo

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #41
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

BTW Merl was in the room and I'm pretty sure Linda was as well. They're both friends and I understand if they don't want to comment on what happened, but they both know the truth.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #42
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
BTW Merl was in the room and I'm pretty sure Linda was as well. They're both friends and I understand if they don't want to comment on what happened, but they both know the truth.
This was the same board meeting where the now infamous "BOD Nepotism" policy first was presented.

Myself, KC Bobby, Roo, and Bride of Roo were all in attendance at that meeting.

Ray's presentation was more of a "giving back" to KCBS. Other than expenses, I don't recall him wanting to make any real money off of this.

For anyone who has uttered the phrase "good ol' boys" in reference to the KCBS BOD... remember Ray's story.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #43
Plowboy

Does anyone know Paul's affiliation to the CATS program which seems to be his only education project?

<Rumor Alert> I had heard that there was a personal or even family relationship in there. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but would like to know.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #44
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I requested half of the advance and suggested Carolyn get the other half with KCBS getting any royalties after the advance was earned out. I learned that night that there had been a substantial sum recently paid to someone to gather the history of KCBS info and that was requested to be paid back first and I think we all agreed on that because we could have used the info.
It would have been a decent payday for me but I would have done way more than my share of the work. It would have been an excellent deal for everyone involved and my agent was chomping at the bit to take the proposal to the open market.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #45
motoeric
Babbling Farker

As a heads up, I emailed Paul two days ago regarding the election and his reporting as a committee head. I haven't heard back. I'm not going to read too much into that due to the holidays. I'll post his response if I get it.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote