Just started cooking with a uds myslef. Problem I had was I started out with toooo many lit coals on top of my basket. How many did you use?? Doesn't take many, in fact my second burn(with fatty) I only lit about 6 briqs. First time I lit about 10 or 12!!!! way too many in my case. Take a look at my setup:

DSCF5296.jpg

Good luck,

Paul B

hahha yea the first time out I got went a little trigger happy and lit quite a few with my torch. Probably lit 15 or so. I let it die out and tried again. This time I only lit 6..yes I counted them..:icon_clown I lit them in my chimney and put them in on top with the ball valve wide open. Keep in mind mine is a 1" valve compared to a 1/2" so it should have PLENTY of air going through it. The thing would not come up to temp at all. Thats why Im thinking it may be my basket. The only other thing could be the charcoal itself. I have it stored in my carport. Its out of the weather but I recall reading somewhere about it sucking up moisture. Its still in the bag but its been out there little over a month. Walmart stores theres outside in the lawn and garden area so I dont see where it would be any diff than my carport. Im gonna try 1) my spare charcoal basket 2) some new charcoal 3) combination of those two. Im sure its one of those. Its not like there is a lot of things to be problem with a barrel. 8)

EDIT..ill check your pic out when I get home, my work computer is a pos and I can not see pics.

She's all done!

Came in at about $90. Which includes the $40 I spent for the Brand new in Box Kingsford Kettle of Craigslist.

16 gauge open top unlined, cleaned and seasoned Veg. Oil and a fatty.
Zinc Bolts burned clean with Propane Torch ( I know, I know) At least I burned all the Zinc off.

Parts robbed from the Kingsford Kettle include: top (which includes HOOK!)
Cooking grate and coal grate. 12 inches of expanded metal wrapped around that and 2.5 inch feet welded onto the grate. No ash tray yet. Just using aluminum foil in the bottom.
Kettle top only fit on the bottom of the drum. The top was 1/2 inch wider than the bottom. Works out better being able to remove the bottom.

All other measurements were taken from Norco's redneck UDS Thread.Thx Norco!

3 each 3/4 inch nipples. 2 capped and 1 ball valve.
Feet are made from square tubing cut at a 45. 4 each, very stable

First Cook.
9 Pounds Of Coal
Started with a Propane Torch
All caps removed and Valve open
Reached 350 rather quickly
Capped 2 and valve full open
At 225 degrees within 30 minutes
Held 225 Apprx. from 2000-0730 11.5 hours :icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

Only pulled fatty off and choked to go to work.
Burned apprx. 2/3rds of my coal. That equals to about 5-6 pounds to hold 225 for 11.5 hours.

Ops/Check good as we say in the the biz! Now for the Butt:icon_cool:icon_cool

I haven't got my side mount therm. yet , so I used the Meat remote therm dropped down the exhaust just below the grate.
3995692950_3c558edcb4.jpg

Here is the Storm it weathered and kept on trucking
3994932609_2b57436370.jpg

3995019863_2a5da56cc8.jpg

3995693348_85b7267daf.jpg

How many did you use??
DSCF5296.jpg

Good luck,
Paul B

I just dumped Approx., 9 pounds ( just guessed by pouring half the bag of a 18 pounder) Lit with the Propane torch in the drum. Let her get to temp then choked it down. I dont think coal lighting is that critical. I think air control would be you culprit. Which may include your basket.

Can you get a shot of the hook in the lid? I picked up one of those lids and it didn't have a hook :/

Can you get a shot of the hook in the lid? I picked up one of those lids and it didn't have a hook :/

From MAsterbuilts website, I highlighted the hook. I didn't catch it at first , my Buddy who had more to drink than I figured it out. :icon_shy

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 908
I just dumped Approx., 9 pounds ( just guessed by pouring half the bag of a 18 pounder) Lit with the Propane torch in the drum. Let her get to temp then choked it down. I dont think coal lighting is that critical. I think air control would be you culprit. Which may include your basket.

" I dont think coal lighting is that critical"

In my case it was. On my second attempt(I threw a fatty on) I lit way fewer coals and I caught the temps on the way up and held around 225* or so throughout the fatty cook. My first attempt just to season I lit about 10 to 15 coals and by the time I lowered the basket in the drum and put the first grate on I could barely keep my hands in the drum!!!! By the time I got the lid on my temps were way past 350*!!! I is harder to bring the temp down than it is to control it on the way up and hold.

Just MY experience........others may vary

Paul B

Finally Finished!!!!

A couple of months in the making and I finally finished. Next build I buy everything at 1 shot instead of multiple trips to HD, Lowes, and Local hardware stores. Heres a couple pics of the drum during the seasoning burn. THANKS to all who helped along the way. I've been reading this thread and watched Norcos videos and pics a lot and will continue to. For now I have to get temps and timing down.

downsized_1009091213.jpg

downsized_1009091217.jpg

downsized_1009091217a.jpg

A couple of months in the making and I finally finished. Next build I buy everything at 1 shot instead of multiple trips to HD, Lowes, and Local hardware stores. Heres a couple pics of the drum during the seasoning burn. THANKS to all who helped along the way. I've been reading this thread and watched Norcos videos and pics a lot and will continue to. For now I have to get temps and timing down.

Congrats! Drum looks good, but thats an Ugleeee basket!

From MAsterbuilts website, I highlighted the hook. I didn't catch it at first , my Buddy who had more to drink than I figured it out. :icon_shy
Masterbuilt sucks hard. When I ordered the lid from them, they sent it without the handle and vent so I had to place a second order (where the shipping was equal to the damn parts cost) to get them. I'll be damned if they're getting any more money for stuff that should have come with the first shipment.

Masterbuilt sucks hard. When I ordered the lid from them, they sent it without the handle and vent so I had to place a second order (where the shipping was equal to the damn parts cost) to get them. I'll be damned if they're getting any more money for stuff that should have come with the first shipment.

crap. i ordered 2 lids from them last week without knowing that...

Heres the whole kit and kaboodle for $40. Its still Brand new in the Box. If you ask nicely the guy may ship to you. This is how I got mine.
http://redding.craigslist.org/for/1410001322.html

Sorry, I didn't realize they were building a MINI UDS.
Kingsfordbox.jpg

If you order a lid from Weber, you will ALSO need to order a handle.
If you order a lid from Char-Broil, you will ALSO need to order a handle.
If you order a lid from Uniflame, you will ALSO need to order a handle.
If you order a PART for anything, you will ALSO need to order any other part you may need.
OR
When you get yours, do a Google search for LID STRETCHER.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I didn't realize they were building a MINI UDS.
Kingsfordbox.jpg

If you order a lid from Weber, you will ALSO need to order a handle.
If you order a lid from Char-Broil, you will ALSO need to order a handle.
If you order a lid from Uniflame, you will ALSO need to order a handle.
If you order a PART for anything, you will ALSO need to order any other part you may need.
OR
When you get yours, do a Google search for LID STRETCHER.

AWW, I see what you did there:cool::cool:

I just wanted to say that coal lighting is extremely important to how the burn goes and is the first step to proper temperature control.

If you light from the bottom, you will have out of control temps because your whole basket will be on fire. If you leave a stovepipe in the middle, then pour the lit coals in it to the bottom, it will do the same thing. You want only part of the coals burning at any one time during the cook. It will take about an hour for the little bit of coals you start on top to get enough of the coals around them burning to get the drum up to temp. Then when you choke the air back, it slows the rate at which more coals catch up. That is how you get the extended burn times, and the lower temperature.

What you want to do is just get about 15 briquettes white hot, then pour them right on the top of your coal basket. Keep them together, not spread all over the top. I usually put them right in the center.

This way, the coals will catch up slowly, and you will be able to hit the temp you want on the way up more consistently. You will also use less coal during the cook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back