MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #31
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
So do your briskets have any smoky flavor?

I'm still working on that one. Seriously, I guess I don't understand the question.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #32
gtsum
Babbling Farker

nice:)
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #33
Wyatt
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks I will use that
[B]Pit Master: Team Boy-B-Que[/B]
[I][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Grandpa's Griller[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]1 new UDS (Big Tex)[/FONT][/I]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][I]ECB (Smokin' Fox)[/I] Soon to be Modified.[/FONT]
Also is only a 13 year old:bow:
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #34
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I'm still working on that one. Seriously, I guess I don't understand the question.
Well, the faster you cook them the less smoke they pick up. Our 4 hour briskets we used to do on the weber didn't have very much smoke flavor. All I could ever taste was FAB.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #35
thirdeye

Quote:
Well, the faster you cook them the less smoke they pick up. Our 4 hour briskets we used to do on the weber didn't have very much smoke flavor. All I could ever taste was FAB.
Oh, gotcha. Regardless of the main body and finish pit temp (either low or higher temp) of the cook, I always start off in a low temp cooker for two or three hours. Partially for the benefit of the smoke ring, but also for flavor. I guess I figure since the ring stops at 135°-140° the internal is not going to accept any more smoke flavor either.

This leaves the additional flavor that is developed on the surface from the 3 hour point to the finish.....yeah, I would have to agree with you in that when doing a hot main body and finish, less time in the pit would equal less smoke flavor deposited onto the surface. I do have chips mixed in with my charcoal from the get go, and only use big pieces at the beginning, so maybe that subtle flavor from them helps me out.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 AM   #36
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Your post came at the same time I was going to bring up a question on smoke rings. I've seen some Pics of Texas briskets that have a smoke ring as thick as heck. Recently I ate at a local Q joint that cooks with 100% wood logs, no gas or electric. I ate the brisket and noiticed the ring wasn't that thick. This got me thinking that some of the pics I see on forums with a thick ring are chemically induced. Yours proved my theory. I was going to do the same thing on my next cook. Apply TQ and rinse off. Thanks for sharing.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #37
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

I never seem to have a problem with smokerings on my briskets. I have noticed that when I am using my offset with straight oak/hickory or oak/mesquite that the ring is alot darker and thicker than say on the WSM or the BGE. This past weekend we cooked a comp and I cooked 2 flats one was 7.5 lbs other was a little over 8lbs. both injected with butchers bbq and rubbed with tx bbq rub. I ran the pit hotter than normal at about 280 tried not to let it get below 260. They were done in about 6 hours I think no more than that for sure. I wrapped in foil at the 165 mark. They both were 2 of the prettiest briskets I have turned out and really good flavor. I took 5th place with em. and this post is completely useless due to the fact that I was to drunk to remember to take pictures. I can snap a photo of the left overs if ya want =)

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #38
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
I was gonna start my own thread about a my first high heat Kettle brisket that I made yesterday, but never took pics since the wife had the camera and I was doing yardwork all day long. I know the rule.....no pics dint happen.
I learned quite a few things. First, high heats can be very tasty, juicy, tender. I used Stubbs coal, the Kettle, and one fist sized cherry chunk placed on the grate just over the coals so it would burn slowly.
For the brisket, it was a small 8lb packer. I also wanted to try Funk's Dalmation rub. The amount of salt was something I wanted to experience. It was a Kosher salt, coarse pepper, and garlic powder rub. I made my own little variation and slathered the brisket with Louisianna hot sauce for stickage factor. I cooked at between 350-375 and the Kettle held a steady temp on one load of coals just like a champ.
I also didnt want to foil at all on this one. So when I hit a temp of 195, I pulled it, put it in a dish, and let it counter rest with a sheet of foil just resting on top of it.
The verdict..............not much of a smoke ring at all. I'll post a pic of the ring when I make brisket sammies for lunch. Smoke flavor was good for me. Could have used a little more, but was good as is. It cooked in a little over 4.5 hours. The Dalmation rub did bring some salt to the party, but what I noticed was that most of the salt bark got knocked off when I pulled it off the kettle, so that tamed the saltiness. The rub that was left on the brisket was just perfect to give each slice of meat the right amount of flavor it needed. Hot sauce gave this briskie a real nice color, didnt notice any big flavor from the sauce, but it added a nice deep red color. Overall, it was still oozing juice when I separated the point and flat and there was more juice in the pan then I've had come out of a briskie in a long time.
I will do high heats more often. The time factor is a bonus. We were eating dinner by 7 instead of midnight.

I'll be putting what I learned and Wayne info together to hopefully refine the whole process. Thanks Wayne.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #39
thirdeye

The one thing about the Dalmation rub is the size of the salt is fine and the pepper is coarse. The ingredients themselves are not a secret by any means and I've used that combination for many years, usually just sprinkling them a brisket on one at a time, not really measuring. But like you I used kosher salt.

Then, a couple of years ago Thillin mentioned he was going through Lockhart and since they will sell the rub at both Kreuz and Smitty's (store only , not on their website) I asked for some of each. I hadn't been through there in 7 or 8 years. I immediately noticed the grind size and also noticed the flavors are better when it's mixed for a while, than when the three ingredients are combined at the last minute. Now I make large batches and store it in a mason jar. In addition to beef, I really like it on sauteed onions.

Now I use canning salt, it has a fine grind and is a pure salt product. I think the size of the salt makes a difference for the absorbtion too. Maybe Donny will jump in on this.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #40
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Now I use canning salt, it has a fine grind and is a pure salt product. I think the size of the salt makes a difference for the absorbtion too. Maybe Donny will jump in on this.
I've been wondering about this also. When you give a ratio of lets say one part salt, one part pepper and 1 part Montreal seasoning, it can REALLY vary depending on how coarse the grind is. You could end up with twice as much (or half as much) of an ingredient. The difference between one cup of regular salt, Morton's kosher salt and Diamond kosher salt is pretty significant.

It would be nice if all recipes (not just here) would either give the exact brand of salt, or use weight instead of volume. Would save some experimenting time.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #41
thirdeye

I do list weight of salt in all my brine recipes, you get much better consistancy.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #42
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Interesting. I'm going to make a batch for future use. I can see how letting it set for a long while would help the flavors blend with one another. Do you use s and p only, or do you add anything else like garlic powder?
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #43
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Then, a couple of years ago Thillin mentioned he was going through Lockhart and since they will sell the rub at both Kreuz and Smitty's (store only , not on their website) I asked for some of each. I hadn't been through there in 7 or 8 years. I immediately noticed the grind size and also noticed the flavors are better when it's mixed for a while, than when the three ingredients are combined at the last minute. Now I make large batches and store it in a mason jar.
Donny's three ingredients in his video were salt, pepper and lemon pepper. Are these the same three ingredients in the Kreuz rub? If so, what would you say the grain size was for each of the three? Do you measure yours by weight or just use a consistent grain size?
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #44
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Here's a few pics of my hot and fast kettle brisket smoke rings. These briskets turned out great and everyone really liked the flavor. I just use salt, pepper and graunulated garlic.

Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #45
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Donny's three ingredients in his video were salt, pepper and lemon pepper. Are these the same three ingredients in the Kreuz rub? If so, what would you say the grain size was for each of the three? Do you measure yours by weight or just use a consistent grain size?

I'm using salt, pepper and cayenne. I have a feeling this is going to come down to a personal taste thing, and the finished "look" is going to be a good indicator. So, since I'm working from home today, I just went in and mixed a fresh batch. But let me start at the beginning and get back to the recipe I like the best. Like I mentioned, in the rub I'm using....the grind of the salt and cayenne is fine and the pepper is coarse, which leads to some settling issues if it's not in a big container which allows shaking before each use. Even when pouring it from the jar, it's hard to keep the mixture right so I take tablespoon sized scoops out and sprinkle them one at a time to insure the correct ratio of salt and pepper. (This is much easier than it sounds)

The various recipes I have in my notes are below. Donny indicated the ratios in #1. The others came from a newspaper article, a cook book, and a TV cooking host that had been to Kreuz Market. (When I used to sprinkle salt and pepper on by hand on by hand I would guess the salt to pepper ratio to be 2:1).

------------------
1 cup salt
1/2 cup pepper
-------------------
1 Cup fine salt
1/2 Cup coarse pepper
cayenne
-------------------------
3/4 C salt
1/4 C black pepper
2-3 T Cayenne
-------------------------------
3/4 cup salt
1/4 cup cracked black peppercorns
2 to 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
-----------------------------------

From the looks of the salt/pepper ratio - #3, and #4 looked like the rub I got from Kreuz and Smittys. The salt was off-white indicating the cayenne, and you could taste it too. (During the time I was using them, I did wind up adding some additional black pepper to them).

When I made my first batch from a recipe, I went heavier on the pepper like the ratio in #2, but I found that the cayenne called for was more than the Smitty's or Kreuz rub had. It was too over powering. I also found that in addition to coarse pepper, a little regular grind black pepper helped keep everything a little more balanced.

Now the recipe I use is:

1-1/2 Cup canning salt
1/3 Cup coarse black pepper
1 Tablespoon regular grind black pepper
2 Tablespoons Cayenne

Here is a shot right before mixing, and a shot of it all mixed up.