This is what I paid for my first UDS!

I paid $10.00 for the food grade barrel, $12.95 for a 22.5" Weber replacement grate (Walmart on sale), took the charcoal grate from a dead kettle $0.00, expanded metal for the charcoal basket 10" x 60" $5.00, two handles and assorted hardware $9.67 (Lowes), a candy thermometer $4.65 (Walmart), and a bag of charcoal $9.60, grand total $51.87 along with a 10 lb bag chicken quarters for $4.98 (Walmart), $56.85.

Though that one one craiglist does have a nice side table and mine doesn't. :wink:

I remember your early posts that the intakes were done with a torch and you stuck foil in the holes to adjust temps. May still be the best way to BBQ brother, at least for the backyark folk.

WOW!...160.00 bucks...we HAVE come a long way. I think mine cost 10.00 bucks...and that was for the thermometer. Everything else but the drum was donated to me by Swamprb. Thanks again bro! :p

My first UDS...

IMG_4025.jpg

Last edited:
So far, half-way through the build, no money invested. Just keep my eye out for anything that looks like i might be able to make something out of to make smoke with.

I scavenged everything and I think I've got about 20 bucks in mine.

102_3993.jpg

My first drum was cheap only having to buy the Weber grate on ebay for $10.00 and a temp guage for the same.
The sticker was about 12 but that's optional.

2rc1zra.jpg

Half Pint was cash free from start to finish.

30j4qgx.jpg

I have exactly $88 in each of my two UDSs. Started with new, unlined, open head drums, new grates (clearance at Academy Sports), stainless hardware and expanded steel for the charcoal baskets... 1" ball valves from Harbor Freight. Money well spent.

My first drum.....I think i had to buy the shelf brackets for 4 bucks.

By imn88fan

Lil stinker's making me drop my prices.......

Stickers actually work on the drums? I thought they would burn off! I would like to do something cool like that to mine when its done!

I think there are several people that have stickers on the UDS. Mine has been on for a good while now and only melted a bit at the bottom when the temps got out of control. * Lid off and forget mod*

I paid $40 for mine. The drum, kettle (lid and grate) and cheapo BBQ (ash pan) were all scavenged at the local transfer station (dump). The money was for stainless hardware, a stainless wire wheel and paint. That was when the Canadian dollar was par so it was really $40.

I found a place that makes new drums for $95 and thats the route I will go next time. The burn out and the wire wheeling was not fun.

Mike

Wouldn't consider this sticker cool!:biggrin:

LOL!!!! I wasnt actually referring to the "Dead Things" sticker....I was referring to stickers in general. Here in California, we dont like the "Dead Things". Im a Ducks season ticket holder, so you can imagine what I think!

Back