MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #196
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

This was our pork at Smoke in the Valley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pork5-14-10.jpg (64.1 KB, 2100 views)
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
[URL="http://www.redlionspicyfoods.com"]www.bigchippersbbq.com[/URL]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #197
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome! I am new around the Brethren as well but been screwing around with BBQ for a long time and am a CBJ. No where near Master Judge or even expert status but I will share my 2 pennies. And like the subjectiveness of bbq judging in general much on the appearance front is in the eyes of the beholder.

So how about this? A rundown off the top of my head (and in no particular order) of what I think makes a good KCBS turn-in box. Not going to comment on how the meat itself should look.
You can read what constitutes a DQ by reading the KCBS regs.

1. The garnish as intended is supposed to enhance the look of the product. Samples should sit above the plane (proud) of the garnish (not buried down in).
2. Neat and tidy - no sauce drips or smudges. After closing box open one last time to make sure the bottom of the lid isn't hitting the meat.
3. Appearance that some level of thought went into presentation/design and that the product wasn't just thrown into the box.
4. Keep it simple - to many go overboard or don't know when to stop adding garnish. Garnish between samples seems to draw your eye away from the product. Think of the garnish as the picture frame around a work of art. Should enhance but not become the focus.
5. Of course, the garnish should be fresh. Store the garnish the same way it was at the market. Mind that it doesn't end up covered in ice in your cooler. A couple hours before you begin assembling boxes cut the stems clean and place in water to plump things up.
6. 2nd part of #4 - Don't overcrowd. A consistent border around the product. If product is placed on the bias then each side should be somewhat symmetrical. Visual balance is key! If one side of the box looks "heavy" then you may want to moves things around a bit.
7. # of samples - 6 samples at a minimum but a couple extra is smart in case something happens en-route to the judges table. It is human nature to pick the best of the bunch. If the last judge has only one choice and it doesn't look that great, even though the overall appearance score has already been made I firmly believe subliminally it affects (however minor) the outcome of the remaining scores.
8. For ribs and brisket I like to see the cross-section of the meat highlighted. Judges are not supposed to factor the level of smoke ring but again there is the subliminal side to judging and a nice smoke ring makes the meat look more appetizing.

All I can think of for now and I'm sure I missed something obvious!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_cmc_2b View Post
Hello to everyone out there...

I am new here and plan on entering my first KCBS competition in April...Anyway after looking at every post in this thread I was hoping that maybe some of you good folks could tell us newbies exactly what made each box bad. I did see a couple that it was obvious but some looked good to me. Knowing why they were bad would make this thread much more beneficial (IMO).
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #198
B C BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

That's all well and good but it sounds to me like you are judging the garnish and want to judge the smoke ring too. As a judge shouldn't you compel yourself to focus on the meat and how that looks? When I look at a box I do my best to look at the meat primarily.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #199
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B C BBQ View Post
That's all well and good but it sounds to me like you are judging the garnish and want to judge the smoke ring too. As a judge shouldn't you compel yourself to focus on the meat and how that looks? When I look at a box I do my best to look at the meat primarily.
Hello - my above list was written from the perspective of a competitor not a judge. What our team trys to accomplish with our turn-in boxes...and trying to answer as asked what makes some of the pictures in this thread poor presentations...in my book as a competitor.

As a judge you only have a moment to make an appearance determination and yes you are judging the product and not the garnish. That said, the quality of the presentation (however subconscious) does affect the overall "appearance" of the meat. If that isn't the case then all the effort that goes into the presentation of our product and the discussion within this thread is mute!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #200
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'll say that, as a judge, I can tell, and all the other (experienced) judges can tell when that box is opened and passed around for appearance . . . it's really an overall wow factor.

All of those little details contribute to the overall wow effect.

A comment that experienced judges offer to inexperienced judges is to judge appearance on just how much the presentation makes you want to eat that Q! Typically those entries that appear neat and organized score the highest. Then come the little subliminal things like abundance (more than six samples), shininess (gloss from the sauce), uniformity (similar size and shape) and so forth.

So, those are also the things I concentrate on when I am creating my turn-in boxes.

What not to turn is simply a minimum number of disorganized samples that appear to not be cooked enough. That's what not to turn in.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #201
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Sometimes I'm a dumbass! MOOT not Mute!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #202
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Holy crap, this is the funniest thread ever!!! I guess its my turn. Here are the boxes from my first competition. I was so proud of these baby's I posted them on Facebook for everyone to see. Hahah I can't believe no one told me they look FARKING horrible. Can't imagine why I didnt win!

Ryan Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #203
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chester View Post
I can't believe no one told me they look FARKING horrible.
They don't look that bad - I've seen much, much worse.

Once I saw a chicken entry that was six thumb-sized plugs of breast meat. No garnish. No sauce. Nothing else but the six plugs all rolling around in the turn-in box.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #204
BigBrad
On the road to being a farker

Two bad boxes from last weekend. 36th brisket and 32 ribs out of 39teams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0064.jpg (62.5 KB, 2036 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0062.jpg (97.4 KB, 2043 views)

Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #205
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Two bad boxes from last weekend. 36th brisket and 32 ribs out of 39teams.
I am new to this site and I am entering my first competition in August. I have been barbecuing for about 2 years and your picture of ribs looks good to me. What am I not seeing? What should I know to do and not do for my first entry?
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #206
BigBrad
On the road to being a farker

On those two boxes the appearance scores were 7's,8's,9's so the look is not that bad. The problem was in taste and tenderness, the brisket was undercooked and tough and the ribs were undercooked also. Problem with temps on a new cooker The key to appearance is to suttle garnish and meat that jumps out and says eat me. Good Luck.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #207
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Default Worst turn in box

My turn...This was the pork turn in at my first comp.

Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #208
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post

I like the mini pieces of bark! Thats funny.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #209
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post

I really like how you highlighted the corners of the box with parsley...kind of reminds me of one of our 1st turn in boxes...except we poured ALL the juice from the foil into the pulled pork..........

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #210
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

This was from our first ever KCBS contest. This placed 4th. What a hot mess.

What appears to be brisket from the same contest.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote