MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Default Competition bug got me!

I went to the BBQ Battle in DC and now I am officially hook and determined to compete. It looked like a load of fun. Here's my questions:

I have cooked on a WSM for years and have had great results for friends and family. But for competition I am considering getting a Bubba grills 250R or Lang 60. Is that overkill?

I saw some competitors using WSM/BGE/etc but they had several in their areas. It seems since everything is being cook at 250, one smoker would make it more convenient.

My thoughts are that tending 2-3 22 WSM and a 18.5 WSM could be a headache. They are great and I love mine but right now I one, which is definitely not enough space for competition.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome to the dark side.

Overkill? Nope.

Tim (The_Kapn) and I started with multiple cookers and said "fark that" after about three events.

A larger cooker (like the Lang) gives you flexibility, too. Personally, I'd go with an 84 - but that's just me.
But, you can certainly compete and do well with multiple WSMs and it'll be cheaper to start out.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

2 WSMs and a kettle is plenty grillestate for a comp and not nearly as much trouble as feeding a stick-burner every couple of hours. That's my opinion anyway.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Multiple WSMS too much trouble?? Wait, we've been doing it wrong!

People cook everything at 250 if everything's going into one cooker at 250. Even so, you'll find warmer and cooler spots in a cooker, and can take advantage of that. On the flip side, each meat needs tending when it needs tending, and with one cooker you're exposing all your meats to the temp swing, however brief, when you open up to do something.

I can't imagine that two more WSMs and a Stoker could cost more than a Lang, so what it really breaks down to is, what do YOU want to cook on? What can you transport comfortably?

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

It's hard to fit all the meats into one WSM, especially the 18.5 inch, so people that use them use more than one. Not everyone cooks everything at the same temp either.

You are right that it's more work to cook that way, but teams can and do win with.that approach. An offset like a Lang or Klose pit will let you fit everything in, but still need some fire tending. Another option is a vertical smoker like a Backwoods , Stumps, Spicewine, etc. They will have longer burn times, and hence less messing about with the fire. Pellet smokers like the FEC100 give you "push a button" fire tending.

It depends on how mch work you want to do, how much money you want to spend, and what style smoker compliments your cooking. It is the cook, not the cooker, but you will likely have to adjust your process to suit the smoker you choose.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The Lang or Bubba wouldn't be overkill at all. You see a lot of similar cookers at competitions. But, you can also compete successfully with WSMs, so don't feel that you have to spend the money right away. Also, the WSMs will allow you to get some sleep while the Lang/Bubba will require some tending all night. You should probably also look at some of the insulated cabinet smokers like a Spicewine, Backwoods, etc. They will give you the ability to have one cooker but also get some sleep if that's important.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Buy one of all of them and decide from there. Can't have too many smokers.

Welcome to the addiction.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

If for some reason you want a Lang for competetion, several teams cook on the 48 and have plenty of room.
I am fond of both the 48 and the 60 and would be looking at them if I ever decided to leave pellets (ain't gonna happen ).

WSMs are lighter and easier to tote around.
As you know, they put out great que.

Do you really want a new cooker just for competetion, which you have not experienced yet?
Or do you want to expand/upgrade your cookers for home use also.

Your decision, just some thoughts.

TIM

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Buy one of all of them and decide from there. Can't have too many smokers.

He's right!

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

I am going to compete next season in a couple of local events. I have decided on the WSM 22.5" even though I cook at home on a chargriller pro. My reasons are mainly, because I don't have a way to get my chargriller to the competitions, and a WSM will be easier for me to cart around, since it comes apart. That, and when I walked around the local festival, I noticed that a lot of the teams had at least one WSM, whether it was the 18" or the 22".

Good luck, and definitely let us know what your experience is like. I plan on doing the same once I get started.
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Do you planning on doing this yourself as a one man team? If so I would go with the WSM which is more of a set it and forget cooker vs the bubba grill or lang that you have to keep feeding all night.

I like my beauty sleep.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the wonderful (expensive) world of competition BBQ! We cook on 4 WSM's and it works well for us. I like that I can manipulate each cooker for each type of meat whether it be temp, moisture, wood type, amount of smoke, etc.

If I can offer you any piece of advice beyond cooker selection, I would HIGHLY recommend taking a class. I didn't and wish I did because it reduces the learning curve SIGNIFICANTLY!!! I know many guys who took a class and came out of the box with top 5 finishes overall where it took me a year+ to do that. You can easily make back the cost of a class back in a single comp so it will definitely be money well spend that pays huge dividends.

I know we don't compete for the $ but I would much rather make money or break even opposed to spend money.

Good luck to ya!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning towards the Bubba 250R and using a WSM (or two) for backfill. I do like the idea fleet of the 22" WSMs.

Is there a spreadsheet or web site that gives information on what things a new competitor needs (i.e. - tables, cutlery, sinks, etc.)
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_connoisseur View Post
Is there a spreadsheet or web site that gives information on what things a new competitor needs (i.e. - tables, cutlery, sinks, etc.)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108979

There is a checklist posted in this thread.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
Multiple WSMS too much trouble?? Wait, we've been doing it wrong!

People cook everything at 250 if everything's going into one cooker at 250. Even so, you'll find warmer and cooler spots in a cooker, and can take advantage of that. On the flip side, each meat needs tending when it needs tending, and with one cooker you're exposing all your meats to the temp swing, however brief, when you open up to do something.

I can't imagine that two more WSMs and a Stoker could cost more than a Lang, so what it really breaks down to is, what do YOU want to cook on? What can you transport comfortably?
These are pretty much my exact thoughts as well. Do you have room to store and the vehicle to tow around a big sidebox and do you want to tend a fire? We use 2 WSMs and it is perfect. They are very low maintenance and we started competing with a cheapo sidebox that wasn't too bad, but you still had to watch it. 2 WSM would be cheaper than the lang or bubba and if you wanted to upgrade you could always sell them for good $$ since they hold their value.